My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
StephenPeel

Re: My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Post by StephenPeel »

Bonefishblues wrote:You were missing a gear before, too?

:), well sort of. The conversion to chain drive meant having different sprockets and sizes. I still have the 14 gears of course but there is now one less high gear and one more lower gear. Gear 14 is now what gear 13 was I suppose. I did request it this way but wasn't sure it would be that noticeable, but it is. Although I sometimes used 14 as it was, it wasn't vital, whereas another granny gear was more important to me with the loads on hills, as I do find myself stopping on steep hills to catch my breath and rest my legs, and I don't like standing up, I don't trust my bulk on the pedals :). I think if I were to say anything to anyone just starting out who doesn't usually cycle, it would be to get as low a granny gear as you can.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ah I see, you tweaked the ratios lower - you'll see the "lowest gear you can get" recommendation on here often. Wise choice :wink:
horizon

Post by horizon »

StephenPeel wrote: I think if I were to say anything to anyone just starting out who doesn't usually cycle, it would be to get as low a granny gear as you can.

I think people would do almost anything other than lower their front gear ratios: they would rather pay thousands for an impractical exotic frame material, put on an electric motor, stand up to cycle ( :lol: ), give up cycling, remove their mudguards, put 11 or who knows, 12, sprockets on the back, get rid of any useful luggage, rename the bike (gravel/adventure, that sort of thing) to hide the change and so it goes on. We are totally hooked on the image of machismo and speed and it's only the full-on tourists who recognise the benefit and luxury of really low gears. It is so sad.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote:
StephenPeel wrote: I think if I were to say anything to anyone just starting out who doesn't usually cycle, it would be to get as low a granny gear as you can.

I think people would do almost anything other than lower their front gear ratios: they would rather pay thousands for an impractical exotic frame material, put on an electric motor, stand up to cycle ( :lol: ), give up cycling, remove their mudguards, put 11 or who knows, 12, sprockets on the back, get rid of any useful luggage, rename the bike (gravel/adventure, that sort of thing) to hide the change and so it goes on. We are totally hooked on the image of machismo and speed and it's only the full-on tourists who recognise the benefit and luxury of really low gears. It is so sad.

What people?
Not those who buy Rohloffs :wink:
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

horizon wrote:

If I could get a couple more lower gears than I have, I would :). It would be like cycling on the spot almost, but hey :).
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

https://www.cyclingabout.com/video-koga ... ring-bike/
It will be interesting to see if this guy experiences similar problems. He is planning to cycle from Alaska to Argentina using a Rohloff hub and Gates belt drive and seems to be sponsored by Koga.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

StephenPeel wrote:
horizon wrote:

If I could get a couple more lower gears than I have, I would :). It would be like cycling on the spot almost, but hey :).

Beats standing on the spot by the side of a big hill :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pedalsheep wrote:https://www.cyclingabout.com/video-koga-worldtraveller-touring-bike/
It will be interesting to see if this guy experiences similar problems. He is planning to cycle from Alaska to Argentina using a Rohloff hub and Gates belt drive and seems to be sponsored by Koga.

If he is sponsored by Koga what's betting we won't hear of any downsides with the bike :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

pedalsheep wrote:https://www.cyclingabout.com/video-koga-worldtraveller-touring-bike/

Alee and I have chatted, and I think he was weighing up the pro's and con's of both the chain and the belt at the time. I don't know if there is any sponsorship deal involved though, but hey, if there was then good luck to him, because if someone sponsored me a bike for my tour, I would be singing their praises from the rooftops ;)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

StephenPeel wrote:

Alee and I have chatted, and I think he was weighing up the pro's and con's of both the chain and the belt at the time. I don't know if there is any sponsorship deal involved though, but hey, if there was then good luck to him, because if someone sponsored me a bike for my tour, I would be singing their praises from the rooftops ;)

I have a feeling you'd still be pretty straightforward in identifying any reliability shortfalls that arose Stephen :wink:
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Bonefishblues wrote:Ah I see, you tweaked the ratios lower - you'll see the "lowest gear you can get" recommendation on here often. Wise choice :wink:

