My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bonefishblues

Re: My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:Or you could have two chainrings up front and because you have a sprung chain tensioner,stop and change to the smaller ring by hand when needs must therebye having a 2x14sp Rohloff system,that could make very wide gear range indeed :)

What would be the big ring capacity of the tensioner, out of (rough) interest?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Or you could have two chainrings up front and because you have a sprung chain tensioner,stop and change to the smaller ring by hand when needs must therebye having a 2x14sp Rohloff system,that could make very wide gear range indeed :)

I just ran a two ring system through a gear calc and came up with a 40/34t c/set and an 16t sprocket which gave a 16.5 to 102 inch range with 700x40 wheel drop sprocket change the wheel size to 559x40mm and you get a 15 to 93 inch range,I reckon the tensioner would handle that and that 102inch is a big enough gear for any normal human being :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

I just ran a two ring system through a gear calc and came up with a 40/34t c/set and an 16t sprocket which gave a 16.5 to 102 inch range with 700x40 wheel drop sprocket change the wheel size to 559x40mm and you get a 15 to 93 inch range,I reckon the tensioner would handle that and that 102inch is a big enough gear for any normal human being :wink:

15-93's enough for me - I'm no Mick F :D
PH

Post by PH »

rollinbone wrote:- I would love to see a pic of one of these fitted - what exactly is a 'Splined-Carrier' - and how does it fit on?
M

This is a bit off topic as the Koga's belt drive and I don't know if there are any comparisons between it's components and those of the new chain splined sprockets.
The chain version of the splined carrier looks like this
Be aware there's two sizes, a slim version that maintains the same chainline but I think can't be used with the smaller sprockets, and the slim version which can be used for sprockets 15 and above.
The carrier fits in the same way a threaded sprocket would and the splined sprocket is held with a ring. Once you've taken the hit on the cost of the carrier, the sprockets are considerably cheaper (Half the price in the size I use) spare snap rings should you need one are 99p.
I changed mine a couple of months ago, it was straightforward. There won't be the choice for long, Rohloff have discontinued the threaded version.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

Thanks for pic

I've been investigating this one today and it seems, from the Rohloff web site that the old optional rings are now discontinued.
So I'm behind the times with this.
I guess I would still have to fork out £25.82 (Rose bikes) for a removal tool just to get the old 16T one off?

Sri, didn't mean to hijack this thread
PH

Post by PH »

rollinbone wrote:I guess I would still have to fork out £25.82 (Rose bikes) for a removal tool just to get the old 16T one off?

I'd either find a shop or someone who has one, mine is now probably redundant but I'll hang onto it anyway in the unlikely event I need to take the carrier off sometime. Where are you?
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

PH wrote:
rollinbone wrote:I guess I would still have to fork out £25.82 (Rose bikes) for a removal tool just to get the old 16T one off?

I'd either find a shop or someone who has one, mine is now probably redundant but I'll hang onto it anyway in the unlikely event I need to take the carrier off sometime. Where are you?

Manchester: thinking I may leave this conversion 'til end of year
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

rollinbone wrote:Manchester: thinking I may leave this conversion 'til end of year

If you find yourself coming over Scarborough way PM me.....I have everything you need.

Oh, and bring your rear wheel.... :)