My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

Re: My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Post by thirdcrank »

I missed this thread originally and when it resurfaced I didn't immediately notice the date. Looking at the pic in the OP, I had a couple of minor queries: why have bagloops with panniers? but thgat's explained by your using an existing saddle. I also wondered whether the mudguards might have been longer, but hardly a big deal. The belt drive was the thing that really caught my attention. Apart from the comparative novelty (as compared with a bike chain) I remembered when we were collectively trying to give technical advice to forum member takeonafrica who really was in Africa with a Rohloff-equipped bike. It's a long and interesting thread but this pic of a sprocket showing signs of a little wear had me wondering if the belt-drive might be more suitable for this type of ride till I reached the description of your own problems.

viewtopic.php?p=328420#p328420

Re the problems with the belt-drive, it sounds as though the manufacturers have released something before it's been properly developed. It's disappointing: do they assume that nobody will ride far from home?

Also, this was bought as a complete bike and as you imply somewhere above, "World Travel" does encourage certain expectations. This isn't as though you have cobbled together something on a wing and a prayer.

It reminds us that if you buy anything by normal retail, your contract is with the retailer, even if they are almost totally dependent on the manufacturers for the solutions they can provide. This can put you in a difficult position with an lbs, where you are on good terms and don't want to get official.

Finally, I'll offer my belated good wishes for the rest of your ride when you resume. Speaking as somebody whose furthest foreign riding was the youth hostel at Sète overlooking the Med by which point you were hardly started, I'm filled with admiration for someone doing something which I'd not have the bottle to do. As the late Duffers might have said "Hat!" :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:
Re the problems with the belt-drive, it sounds as though the manufacturers have released something before it's been properly developed. It's disappointing: do they assume that nobody will ride far from home?

Also, this was bought as a complete bike and as you imply somewhere above, "World Travel" does encourage certain expectations. This isn't as though you have cobbled together something on a wing and a prayer.

Indeed, to the first. Koga continues to sell this combination, too, which compounds this issue IMHO (and also perhaps indicates something about the manufacturer's mindset, as does the "support" Stephen emphatically hasn't been given by Koga)

Indeed x2 to the second - this is not a cheap bike, in fact it's likely about the most costly "off the shelf" solution, which was very much the rationale for its purchase (off the shelf, that is, not cost!), as Stephen has clarified. He has every right to expect a "get on and ride, and ride..." solution.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

PH wrote:Sounds like a great trip, but how disappointing that you haven't had more support from supplier or manufacturer. If it had been my business that had sold you a product that wasn't fit for purpose and the fault was a known one, I'd have got a replacement to you pretty quickly.
My Rohloff has done around 70,000 miles, it's had a couple of issues, two cracked flanges and an oil leak, but hasn't been un-rideable at any time and they were sorted by the supplier (Thorn) within days. It has by far been more reliable and required a lot less maintenance than any derailleur bike I've owned. If I'd been choosing a bike for an extended tour, it would have had changeable dropouts allowing any gearing system to be used, but would certainly have started out with a Rohloff.

It makes you wonder how some businesses survive doesn't it. Been in business myself all my life and wouldn't dream of treating anyone like I have been treated. If I had a customer that was doing an around the world cycle in support of a children's charity like I am, I would have done everything I could to help them, and even if the weren't doing an around the world cycle and in support of a charity actually. Maybe any advertising is good advertising for some businesses, regardless of how negative.

I was so close to buying a Thorn Nomad and really wish of course, but now it's a case of making do with what I have and hoping for the best, which isn't a good way to be thinking on such an adventure I know.

When you say Thorn sorted the problem, are you saying they helped you from where you were elsewhere in the world, or just while you were in the UK? It would interesting to hear how some people have such great support from a bike manufacturer that sorted their issues while on tour, instead of them having to return home with the bike and leaving them to deal with the individual parts manufacturers.

