Looking For Advice For Mosel/Rhein Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
plancashire

Re: Looking For Advice For Mosel/Rhein Tour

Post by plancashire »

There's a train line that runs along the Mosel. You can find the times at Trier Hbf (main station) or online here (in German):
http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas/kbview.exe/dn?st_name=Trier+Hbf%238000134&st_filter=&cat_name=&searchmode=station&mainframe=result&orig=sS&dosearch=1&oblig_st=1&submitButton=Suche+starten

There is probably a Deutsche Bahn "Infopoint" or "Reisezentrum" at Trier Hbf where you can ask for information. If you tell them where and when you want to travel they can print you a personal travel plan.

Sometimes bike carriage is limited at certain times of the day. Reservation is usually needed only on the longer distance trains such as IC and EC. You usually need to buy an extra ticket for the bike - local regulations vary but where I live for local trains (S, RE, RB) it is called a "Zusatzticket" (extra ticket). Depending on the train type you may have to use a particular carriage. Some on-platform indicators give you some vague clue about where to stand (lettered positions) but the best bet is to find a Deutsche Bahn person to tell you. Sometimes they don't know!

Don't worry too much about all this: lots of people take bikes by train so everyone is used to it.

Viel Glück beim Radfahren!
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Trier is very interesting, the Porta Nigra (black gate) was built by the Romans and there are lots of events to do with Karl Marx who was born in 1818
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

There's an amphitheatre too but you have to walk (or cycle!) a little way out of town. You can go under the floor where some of the animals were kept. Worth a visit.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.