Bike in the night

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ConRAD

Re: Bike in the night

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:... or do you have friends in high places?

No Sweep.
Anti-terrorism surveillance is indeed extremely present with Police/Carabinieri/Guardie di Finanza and private patrols and cameras everywhere.
Yes, during that night I was indeed stopped three times; in front of the Guggenheim Museum I was asked for documents and they wanted to see what I had in my bags ... but eventually they might have understood that they were in front of a "not very normal" person and so they let me to go away.
I had more problems with a private patrol that at the beginning didn't want me to continue on my cycle-walk.
But the worst was at the end (05:30AM) in the backyards parking of the industrial area of Porto Marghera where I had parked the car and found that the whole area was plenty of prostitutes... and maybe something else too!!
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Cycling in the Night”, a wonderful way to know cities and live them, maybe for just a few hours, in their noblest and never too much hidden genuine intimacy.

[youtube]_fZIALAQR14[/youtube]
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

ISEO LAKE NIGHT (Italy)
Once parked the car in the cemetery parking, just a while after midnight we reached out the beautiful Sarnico lakeside. The road on the Bergamo side shore, already deserted at that hour of the night, alternates very suggestive country stretches with urban routes on well-groomed and always quite panoramic cycle paths. A few kms past Lovere we finally passed onto the Brescia side of the lake where the Oglio Cycle Path, except for a few interruptions, runs underneath magnificent rocky mountains and right above the lake shore. Before dawn, at the end of our journey around the lake, we took a 10 min ferry till Monte Isola, a very pretty and minute isle just at the heart of the lake.

[youtube]sRod1tfTEEs[/youtube]
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that Conrad - looks great - will watch more later.

As my mind is boggling at the mo in the reply to me above which I've just seen "and maybe something else too!!".

Just what can that be?

Cycling around is for sure a way of seeing unexpected things - thinks of a place on Cagliari outskirts which one of our pals on here maybe also knows about.

all the best.

(Yes I am a fan of night riding as well - through town and country - sometimes long distance.
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Looking back at the previous video again I realized that perhaps it might be too long for the “general viewer” so I finally decided to re-edit it limiting the footage to the part relevant to Milano only.
Contextually I also revised some introduction frames explicitly mentioning the author of the sound track used.
Unfortunately remains the problem of some possible “copyright” violation since youtube often reminds me to ask, prior to publishing, the explicit permission by the author.
Is there anybody that knows how to do it?

[youtube]BKXNvXf3NYU[/youtube]
nsew

Post by nsew »

I enjoy a night ride on tour once in a while. Rode up to the Stelvio Pass from Bormio arriving at 1am. 1500m ascent if I remember right. July, full moon, no freakin motorbikes, cars or people. Stunning backdrop of peaks and night sky. Though 0 degrees and blowing hard at the top. In Sweden found it hard to stop before 3am. Moose trouble. Rode up to the Col de Vars (2100m) the other night as blazing sun and motorbikes during the day. Made camp behind the chapel and was woken by the bikes at 10am. Love a night ride but complicates rest for the following day or two.
Attachments
DA71AA4D-F695-4076-978C-0DD97AD9657C.jpeg
330EDE9F-EBF4-4B66-B8C8-2F5EAC76DC23.jpeg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ConRAD wrote:
MartinBrice wrote:... there's a night ride out of london almost every month run by my club, the Friday Night Ride to the Coast ...

"the Friday Night Ride to the Coast"... simply excellent, sounds pretty good, thank you !!! One day, who knows, I might apply !!!

Have ridden the Dunwich Dynamo a few times. Have come across folk who have come from abroad to do it.

Google it if you don't know it conrad.
Sweep