St Malo to Calpe (Alicante)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PompeyJoe

St Malo to Calpe (Alicante)

Post by PompeyJoe »

Next May we propose to cycle from our home in Hampshire to our holiday home in Calpe (about 1500km). It looks pretty straightforward once we get off the ferry at St Malo (cycle to Nantes then La Velodyssee to Bayonne) but where do we cross the Pyrenees and are the tunnels safe for cyclists?
Assuming we end up somewhere near Pamplona on the Spanish side what is the best route to Valencia? Once we get to Valencia we are almost on 'home turf' and should be able to find our own way to Calpe.
albal1

Re: St Malo to Calpe (Alicante)

Post by albal1 »

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Gibjog2013

Obviously I rode from the opposite direction, but doable over the Peyrenees. No tunnel issues. You have to go over the mountain,same for trucks with ADR goods.

From Pamplona I would head for Tereul, I,m guessing the old road is still there, since the new Autovia been built? It was a couple years ago. Could miss out Valencia via Chiva, tho' more climbing. Head for Alzira.
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

Thanks, Albal

Cycling from Pamplona to Teruel appears to be the biggest headache in planning the trip.

Presently the plan is St Malo to Nantes, then picking up La Velodyssee all the way down down the Atlantic coast until the Spanish border. We then pick up the' car free' "Via Verde del Bidasoa" which will take us half the way to Pamplona when we will have to stretch our legs to get over outliers of the Pyrenees.

From outside Teruel to the Mediterreanan coast looks encouraging since there is now the 160 km "Via Verde de Ojos Negros" which is car free for most of its length (and more importantly 'down hill all the way')!

So, it is just the small matter of the high plains of Spain to navigate between Pamplona and Teruel!
robing

Post by robing »

I cycled from Bayonne to valencia last month. I went via Logroño but pamplona would be more direct. After Logroño I went via Soria then teruel to valencia. The only problem I had was between Soria and Medinaceli where the N road disintegrated in to a bumpy track for 10k or so as often happens in Spain.

I cycled the N road between teruel and valencia, it's clear on the map as far as Barraques but it is cyclable all the way to Valencia. I did try the via Verde for this section but found it a little slow and bumpy in places.
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

HI Robing

Was it the CV 207 then the CV 209 you backtracked at Barraques on your way to Viver?
robing

Post by robing »

PompeyJoe wrote:HI Robing

Was it the CV 207 then the CV 209 you backtracked at Barraques on your way to Viver?

Yes that was it Joe - this is the route I took that day: https://www.strava.com/activities/1068025542

The N-234 is clearly marked from Teruel to Barraques. I bumped in to two road cyclists in Barraques who said you could just go straight on all the way to Valencia (via Sagunto). But then some farmworkers who were drinking beer in the field advised me to use the Via Verde (as well as offering me a swig which I politely declined!). I went to check out the Via Verde - but as you say the CV 207 and 209 looked a lot clearer on the map, although it involved a slight backtrack. You'll see my indecision on my route that day! But the 207/209 was a great little diversion. Lovely, small quiet road that wound downhill to Viver and passed under the motorway, which was overhead on a viaduct. I stayed at the campsite in Viver (very out of the way!) then picked up the N-234 all the way to Sagunto the following day with no problems. (I did find the Via Verde - Ojos Negros a bit further down and two MTBers said it was fine - but I would recommend the road unless you don't mind a slower and rougher route).
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

Thanks Robing. I will revise my plans and follow you down the 207 & 209.
robing

Post by robing »

Have a great trip. Teruel is a nice city for a rest stop.
Surly LHT

Post by Surly LHT »

Hi

Did you do your trip to Calpe? Would love more information as I am trying to plan basically the same route.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Surly LHT wrote:Hi

Did you do your trip to Calpe? Would love more information as I am trying to plan basically the same route.

Is it not planned for this May......
Surly LHT

Post by Surly LHT »

Got you! Sorry! Should have looked at the dates! Look forward to reading about it.