Saddle cream - can I cut the weight down?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Saddle cream - can I cut the weight down?

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:So why not say "When I did a tour like you're talking about..." rather than "this is what works for me when I do something different"? Some have given such an answer. It's like a marathon runner asking what shoes to wear and me recommending those I jog round the block in...

Because if you limit it to only 1000-mile 9-day credit-card tourers, there'll probably be no replies.

And you're not among those disclosing your mileage or speed - physician, heal thyself! :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks for all the replies. For this tour I'm going to go with the zip-lock bag approach, and probably err on the side of taking not quite enough, and then buy more if I need it.

I would prefer not to take any in future, so over the winter I'm going to stop using it and see what happens.

On the broader point of cutting the weight down, here are some other changes that I made to reduce the weight:

I've switched from 2 Ortileb City Rollers and a Ti Tubus Rack to a Carradice Saddle Bag. This has two other advangtages - it's smaller so forces me to carry less, it's more aerodynamic as it sits behind me rather than to the side.
I original had a Carradice Support Rack (330 grams), but I've removed the frame from an Altura Arran and am now using that. It's only about 100grams and actually supports the bag better - I can lock the bag to the rack using the closure buckles on the bag.
I did try swapping out to one of those massive saddle bags that Bike Packers favour, which tend to come in around 450grams, but I prefer the Carradice at about 200 grams more.
This tour is an LeJoG and according to my calendar (rather than the view out my window) it's summer, so I've removed all warm layers. I just have a thin base layer, thin cycling jersey, gillet (67 grams) and a waterproof.
I have one spare pare of socks and a spare jersey, other than that I have only one of everything including bibs and shoes. The only other clothes I have is a pair of very lightweight (montane) walking trousers for the evening.
Taking a smaller pump and a presta/Schrader converter - the small pump will get me going and i'll inflate properly at a car garage if needed
Taking out some toiletries like sun-cream
My luggage including bag and rack is now about 2.8kg

To cut down further, I could (but probably won't) carry one inner tube rather than two and not take the gillet
mjr

Post by mjr »

mnichols wrote:Taking a smaller pump and a presta/Schrader converter - the small pump will get me going and i'll inflate properly at a car garage if needed

Garage pumps are rather hit and miss, but my travel kit is now a dinky 8 inch telescopic pump with gauge (£8 from bankrupt bike parts) and a converter hose (£2 from several cheap shops).

mnichols wrote:Taking out some toiletries like sun-cream

I wouldn't risk that, but I burn pretty much as soon as I look at the sun.

mnichols wrote:My luggage including bag and rack is now about 2.8kg

To cut down further, I could (but probably won't) carry one inner tube rather than two and not take the gillet

One tube and sticker patches is probably the minimum I'd feel comfortable with. I carry rubber patches before I carry a second tube, which are lighter. I'd probably carry a second tube for that distance, though.

Well done on getting the weight down to that. My happy minimum is at least another kilogram!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A newspaper eg salvaged from a bin, shoved up your jumper will protect your chest from a cold wind and can be re-binned when no longer needed.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

thirdcrank wrote:A newspaper eg salvaged from a bin, shoved up your jumper will protect your chest from a cold wind and can be re-binned when no longer needed.

I did that in an emergency when I got caught out on a long ride and was surprised how well it worked. Better than any gillet I've ever had - thanks for reminding me
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I picked up the newspaper tip in my teens, avidly reading about what pro riders did in Coureur. You still see a few spectators offering newspapers to riders at the top of a big climb preparing for a descent, but gilets seem to be the norm. Older footage sometimes shows loads of newspapers being offered.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mjr wrote:...
Gattonero wrote:In the same way that milions of cyclist have ridden hundred of thousands of miles with padded cycling shorts and not suffering any problem.

Or at least not problems they're willing to admit, as it's quite intimate and there's quite some risk of rebuke from the nappy-lovers, even on forums fairly sceptical about Full Kit Wearers.

It's not like that.
We're all different, some things work for one and don't work for another bloke. For example, I know a guy who doesn't get rash/irritation when cycling either in shorts or lycra, but does get skin irritation... when runs long distances! Go figure.

