Bicycles on Trains in Georgia (Caucusus)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ian5spot

Bicycles on Trains in Georgia (Caucusus)

Post by ian5spot »

Hi there, I am going cycling in Georgia in a couple of weeks and plan to take my bike on the train from Tbilisi to Batumi. Does anyone have any recent experience of taking bikes on this route?
Thanks
Ian
Sweep

Re: Bicycles on Trains in Georgia (Caucusus)

Post by Sweep »

Sorry, have no idea, but please do report back on your trip.

I have heard good things about Georgia, particularly for cycling trips.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As ever with any train query, try the Maninseat61 website. Lots of useful info. You can also contact 'the man' via the website.

Another option would be the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Georgia section. You can often get useful info from residents or ex pats.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... us/georgia

Enjoy.
ian5spot

Post by ian5spot »

Thanks - managed to call Georgian Railways and they told us to just book a ticket for ourselves and then pay separately for the bikes when we get to the station. Bikes will need to be 'dismantled', so I will take the bell off! Will let you know how it goes when we get back!
dondelion

Post by dondelion »

I was in Georgia for a few months a couple of years ago and had no problems putting my bike on local trains a couple of times. It cost a tiny amount and I just turned up and got on the train, no dismantling required. The bike just went in a goods carriage or in a space by the door. It might be different on the longer distance trains and if you are one them remember to be nice to your provodnitsa (conductor) or she can make your life hell...

Enjoy Georgia - the roads are terrible and the drivers worse but it's beautiful, tasty and hospitable. Gamarjos!

Any questions, ask away.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Was in Georgia last September. We purchased tickets from the main station in Tbilisi to travel with mountain bikes to get to the Svaneti area. In the end we didn't use the tickets, but I recall they were very cheap (less than £10 each). You can book tickets on-line beforehand, go to the website for the railways in Georgia (can't recall what it was but Google and you should find).

There's a lighthearted account of our trip here: https://yetey.wordpress.com/ . Lovely country and people, great trip on mountain bikes, if a little hard.

Enjoy the trip.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
ian5spot

Post by ian5spot »

Thanks for the link to your blog, Chat Noir. It gives a good indication of some of the challenges that could lie ahead!
biglia2000

Post by biglia2000 »

Hi to all.
Has anyone carried a bike on the night train from Tbilisi to Baku?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Chat Noir wrote:Was in Georgia last September. We purchased tickets from the main station in Tbilisi to travel with mountain bikes to get to the Svaneti area. In the end we didn't use the tickets,

<snip>

There's a lighthearted account of our trip here: https://yetey.wordpress.com/ .

Let me guess - you took bikes, but didn't use them.

:P
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Eh?

We cycled from Tbilisi to the Tusheti region and then back to Tbilisi - quite a challenging ride. Our plan to go on to the Svaneti region was overcome by a shortage of time so in the end we didn't use the rail tickets. I do know that generally there is no problem taking bikes on trains but couldn't comment specifically on the Baku night train.

Great place to visit and great place to cycle - enjoy the ride.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

biglia2000 wrote:Hi to all.
Has anyone carried a bike on the night train from Tbilisi to Baku?

Are you going to Euros in June? I'm flying from Cardiff to Baku then from there to Rome. The bike will be staying at home
Richard M
Cardiff