WOTR

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hjd10

WOTR

Post by hjd10 »

Morning,

I've just completed the WOTR with my son, we stayed in Driffield on the last night as we couldn't get picked up until the 4th day. We both enjoyed the route although I think next time I'd like to use B&Bs/Hotels rather than camping.
I've got a couple of pics and anyone thinking about doing the WOTR, I can recommend the route as its nice and quiet with some stunning scenery.

Regards,
raj

Re: WOTR

Post by raj »

I can recommend the route as its nice and quiet with some stunning scenery

Yep, can vouch for that - was my first ever bike tour last September, B & B's (Burnsall and York). Great contrast in scenery between Yorkshire Dales and Vale of York, but found scenery on last day a bit nondescript, even tedious at times. Climb out of Settle is epic. Arrival into Yorkshire Dales village Burnsall on warm sunny afternoon followed by a few beers in riverside pub unforgettable. Long descent into Pateley Bridge in driving rain next day was interesting - appreciated the hydraulic discs on my (then) new road bike. Curry in York city a complete contrast to previous Dales pub meal. Really great route, loved (almost) every minute of it.
loafer

Post by loafer »

Last edited by loafer on 20 Jul 2017, 4:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Oh I see you have some sorted for the W2W route as well. I'd like to try that next. :wink:
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

raj wrote:
I can recommend the route as its nice and quiet with some stunning scenery

Yep, can vouch for that - was my first ever bike tour last September, B & B's (Burnsall and York). Great contrast in scenery between Yorkshire Dales and Vale of York, but found scenery on last day a bit nondescript, even tedious at times. Climb out of Settle is epic. Arrival into Yorkshire Dales village Burnsall on warm sunny afternoon followed by a few beers in riverside pub unforgettable. Long descent into Pateley Bridge in driving rain next day was interesting - appreciated the hydraulic discs on my (then) new road bike. Curry in York city a complete contrast to previous Dales pub meal. Really great route, loved (almost) every minute of it.

The descent into Pately Bridge wasn't that bad although it was a little damp, I also have hydraulic disk brakes which were welcome. :wink:
The long climb out of Pocklington through the valley was nice however I know what you mean about the flatter sections.