According to you, it sounds like milions of road cyclists then are brainwashed and will suffer skin irritation just to "not admit"? I don't think I've ever seen people with big rashes when changing their kit.
Rebuke? Nappy Lovers? Sarcasm doesn't help, the days of haste* are gone. See the bright side of different things and cycle happy :)

*having started with Mtb, we've seen that, the sort of wars and hate between Mtb and road cyclists. Funny enough, most people then realized there's no need for that, and me altogether with many other guys, were already riding everything we could find good to use: Bmx, Audax bikes, Mtb's, road bikes. Lycra or baggy shorts alike, who cares if is nappy or not, whatever makes you comfortable :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
ossie

Post by ossie »

Nappy lovers ? I though it was just lids that received the wrath of said poster.

That aside on one tour, with lengthy daily mileages over many weeks I resorted to wearing both pairs of cycling shorts at the same time...the shame of it. :shock:

Weight loss and cheek bones...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mnichols wrote:On the broader point of cutting the weight down, here are some other changes that I made to reduce the weight:

I've switched from 2 Ortileb City Rollers and a Ti Tubus Rack to a Carradice Saddle Bag. This has two other advangtages - it's smaller so forces me to carry less,

That is a good start, as long as you can keep it sensible.
Using a small bag it really forces you to carry only "what I cannot do without" 8)

mnichols wrote:I original had a Carradice Support Rack (330 grams), but I've removed the frame from an Altura Arran and am now using that. It's only about 100grams and actually supports the bag better - I can lock the bag to the rack using the closure buckles on the bag.
I did try swapping out to one of those massive saddle bags that Bike Packers favour, which tend to come in around 450grams, but I prefer the Carradice at about 200 grams more.

No, a "bikepacking" (sorry for the purists, I think it's easier to call them like that) is much lighter for the same capacity.
I.e. an Apidura saddle pack is 17lt max capacity and weights 405gr., the Carradice Nelson Longflap is 25lt max and comes at 1050gr (wihtout the support frame): the Carradice is great and I always use it on my commuting as it's very convenient and practical, but the Apidura weights less than half!
The Apidura saddlepack also has the advantage of a rolltop closure so can be rolled down to a 10lt size.

mnichols wrote:This tour is an LeJoG and according to my calendar (rather than the view out my window) it's summer, so I've removed all warm layers. I just have a thin base layer, thin cycling jersey, gillet (67 grams) and a waterproof.
I have one spare pare of socks and a spare jersey, other than that I have only one of everything including bibs and shoes. The only other clothes I have is a pair of very lightweight (montane) walking trousers for the evening.

A good Merino baselayer is about 150-180gr, I'd carry one of them and a rain/windbreaker.

mnichols wrote:To cut down further, I could (but probably won't) carry one inner tube rather than two and not take the gillet

Carry a light inner tube, don't stay without.
And a gilet weights less than 100gr. Surely, cycling with some discomfort is going to slow you down more than 100gr.

i.e., my attempt to cut down to a working setup lead to 3kg, I've used a 150gr Alpkit 12lt saddle bag to carry it
https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-tapered
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2888/3434 ... 2dd5_o.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4161/3418 ... 03f1_o.jpg
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

ossie wrote:Nappy lovers ? I though it was just lids that received the wrath of said poster.

That aside on one tour, with lengthy daily mileages over many weeks I resorted to wearing both pairs of cycling shorts at the same time...the shame of it. :shock:

Weight loss and cheek bones...

Indeed.
This guy is asking about a way to carry some saddle cream, not asking everyone to use it, nor is saying why saddle cream is the latest marketing swindle in the eyes of some.
Can you cycle 100 miles on a plank of wood using jeans and normal underwear? Good for you, but it doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Gattonero wrote:No, a "bikepacking" (sorry for the purists, I think it's easier to call them like that) is much lighter for the same capacity.
I.e. an Apidura saddle pack is 17lt max capacity and weights 405gr., the Carradice Nelson Longflap is 25lt max and comes at 1050gr (wihtout the support frame): the Carradice is great and I always use it on my commuting as it's very convenient and practical, but the Apidura weights less than half!
The Apidura saddlepack also has the advantage of a rolltop closure so can be rolled down to a 10lt

Mine isn't a stock bag. I had it custom made. It's based on one of the smaller bags, has no pockets and a long flap. I estimate it holds about 15 to 18 litres and according to the kitchen scales it weighs 650 grams including all the three straps
mjr

Post by mjr »

Gattonero wrote:
mjr wrote:Or at least not problems they're willing to admit, as it's quite intimate and there's quite some risk of rebuke from the nappy-lovers, even on forums fairly sceptical about Full Kit Wearers.

