Suggested rides south of Norwich

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Suggested rides south of Norwich

Post by Vorpal »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the reply Vorpal.

I must say from my previous Dunwich runs the heath looked pretty perfect for a bit of furtive bivvying.

I was pretty sleep deprived by that stage though.

You might get away with it. Some areas, it's not a good idea, though, because you will disturb ground nesting birds. They have signs up about it in some areas, and request visitors keep to the paths.

I think there is a campgournd or holiday park or something between the National Trust place & the RSBP one. Maybe just out of sight of that would be a good place?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

simonhill wrote:All those luverly Suffolk places like Southwold, Dunwich, etc are well outside the OP's range of 25 - 50 kms, even with a bit of +.

I often stay at The Locks pub in Gelderston on the Waveney half way between Beccles and Bungay and have ridden out to Lodden for a morning ride. The countryside is good, no need for set route, just get a map. The towns of Beccles and Bungay are worth a visit. This would make a decent loop. The Locks is an excellent pub down a 1 km dirt track. No mains electricity.

As said above the Reedham Ferry could be worth a visit. From Loddon, it will probably be a there and back route of about 20kms, so you could add a bit of exploring. The countryside is OK, gives you some nice views of the Broads and the chain ferry crossing is something a bit different.

well since he is there for 2 weeks he might like to take the train from Reedham to extend his riding a bit? otherwise he will be going over the same roads for 2 weeks to get to new places? boring?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the reply Vorpal.

I must say from my previous Dunwich runs the heath looked pretty perfect for a bit of furtive bivvying.

I was pretty sleep deprived by that stage though.

Only thing is that area is Adder Land? you might wake up to find one sharing your bivvy bag? rather you than me

When I cycled around that area used to see dead ones pinned to fences....

maybe time for a hammock?
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Jul 2017, 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

remind me, are adders poisonous?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:remind me, are adders poisonous?

yes the only poisonous snakes here in the UK

and since you would be cycling not much in a state to get help....

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/adder

seems like the Forestry Commision loves them :roll:

"How we manage our woods

Most of the woods managed by the Forestry Commission are suitable for adders. The way we manage the woods - cutting down older trees and planting young trees - provides excellent habitat. For the first 10 years as the young trees grow, adders can build up large populations unseen. Then as the tree canopy closes overhead, the snakes seek out the light and warmth that is available at the woodland edge. " ie you :lol:

seems like a protected species, dont know why, the only good adder is a dead one
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

:lol: I can't say that I've ever seen an adder there, but of course that doesn't mean they aren't there. The only place I have seen one was in Upminster.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I don't think it's poison that can do you serious harm though is it?
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sweep wrote:I don't think it's poison that can do you serious harm though is it?

Not usually. The bites can be quite painful, and produce other symptoms, but unless you are allergic, it is unlikely to do you any serious harm. Also, they aren't aggressive, and seldom bite people. They normally only bite when picked up or trodden upon.
raybo

Post by raybo »

Thank you to everyone for the ideas.

I've been to some of these places before by bicycle and look forward to visiting even more of them!
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you are planning on riding more than a few days, maybe put your bike on the car and drive to a different starting point.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
Sweep wrote:I don't think it's poison that can do you serious harm though is it?

Not usually. The bites can be quite painful, and produce other symptoms, but unless you are allergic, it is unlikely to do you any serious harm. Also, they aren't aggressive, and seldom bite people. They normally only bite when picked up or trodden upon.

unless it didnt like being kicked out of its warm bivvy bag :lol:

well people did use to die of the bites - just that no one has for 20 years due to interventions - but since you are traveling on a bike more likely to be too late :(

"A DAD has relived the moment a giant adder lunged at him, with its bite leaving him foaming at the mouth and unable to walk."

Hounslow Heath
of all places

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3324467/man-bitten-adder-snake-uk-this-morning/

another story

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/07/man-bitten-three-times-adder

or

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296520/Adder-bite-leaves-father-blinded-choking-just-minutes-death-walk-family.html

"Children bitten by an adder will usually make a full recovery in about one to three weeks but adults usually require more than three weeks to recover fully. Some adults can take up to nine months." would spoil your holiday
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Jul 2017, 9:31am, edited 4 times in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

mercalia wrote:[

seems like a protected species, dont know why, the only good adder is a dead one

I'm sorry, but I think this comment is beyond contemp. If you don't like our indigenous species then stay out of the countryside.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NHS wrote:Deaths from adder bites are rare. There have been 14 reported deaths since records began in 1876, with the last death in 1975.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-snak ... ction.aspx
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

raybo: sorry about the thread derailment!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gVorpal wrote:
NHS wrote:Deaths from adder bites are rare. There have been 14 reported deaths since records began in 1876, with the last death in 1975.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-snak ... ction.aspx

Thanks for that link vorpal. Useful. And reassuring, though the info that adders have slitted pupils is i think of limited use. Not planning to give one the eye. I'll take my chances I think.
Sweep