Ridgeback Voyage VS Fuji Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RunsLikeT1000

Ridgeback Voyage VS Fuji Touring

Post by RunsLikeT1000 »

I am going to be undertaking my first bit of cycle touring next year in France. I have narrowed down my bicycle choice to one of these two. Does anyone have any experience of both? Struggling to pick which one to purchase.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-tourin ... e-EV280154

https://www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-v ... gKj7vD_BwE

Both are 2017 models.

Thanks

Alex

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Spinners

Re: Ridgeback Voyage VS Fuji Touring

Post by Spinners »

I had a Fuji Touring a few years ago (spec's were the same then as they are now) and, whilst I never toured on it, I really liked it and wish I'd kept it longer. Coming from an Ergo/STI background I had no trouble with the bar end levers, the brakes were fine and I generally felt it was on the sportier side of touring bikes with shorter chainstays, modest tyre clearance and perhaps not quite as much 'luggability'. When I bought mine, Evans were doing a deal with £50 of accessories free so I used that for the essential mudguards and a few tools.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Of those two, the Fuji, with its Deore hubs would likely shade it for me, but the one that's most comfortable will serve you best.
RunsLikeT1000

Post by RunsLikeT1000 »

Spinners wrote:I had a Fuji Touring a few years ago (spec's were the same then as they are now) and, whilst I never toured on it, I really liked it and wish I'd kept it longer. Coming from an Ergo/STI background I had no trouble with the bar end levers, the brakes were fine and I generally felt it was on the sportier side of touring bikes with shorter chainstays, modest tyre clearance and perhaps not quite as much 'luggability'. When I bought mine, Evans were doing a deal with £50 of accessories free so I used that for the essential mudguards and a few tools.

Yea I am swaying more towards the Fuji. Had a quick ride of the ridgeback last weekend and it felt good. Testing the Fuji at the end of the week so I will know then!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
videoman

Post by videoman »

Both look good bikes for the money and as previously mentioned the Fuji has better hubs and is slightly lighter although I don't think this will make much difference in the real world. Ridgeback have a very good reputation in building touring bikes and have been around for a long time. The most important thing is to get a test ride and see how the bike fits and which feels the most comfortable.

I recently did a 500 miles in France on a Specialized Tricross and it was fine and will be using it for any touring in the foreseeable future.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I saw the Ridgeback Voyage in Evans (Cardiff) today. I must say that it's a smart looking machine so I understand the difficulty of your decision.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
radek

Post by radek »

Totally agree with the comments above - get a test ride and check how it feels. Specs are important, but in my opinion comfort of ride is most important.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Alex,
I have a Ridgeback Voyage and so far very pleased. It is a nice looking bike which I think is important. I have yet to tour on it but have used mine quite a bit in recent months for days out. I cannot remember the brakes on the Fuji when I have looked at it's spec. The Ridgeback has cantilever and there are plenty of opinions about them. I have changed the Shimano blocks on mine to the Swistop blocks to find a vast improvement. Also I bought from SJS cycles different cantilevers for the back. A pair of Tektro CR720. These are meant to be a better design. So far so good.
However I am not convinced that cantilever brakes are the best option if there is another option.
Good luck
Anthony
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Evans in Cardiff now have both on display so I had another look. The green paint on the Fuji is actually quite smart being a drab military green but having quite a deep gloss. The Ridgeback Voyage on display also had new Sora STI's so the website photo is incorrect in that respect.

It's still a tough call!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I'm not sure if you've pressed the GO button yet but this might be of interest;

https://www.cyclingabout.com/2018-fuji-touring-bike/
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Have a look https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/new-used-cycles-frames/?order=price+ascending - with a big manufacturer you'll always have some way of cutting the price by cuting the quality - you're not certain what the hubs will be, the quality of the chain, etc. I've been very pleased with my purchases from Thorn.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

https://www.cyclingabout.com/2018-fuji-touring-disc/

A new one on me. Not sure if it's coming to the UK though.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)