According to you, it sounds like milions of road cyclists then are brainwashed and will suffer skin irritation just to "not admit"? I don't think I've ever seen people with big rashes when changing their kit.

Not brainwashed, just following the advice given out freely on most cycling forums that padded shorts/longs are a must-have for riding much distance.

By "not admit", I don't mean completely unwilling to admit, but more that they're unwilling to admit the scale of the problem. Once they've been fobbed off with the usual advice to slather sweat-trapping creams on the area and been told it's because they didn't buy expensive enough shorts, I suspect many give up mentioning it for fear of being labelled whingers.

As for you not seeing it - well, I think only a tiny minority of riders change in public these days and a rash doesn't have to be big to be painful.

Gattonero wrote:Rebuke? Nappy Lovers? Sarcasm doesn't help, the days of haste* are gone. See the bright side of different things and cycle happy :)

That ain't sarcasm - silliness, maybe - but exaggerating my point into words like "brainwashed" doesn't help either.

I'm quite happy thanks. I just don't like to see people hurting others with dubious advice to wear odd clothes instead of doing the obvious thing of getting a saddle that actually fits!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Most long distance tourers I've met have more often than not been wearing padded cycling shorts, even people older than me on Brooks that look older than me. (This is the touring forum correct)....I mean cross Europe / Eurovelo types who can walk into a supermarket or cafe and not really give a toss what they look or smell like and just wear stuff that is comfortable.

I had no idea this was a big no no and they'd all been wrongly advised and that out there is a saddle that fits everyone all of the time. I guess people knocking uber mileages will get battle hardened and will need nothing, I guess I need to try harder despite owning 7 saddles and 5 bikes.

My personal situation is that my Brooks does me fine pottering around town and on the odd day ride when I choose to take my touring bike. It did me fine commuting with no protection if you like . However when I sit on it 8-10 hours a day, every day for several weeks, in the summer, when camping (or wild camping) when it all gets a little fractious down below, I find it irritates on occasion- damn it. I could be sat on the most comfortable saddle in the world but I'm pretty sure I would get the odd issue that might involve a bit of padding to assist things.

On these tours I lose weight so those bone cheeks on my arris become more defined - so I get pressure points that didn't exist for the previous 11 months on the road bike and as weight loss is an accepted part of touring I can't be the only one.

That aside, it's nice to know there is a saddle that' allegedly fits' somewhere - If I'm being scammed by these ghastly scammers to wear odd clothes with their 'nappies' then I'd like to thank them. :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mjr wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
mjr wrote:Or at least not problems they're willing to admit, as it's quite intimate and there's quite some risk of rebuke from the nappy-lovers, even on forums fairly sceptical about Full Kit Wearers.

Not brainwashed, just following the advice given out freely on most cycling forums that padded shorts/longs are a must-have for riding much distance.

By "not admit", I don't mean completely unwilling to admit, but more that they're unwilling to admit the scale of the problem. Once they've been fobbed off with the usual advice to slather sweat-trapping creams on the area and been told it's because they didn't buy expensive enough shorts, I suspect many give up mentioning it for fear of being labelled whingers.

As for you not seeing it - well, I think only a tiny minority of riders change in public these days and a rash doesn't have to be big to be painful.

Gattonero wrote:Rebuke? Nappy Lovers? Sarcasm doesn't help, the days of haste* are gone. See the bright side of different things and cycle happy :)

That ain't sarcasm - silliness, maybe - but exaggerating my point into words like "brainwashed" doesn't help either.

I'm quite happy thanks. I just don't like to see people hurting others with dubious advice to wear odd clothes instead of doing the obvious thing of getting a saddle that actually fits!

I think it's all about how advice is perceived.
Some people does read a magazine and would think that the latest hype about a "new" product means that you are forced to have it, and obviously there will be a bicycle shop holding you at gunpoint to buy it.
Nothing like that for the one that can read between the lines: separate the foolish, angry and narrow-minded advice from any side that comes, be prepared to filter opinions, make your decision on what works for you.