Dogs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ferndenpat

Dogs

Post by ferndenpat »

In the August/September 2017 issue of Cycle Nick Hill asked (on Page 32) for suggestions as to how to beat off attacking dogs!

We cycled the Danube Cycle Path (EV6) from Budapest to the Black Sea and also had trouble with dogs until we were advised by two Swiss cyclists. They recommended ringing your bell and it certainly worked – maybe Romanian dogs had never heard a loud bicycle bell! We also met a Frenchman who carried a heavy stick. Final proof was cycling through a park to Constanta railway station at 5 am when we were set on by a pack of dogs. Ringing our bells drove them off until we reached the safety of the station building.

Give it a try,
Charles Hallifax
Heltor Chasca

Re: Dogs

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Well I never! Thank you for sharing.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe bear or wolf eu de cologne :lol:
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

That is interesting! Do you have an especially loud bell or will a regular 'ding' bell do just fine?
borisface

Post by borisface »

I live in Portugal and get bothered with dogs on virtually every ride. Although they tend to be of the curious variety rather than vicious I find a squirt of water from my bidon aimed at the dogs face to be highly effective.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

borisface wrote:I live in Portugal and get bothered with dogs on virtually every ride. Although they tend to be of the curious variety rather than vicious I find a squirt of water from my bidon aimed at the dogs face to be highly effective.

maybe follow the London moped thieves idea and squirt them with acid or bleach :wink: they wont trouble you again I bet. any dog that worries a motorist should be put down
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

mercalia wrote:maybe follow the London moped thieves idea and squirt them with acid or bleach :wink: they wont trouble you again I bet. any dog that worries a motorist should be put down

Hum.

I've had a ton of dog encounters but never any that tried to attack me in the UK. Either they just bark at you or stupidly wander in front of you. Most annoying is when they silently run after you out of excitement and a mile down the road you realise you have stolen someone's dog and have to cycle back and find them. :lol: To say that they should be killed because they are a nuisance is...extreme.

If they are actually violent that is a different matter.

Interesting tip about the bell. I'll have to give it a try.
ferndenpat

Post by ferndenpat »

In reply to Bohrsatom - we just had "Ding" bells but we rang "Ding Ding Ding Ding ......" as we rode quite fast.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

I wonder if that would work with geese on a canal towpath?

Any other AAAAaAAA while we're on the subject?

(that's Advice About Avoiding Angry and Aggressive Animal Attacks)