Low rider panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ehelifecycle

Low rider panniers

Post by ehelifecycle »

Can anyone recommend a cheap front pannier please. I'm not worried about it being waterproof as I have a dry bag, also I'm potentially only using it for a single trip.

Thanks all
PDQ Mobile

Re: Low rider panniers

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I can't recommend a specific bag but one thing to make sure of is that any fixing you use is very secure. There should be no danger of the bag jumping off the rail for example.
A bag into the front spokes at speed is very dangerous.

All my stuff is ancient and dated.
I use Karrimor Kalaharis (I think that's what they were called) but the crucial thing is that the hooks lock and one part of them actually goes into a small hole on the plate below the top rail. . And they cannot slide either. (Blackburn low-riders)
They cannot be removed without pressing the locking tab.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

ehelifecycle wrote:Can anyone recommend a cheap front pannier please. I'm not worried about it being waterproof as I have a dry bag, also I'm potentially only using it for a single trip.

Thanks all

If you are already using a dry-bag, I'd expect the pannier to stay on the lowrider rack. So any low-profile bag that can be securely strapped will do.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
whoof

Post by whoof »

ehelifecycle wrote:Can anyone recommend a cheap front pannier please. I'm not worried about it being waterproof as I have a dry bag, also I'm potentially only using it for a single trip.

Thanks all

I've got some Carradice front panniers, I think they are Overlanders. They attached the same as these below, two hooks over the top and then a strap that goes to the bottom of the rack secured with a cam.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=116301
£25 posted?
If you're interested I can take some photo's
ehelifecycle

Post by ehelifecycle »

whoof wrote:

Thanks all

I've got some Carradice front panniers, I think they are Overlanders. They attached the same as these below, two hooks over the top and then a strap that goes to the bottom of the rack secured with a cam.
£25 posted?

PM sent
whoof

Post by whoof »

ehelifecycle wrote:
whoof wrote:

Thanks all

£25 posted?

PM sent

I couldn't find how to attach picture to a PM. The pics below show the front, rear and a 4 pint milk container to give an idea of the size. There is a draw-string closure and then a flap with two snap buckles. There is also a front pocket. I found a spare rear securing strap and two spare hooks which hold the pannier at the top, although I think these hooks are old ones I must have replaced at some time at the very ends have snapped off. I think I used to carry one as when touring just in case.

Slide1.JPG
Attachments
Slide3.JPG
Slide2.JPG
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

The pictures are of the Carradura bags. Light in weight , well made and have lasted me years. They are not waterproof but mine have never leaked.

The asking price is fair,

John