Rhyl to Ruthin route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RickH

Rhyl to Ruthin route

Post by RickH »

Pre-amble: I'm heading to Ruthin in just under a week for the Welsh Festival of Cycling weekend there. As it is 5 nights in 1 location I was thinking of using my trailer & taking a few extras. That also means not encumbering my bike with racks that would be generally superfluous while there (I could run a 4 pannier setup instead if there were compelling reasons). I was planning to take the train to Rhyl & cycle to Ruthin from there so I was looking for a reasonably direct and reasonably flat route that I can make steady progress on.

This is what Cycle.travel & I have come up with so far - http://cycle.travel/map/journey/43158

My main queries
How accessible is the cycle path out of Rhyl? I don't mind negotiating the odd gate but too many can get tedious. The sensible alternative that avoids the path seems to be use minor roads (to avoid the A525) as much as possible out of Rhyl & then through Rhuddlan.
I can't see a way of avoiding the sharp climb on the B5381 towards Trefant (other than going up St Asaph High St & following the A525 instead) that doesn't add miles & extra climbing.
The cycle(/shared) paths alongside the busier stretches of road look to be OK from what I can see on Streetview but first hand recent experience could easily trump that.
Starting from a different station just seems to add miles and/or (mostly and) climbing unless I've missed anything obvious.

Any comments & suggestions welcome.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Graham O

Re: Rhyl to Ruthin route

Post by Graham O »

Hi,

Leaving Rhyl, the cycle path is pretty good. There are a couple of farm gates to open on the way to Rhuddlan, but they open wide, none of the cattle crush type IIRC.

The route you have is not too bad. Yes, the climb to Trefnant is pretty steep (= very steep), but the main road from St. Asaph to Trefnant is quite busy with fast traffic, although that is by North Wales standards. I've done it many times and just get on with it. I would also consider going into Rhuddlan and then http://cycle.travel/map/journey/45127 to Trefnant. It's gently undulating without any nasty climbs. From Trefnant follow your existing route.

I hope that helps,

Graham
(Hope to be going to the festival also.)
RickH

Re: Rhyl to Ruthin route

Post by RickH »

Graham O wrote:Hi,

Leaving Rhyl, the cycle path is pretty good. There are a couple of farm gates to open on the way to Rhuddlan, but they open wide, none of the cattle crush type IIRC.

The route you have is not too bad. Yes, the climb to Trefnant is pretty steep (= very steep), but the main road from St. Asaph to Trefnant is quite busy with fast traffic, although that is by North Wales standards. I've done it many times and just get on with it. I would also consider going into Rhuddlan and then http://cycle.travel/map/journey/45127 to Trefnant. It's gently undulating without any nasty climbs. From Trefnant follow your existing route.

I hope that helps,

Graham
(Hope to be going to the festival also.)

Thanks. The Rhuddlan to Trefant bit you suggest I'd looked at as an option. It is a mile or so further going that way but I'll probably do it to avoid hauling a load up that steep bit (the signage claims 15%). I might go that way on the return journey.

Hope to see you there.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.