Malham-Mytholmroyd-Malham - route advice sought

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ray

Malham-Mytholmroyd-Malham - route advice sought

Post by Ray »

Could I ask for the benefit of local knowledge for a route I'm recce-ing for a group of continental cyclists in September? We're starting from Malham YH, lunching in Mytholmroyd, and returning the same day.

I've already ridden a lot of it, including using much of the W. Yorks Cycle Route for the southerly stretch from Gargrave to Mytholmroyd. In this link :
http://cycle.travel/map/journey/21949 (now amended to http://cycle.travel/map/journey/45503 re comments below)

I've made some amendments to try and cut out some of the climbing, going through Cononley and Glusburn rather than over the tops. To make route-finding easier, I've also taken it via Pecket Well in both directions, rather than via Cold Edge Road and Wainstalls. OK, nobody said the Dales would be flat, but whoever drew up the WYCR seems to have had a mischievous, not to say sadistic streak :wink:

If you know the area, and would be good enough to cast your eyes over this outline route, I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give.

Cheers
Last edited by Ray on 19 Jul 2017, 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
gloomyandy

Re: Malham-Mytholmroyd-Malham - route advice sought

Post by gloomyandy »

Yep that's the WYCR for you! We often have bits of it on our club rides and they always seem to be the hilly parts!

If the route has been created with cycle.travel you might want to clean it up a little (if you are going to use it in a GPS as a route guide). I noticed that it is doing the "get off the main road as much as possible bit" on the section near Broughton, where it takes you on to the A59, then turns right on to it then along a small road for a short distance before turning (via another right) turn back on to the A59 before turning back off it again! Probably best just to stick to the A59 for that section!
hufty

Post by hufty »

Out of Oxenhope towards Hebden Bridge: Only the very first bit of Hill House Edge Lane/Cold Edge Road is testingly steep, so for variety you might do that rather than down and back up the main road. Instead of following the WYCR and turning right at the Crossroads Pub we usually take the next right (Stocks Lane). This way there's no more nasty uphills - you plunge down into Luddenden Village. Follow your nose and you end up spat out on the main road at Luddendenfoot. If there's a lot of you you'd probably hammer along the main road to Mytholmroyd, but alternatively go left then immediate right, past the Brandy WIne pub, through the vintage bus yard, and then take what is now known as Sustrans Route 66 and get to 'Royd that way.

By the way where are you stopping to eat? If it's a Saturday we go to Cafe ont' Front in Hebden (aka Ken's Cabin Cafe) or tough out the tourist madness if it's a Sunday. Didn't know there were viable options in Royd.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thank you both very much for your comments so far. Here is a revised version:
http://cycle.travel/map/journey/45503
which takes hufty's suggested route up Hill House Edge Lane. I have ridden that recently, but I like your version going straight on at the Crossroads pub - saves a lot of tricky navigation and switchbacks!

Any thoughts about the Broughton-Carleton-Cononley-Glusburn-Oakworth stretch? That's the only bit I haven't ridden, but plan to go back before September to have a good look.

Many thanks
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

The section Broughton-Carleton-Cononley-Glusburn is pretty much the route my club uses to ride out (and sometimes return from) Gargrave and is on pretty nice roads. The section from Glusburn-Oakworth I've not actually ridden but seems to have a pretty steep pull up from Sutton. You may want to consider riding along the A6068 (which is pretty quiet) to Cowling and then taking Dick Lane and on to join the WYCR at Round Hill and then continue along the Southern loop to Oakworth. I've ridden that route (from Cowling to Oakworth) on a fully loaded touring bike and it was fine, but as I say I've not tried that hill out of Sutton.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks, Andy, that's very encouraging; I'll have a look at those options.

Hufty asked about places to eat in Mytholmroyd. I have used the little cafe next to the bridge (Rick's Cafe?), but as there'll be 45 or 50 of us in September, we've hired St Michael's Church Hall, and have got someone to cater for us. In case you're wondering, we won't be riding in a single peloton, but splitting into groups on the road. In any case, the Yorkshire hills would soon split us up!
Ray
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As it seems nobody else is going to ask, may I be nosey and enquire why this is Malham - Mytholmroyd - Malham if you don't want hills? :? Wouldn't you be better with something based on, say Goole?