What wonderful places have you covered on you 70k? Steve
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

thirdcrank wrote:Finally, I'll offer my belated good wishes for the rest of your ride when you resume. Speaking as somebody whose furthest foreign riding was the youth hostel at Sète overlooking the Med by which point you were hardly started, I'm filled with admiration for someone doing something which I'd not have the bottle to do. As the late Duffers might have said "Hat!" :wink:

Thanks. Yes, by the time I had reached Sète I had covered around 3200 km's, my look through the centre of Spain was a really wild and wonderful ride. I followed no prepared route, I just headed for Mardrid and tackled anything I came across, which made it feel a real adventure. Thanks again. Steve
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I agree with TC with all the above.
I've slowly come round to thinking that for long distant travel or as it's nowadays termed 'expedition cycling' a Rolhoff is a very capable bit of kit,though that's not from any real experience of such but more from reading the accounts of others' adventures.
As for the Gates belt drive Ive never thought they were for that kind of work,trouble free commuting maybe but not the back of beyond,dare I mention Outer Monglia :wink: :shock: .
A spare sprocket and tool,chainring and chain,either bagged up and left with a friend to post on or carried with you would be a better bet IMHO.
Anyway lesson learned and all that,along with my sympathies FWIW.Enjoy the rest of your adventure and best wishes :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In this world of social media, I'm surprised that some of those involved here haven't been more concerned about the implications for reputation, brand image etc. I can date the first time I heard the story about Rolls Royce never breaking down to when I was nine, in the 1950's. That was long before many people had a telephone, never mind the internet.

https://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/rolls.asp
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

reohn2 wrote: dare I mention Outer Monglia... A spare sprocket and tool,chainring and chain,either bagged up and left with a friend to post on or carried with you would be a better bet IMHO. Anyway lesson learned and all that,along with my sympathies FWIW.Enjoy the rest of your adventure and best wishes :D

:), if nobody else had mentioned Outer Mongolia, I would have done so myself. Rohloff have serviced the hub and changed the oil, spare front and rear sprockets / cogs are being included, along with spare carrier and release clip, heavy duty chain, chainglider, tools so that I can change the carrier myself and reverse the sprockets / cogs, which is an arrangement Rohloff and I reached over a telephone conversation recently. Rohloff are also providing new front and rear sprockets so that I can revert back to belt on my return if I want.

Cyclesense in Leeds are carrying out all the work which I'm pleased about, as I'm confident everything will be checked and double checked to give me confidence in my returning ride, and they are fitting a new bottom bracket for my peace of mind, new Schawlbe tyres and tubes, service, tools for chain tension and an oil change kit. Basically I will have plenty of spares to get me some distance all being well.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

StephenPeel wrote: ... Cyclesense in Leeds ...

Unless they've recently opened another shop, they are in Tadcaster, not Leeds. This is probably insignificant to anybody in Ulan Bator, but important for anyone intending to visit the shop. :D
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

thirdcrank wrote:
StephenPeel wrote: ... Cyclesense in Leeds ...

Unless they've recently opened another shop, they are in Tadcaster, not Leeds. This is probably insignificant to anybody in Ulan Bator, but important for anyone intending to visit the shop. :D

Yes I always seem to say Leeds for some reason. I think because I head out that way on the motorway from Cheshire.
horizon

Post by horizon »

While others were posting I was having lunch but reflecting on the issue. I'm in the "keep it simple" camp (forty years ago, I retrieved an old bike off a tip, did some rudimentary repairs and headed down through France well loaded with camping gear. I put the derailleur through the back wheel in Paris but I was on my way again the next day thanks to a local bike shop).

For me the lesson of the thread is that this is travel: without the trials and tribulations there would be no challenge (and we would learn nothing from others' experience). The OP has enjoyed (for want of a better word) the traveller's classic encounter with bureaucracy, technology and life. We all benefit from his story.

The people who make me despair are those who claim compensation when their "ideal holiday of a lifetime" goes wrong - travel isn't like that. So I too say hats off to the OP and look forward to finding out how he deals with it - the inside story, so to speak!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

StephenPeel wrote:When you say Thorn sorted the problem, are you saying they helped you from where you were elsewhere in the world, or just while you were in the UK?

I was in the UK each time, though don't suppose it would have made any difference where I'd been. First problem was the oil leak after three years, I was advised there would be enough oil in the hub to continue riding without doing damage, they sent me a gasket kit, with instructions how to change them, or if I'd prefer to use a bike shop they'd deal with them, all sorted within a couple of days. In the case of the first flange break, after six years use, they advised me how I could bodge it to continue riding and that having reported it nothing I did would effect the replacement, after it was posted I had it back within a week, they paid postage both ways. The recent flange crack took a little longer (Hub now 14 years old), Rohloff claimed the change in wheel size contributed to the crack, Thorn replaced it at their expense, I had the rim replaced at the same time and I paid for postage.