When Thorn built my Raven I simply said I wanted a low gear that was below 20 inches. Not sure what they did but I've never had to get off and push because the hill was too steep - I had to push uphill in Patagonia several times because the "road" surface was large bits of volcanic gravel making the bike unstable to ride, and walk downhill for the same reason. There was a long chat with Thorn and I accepted all their recommendations on setting the bike up, and which one to buy for what I wanted to do. Would do the same again. Found Thorn to be reliable and full of good advice. Now I just ring up and say I want a replacement component and they look up what i had last time and send that.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Bonefishblues wrote:
StephenPeel wrote:

I have a feeling you'd still be pretty straightforward in identifying any reliability shortfalls that arose Stephen :wink:

:) No doubt about it.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

MartinBrice wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Ah I see, you tweaked the ratios lower - you'll see the "lowest gear you can get" recommendation on here often. Wise choice :wink:

When Thorn built my Raven I simply said I wanted a low gear that was below 20 inches. Not sure what they did but I've never had to get off and push because the hill was too steep - I had to push uphill in Patagonia several times because the "road" surface was large bits of volcanic gravel making the bike unstable to ride, and walk downhill for the same reason. There was a long chat with Thorn and I accepted all their recommendations on setting the bike up, and which one to buy for what I wanted to do. Would do the same again. Found Thorn to be reliable and full of good advice. Now I just ring up and say I want a replacement component and they look up what i had last time and send that.

To be honest, I haven't pushed up a tarmac hill yet myself. I have stopped to rest my screaming legs every 50 metres though. I think I must have stopped more than 20 times on one massively long steep and high hill. Sweat p#ss#ng out of me and veins above my temples the size of rattlesnakes, but no pushing. I find it much easier to do little bursts than to push. That said, on some really steep gravel and rocky tracks and caminos, I have had to get off and push because the wheel would be spinning on the spot, with the front wheel wanting to lift off the floor. I bet Patagonia was an amazing experience. It seems like a popular cycling touring destination.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

StephenPeel wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:You were missing a gear before, too?

:), well sort of. The conversion to chain drive meant having different sprockets and sizes. I still have the 14 gears of course but there is now one less high gear and one more lower gear. Gear 14 is now what gear 13 was I suppose. I did request it this way but wasn't sure it would be that noticeable, but it is. Although I sometimes used 14 as it was, it wasn't vital, whereas another granny gear was more important to me with the loads on hills, as I do find myself stopping on steep hills to catch my breath and rest my legs, and I don't like standing up, I don't trust my bulk on the pedals :). I think if I were to say anything to anyone just starting out who doesn't usually cycle, it would be to get as low a granny gear as you can.

Hi - again
As previously stated my Koga is now nearly 10 years old. Back then you could get alternative sprockets to change the standard
16T sprocket to either 15T or 17T. I never went further with this cos you need/needed a special tool to get sprocket on/off

On search today I find this:-
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/roh ... gKgyPD_BwE
I seems you can now get 15,16,17,18,19 or 21T versions and the tool is not needed - so says this web page
"These new sprockets are fixed on a plug pinion adapter (Splined-Carrier) that comes with a lock ring."
- I would love to see a pic of one of these fitted - what exactly is a 'Splined-Carrier' - and how does it fit on?
More investigation on my part is needed I think - next stop uTube I think.

So I guess a 21T sprocket would give a very low gear ratio - would be nice to travel with about 3 of these and fit one according to
conditions you are about to encounter. Its all extra weight to carry of course but it may be worth it.
Heres a pic of my lovely new rear wheel with new Rohloff in Jan 2011 sporting the standard 16T sprocket
P1161186_3.jpg

Note: This is a 26" wheel - the spokes and rim are special for the Rohloff (bought from Starbike.com (Germany))
I always carry about 5 extra spokes when on tour just in case of breakages, but none so far.
Mark Beaumont seemed to have trouble at the beginning of his round the world trip (2007) on a Signature with 700 wheels -
it seems that size wheel+Rohloff is more prone to spokes breaking if not fitted with correct spokes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Beaumont

You probably know all this already - but its January and I have to do something when its raining
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Or you could have two chainrings up front and because you have a sprung chain tensioner,stop and change to the smaller ring by hand when needs must therebye having a 2x14sp Rohloff system,that could make very wide gear range indeed :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden