Passchendaele

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
groberts

Passchendaele

Post by groberts »

Given today's events commemorating 100-years of Passchendaele, just thought I'd post my blog from a ride I made there a few years ago. It was naturally a moving experience but also very interesting and my way of remembering those who fought there. As always being on a bike connects you with the place and people, which was never more so than my ride to Ypres and the surrounding battle areas of WWI, which I found a fitting and rewarding way of understanding the events that took place there in 1914-1918.

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... june-2012/
robgul

Re: Passchendaele

Post by robgul »

Yep - we've had our club's annual foreign tour to Ypres a couple of time (2012 & 2016) - cycled the marked Peace Route.

Just been watching the BBC coverage from Tyne Cot - very moving (BUT what did Prince Charles think he was doing with the dreadful, ill-fitting, beige, double-breasted suit? - all the other male dignitaries looked smart in dark suits)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Thanks for the link to your blog.

It was good to read your accounts (read much more than the WW1 battlefields), thoughtful, good humoured and informative. Two of my sons went on battlefield trips with their school and both found the experience intensely moving. We've talked for ages about doing a similar trip and this is a timely reminder to do something about it.

There's a lot of good stuff being written at the moment by people who cycle, something of an antidote for some of the crass things happening at the moment and which allows the mind to wander and wonder where to go next.

Thanks again.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks for the comments, as the saying goes "just do it", it's the least we can do!

Both the Flanders battlefields and the D-Day beaches (best on or about 6th June) are very rewarding rides but, in my opinion, do some research before going so as to better appreciate what you are seeing and ensure you get to those locations that interest you. The ride then bring the stories to life, insofar as possible.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My grandfather, Samuel, fought at Passchendale.
His brother John died there.
I am named for my great uncle, David, Aged 19, who died in the first day of the Somme.
David, Samuel, John ..... The Whiteside's, from Ulster.

When you state your support for the Independence of Ireland ..... remember the men of Ulster .. and of the South who fought for all of us ...
They where denied pensions, treated as second class citizens, because they fought for us all ...

No surprise that i willingly spent 23 years in defence of the realm ...
It's what we Ulstermen do .......

And the Scots, English, and the Welsh .... and many others...
That i served with..
We do the right thing .......
Join us ........
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.