What wonderful places have you covered on you 70k?

I wish! Nothing as adventurous as your tour. About 50k of it has probably been to work and back, though I do several short tours and a at least one longer one a year. The hub has proved so reliable it gets used for 90% of my cycling despite having a couple of other decent bikes. The hub is now in it's third frame, I consider it the best cycling purchase I've made.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

PH wrote:
StephenPeel wrote:When you say Thorn sorted the problem, are you saying they helped you from where you were elsewhere in the world, or just while you were in the UK?

I was in the UK each time, though don't suppose it would have made any difference where I'd been. First problem was the oil leak after three years, I was advised there would be enough oil in the hub to continue riding without doing damage, they sent me a gasket kit, with instructions how to change them, or if I'd prefer to use a bike shop they'd deal with them, all sorted within a couple of days. In the case of the first flange break, after six years use, they advised me how I could bodge it to continue riding and that having reported it nothing I did would effect the replacement, after it was posted I had it back within a week, they paid postage both ways. The recent flange crack took a little longer (Hub now 14 years old), Rohloff claimed the change in wheel size contributed to the crack, Thorn replaced it at their expense, I had the rim replaced at the same time and I paid for postage.

What wonderful places have you covered on you 70k?

I wish! Nothing as adventurous as your tour. About 50k of it has probably been to work and back, though I do several short tours and a at least one longer one a year. The hub has proved so reliable it gets used for 90% of my cycling despite having a couple of other decent bikes. The hub is now in it's third frame, I consider it the best cycling purchase I've made.

It was other peoples experienced with Rohloff that made me choose the hub. Unfortunately all those that have had great experiences over long periods of time, were using the hub with the threaded carrier and not the new carrier. I can only hope I have got the grief out of the way, as being in a far away country with a knackered hub would be devastating. That said, I'm sure I will sort something out, I usually do.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

horizon wrote: The people who make me despair are those who claim compensation when their "ideal holiday of a lifetime" goes wrong - travel isn't like that. So I too say hats off to the OP and look forward to finding out how he deals with it - the inside story, so to speak!

For sure, I'm all about the adventure, I'm not a cyclist I'm a traveller who has chosen to travel around the world on a bicycle. I've had more adventure in these first few months than I thought I would get in a much longer journey, and you're right, it's how we deal with the hurdles. I did start off high when I first made my complaints, with the aim of settling with just getting my bike fixed to my satisfaction and my being back on the road, and to that end I was successful. To think, I'm only a few months and 3300 km's into this adventure, with years and 26,000 km's still to go, so I expect plenty more hurdles in the future :)
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Rohloff Speedhub and Gates Carbon Drive to Rohloff Speedhub and Chain

Bicycle on the back of my car. I didn't expect to see for about 3 years :).

The Gates belt has been replaced with a Campagnola Record 9 Speed chain, sprockets front and rear replaced to carry the chain of course. New splined carrier and clip installed.

Rohloff have also provided plenty of spares, at no charge including another set of rear sprockets, 2 more carriers and clip, and a new rear sprocket that will carry the belt if every I choose to revert back to the belt for which I still have. The hub has also been serviced and a fresh oil change, grease, tool, and chainglider also supplied. Cyclesense in Tadcaster carried out the work at no charge.

I also purchased other parts for other work I required, and Cyclesense carried out the work at no charge.

This included a new bottom bracket, 2 new 700x50 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres, disc brake pads and bicycle service.

After a brief ride today, the chain drive didn't seem noticeably noisier than the belt drive, and it also felt just as smooth. Changing gears is still smooth and I now have one more extra lower gear it seems, which is great.

I will be giving it some testing through Jan and Feb, and I'm feeling confident I've got all the bad news out of the way early. I'm looking forward to my return, and in the meantime I have taken on 2 full days of bicycle maintenance and repair, including wheel building and truing.

And while I'm at it, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all, and thanks for taking such an interest in my adventure. Steve
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You were missing a gear before, too?