Re the WYCR, I'm pleased to see that this is useful for some riders. It was originally thought up (an expression I've chosen carefully) by the former West Yorkshire County Council in its twilight. The actual selection of the roads included was made by various local CTC sections, who interpreted the guidelines differently. The idea was that it followed the WY county boundary but the interpretation was more liberal on some bits than others. Somewhat bizarrely, there was a view that novice cyclists should not be encouraged to use it so the original signs were discreet (a bike wheel round a white rose.) The route was only signed clockwise and the guide leaflet was impossible to follow in places. As practically nobody knew what the signs meant, some disappeared and were not replaced when the street furniture on which they were displayed was changed. And so on. Through Leeds City Council's Cycling Consultation Meetings some of us persuaded the five district authorities to install proper signs and publish a map. I'm not up-to-date with the present situation: eg I'd have thought that the conversion of the A1 to motorway status would have allowed a better route south from Wetherby than the original.

Back to the current thread, the official guide does describe the section around Hebden Bridge as "strenuous" which seems accurate to me. :wink:
Ray

Post by Ray »

I can see why you ask, TC, but it's not a matter of not wanting hills. There was also the additional aim of avoiding too complicated a route, particularly since the signage is patchy.

A bit of background. This is a mixed group of experienced, mostly French, riders who specifically asked to visit the Yorkshire they had seen on TV during 'Le Grand Départ'. Thus, we'll be spending 6 days passing through the Wolds, Moors and Dales, all of which can be strenuous to differing degrees. The day before Mytholmroyd they'll have ridden the 'Col de Buttertubs' - something they particularly requested - having previously ridden up Eskdale, with numerous steep pitches. Although most of the riders are well able to cope with long, hilly days I need to strike a balance, particularly since I've no control over the weather! With hindsight I might have stopped short of Mytholmroyd, but since we were offered a free lunch, it would have been ungrateful :D . I now see the meaning of the saying, 'There is no free lunch'! The last day will be York to Beverley, with comparatively gentle slopes, but not flat.

I, too, have followed the ups and downs (!) of the WYCR, but never ridden that stretch. Much/most of it was quiet and beautiful, and I look forward to initiating my companions, and to reassuring them that, despite any fears they may have re Brexit, they will receive a warm Yorkshire welcome.
Ray
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good luck with this - especially the weather. 8)

What you describe is exactly what Sir Gary Verity and Welcome to Yorkshire had in mind bringing the TdeF here and building on it since with the Tour de Yorkshire and in securing the Worlds - although I don't suppose they expected all the extra visitors would arrive on bikes. That's the bonus. :D

Have you considered contacting local media about this? I'd have thought it's just the sort of thing that would make an interesting item on Look North / Calendar, both in its own right and in connection with the tourism spin-offs from the TdeF.
Ray

Post by Ray »

In the early stages we consulted 'Welcome to Yorkshire', who were very supportive. We already have some local involvement - eg a send-off from the Mayor of Beverley on the morning of Sept 9, and we are looking at making further contacts. As for Look North, we might just throw down the gauntlet to the enthusiastic Harry Gration - as if he hasn't had enough of toiling over the Yorkshire hills on camera by now :lol:

We'd also welcome local riders to join us for parts of the ride. I'll try and put up an itinerary here later. TdF-style crowds not expected, but our European friends would really enjoy meeting Yorkshire cyclists.
Ray
Ray

Post by Ray »

thirdcrank wrote:Good luck with this - especially the weather. 8)

What you describe is exactly what Sir Gary Verity and Welcome to Yorkshire had in mind bringing the TdeF here and building on it since with the Tour de Yorkshire and in securing the Worlds - although I don't suppose they expected all the extra visitors would arrive on bikes. That's the bonus. :D

Have you considered contacting local media about this? I'd have thought it's just the sort of thing that would make an interesting item on Look North / Calendar, both in its own right and in connection with the tourism spin-offs from the TdeF.

OK, I've posted some extracts from our news release about this on the 'Yorkshire's Reet Grand' thread - here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=113036&p=1160110&hilit=malham+mytholmroyd+malham#p1160110
Ray