Cycling through Petworth Park, West Sussex

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ebor62

Re: Cycling through Petworth Park, West Sussex

Post by ebor62 »

Thanks Andy for the route information. Will give it a try when solo. Best of luck with the National Trust. A lot of the parks are such special places of calm and beauty we need to try and keep access. Not guilty of Hungry Guest. Petworth House was our official stop, before heading over Black Down.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

A quick update: Spoke to the Landscape Manager at Petworth who was very negative about cycle access in general (I've given up on getting permission for my group, just suggesting that they might like to look at cycle access for the longer term, to allow visitors to avoid the busy A roads). He suggested that allowing groups of cyclists through the park would set a precedent which might result in a flood of cyclists through the park causing damage to the historic environment. He wasn't able to justify this fear with any examples. I suggested that rather than a blanket ban, they could look more positively at ways to enable cycling on certain key routes through the park without causing damage, and cited the example of Stourhead (also NT, and similar to Petworth in many ways) where there's actually a National Cycle Route that goes past the front of the main house and down the drive, enabling cyclists to avoid a busy B road. I was just met by a blank repetition of what he'd already said. He was polite enough but I don't think he was really listening. My impression was he has decided cycles are Bad and doesn't want to spend any more time thinking about it. It seems a lot of this is down to the discretion of the management at each individual property.

I reminded him that their website said "Cycles are welcome in the park". His reply? "No it doesn't." So I directed him to the relevant page. "Thanks for bringing that to my attention; I'll get it removed." Sure enough, this morning it's gone. (Oops.)

I've asked for escalation to his manager.

Meanwhile, for what it's worth, he did repeat the assurance that while cyclists are officially banned in the park under a byelaw, no action will be taken against individual cyclists.

I found a way right through from town to the Upperton Gate the other day, avoiding the A272 competely, though it does involve getting off and walking up a steep path for the last little bit. Highly recommended. If you're on your own, of course. :roll:

[Edited to add missing word]
Last edited by AndyK on 17 Aug 2017, 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AndyK wrote:He suggested that allowing groups of cyclists through the park would set a precedent which might result in a flood of cyclists through the park causing damage to the historic environment. He wasn't able to justify this fear with any examples.

Of course not. There are Grade 2 Listed parks with National Cycle Routes through them. It's all about direction and management (making sure they ride past the NT cafe :lol: )

Trying to ban cycling may actually result in more damage because there will always be some who ignore or are unaware. This feels like a similar argument to that we have had for a long time with town centre managers who don't want people cycling but are fine with courier vans hammering through :roll:

AndyK wrote:I reminded him that their website said "Cycles are welcome in the park". His reply? "No it doesn't." So I directed him to the relevant page. "Thanks for bringing that to my attention; I'll get it removed." Sure enough, this morning it's gone. (Oops.)

I've asked for escalation to his manager.

Thank you. It might be worth finding out who added the welcome to their website, if possible.

AndyK wrote:Meanwhile, for what it's worth, he did repeat the assurance that while cyclists are officially banned in the park under a byelaw, no action will be taken against individual cyclists.

In writing, I hope! :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

mjr wrote:It's all about direction and management (making sure they ride past the NT cafe :lol: )

In Petworth's case that would mean cycling down a passageway inside the house, so I can see how they wouldn't be so keen on that...

mjr wrote:
AndyK wrote:Meanwhile, for what it's worth, he did repeat the assurance that while cyclists are officially banned in the park under a byelaw, no action will be taken against individual cyclists.

In writing, I hope! :twisted:

Nope. Not likely to be either.