Bike in the night

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ConRAD

Bike in the night

Post by ConRAD »

Bike in the night ... cycling in the magic atmosphere of the night

ROVERETO-TRENTO-BOLZANO – JUL2017: HERE some pictures

VALSUGANA NIGHT - AUG2017 : HERE some pictures.

Heltor Chasca

Re: Bike in the night

Post by Heltor Chasca »

It is magical yes. Got to jump on the bandwagon and share mine. Exmouth Exodus 2017 (100 mile night ride from Bath to Exmouth)

ImageImageImage
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

there's a night ride out of london almost every month run by my club, the Friday Night Ride to the Coast.
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogsp ... lcome.html
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

MartinBrice wrote:... there's a night ride out of london almost every month run by my club, the Friday Night Ride to the Coast ...

"the Friday Night Ride to the Coast"... simply excellent, sounds pretty good, thank you !!! One day, who knows, I might apply !!!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MartinBrice wrote:there's a night ride out of london almost every month run by my club, the Friday Night Ride to the Coast.
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogsp ... lcome.html

Not a new idea - my parents were riding down to Bournemouth, Portsmouth etc regularly - back before I was born in the 50's! Not unknown for a round trip to Brighton with chips at the coast before heading for home.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

ConRAD wrote:I might apply !!!
It's two quid a year for about nine rides and a week-long tour. Just read The Basics on the website and sign up.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I remember Barry Hoban giving a talk. He used to ride for Calder Clarion before he turned pro and they used to ride overnight from Wakefield to Liverpool to catch the ferry for Isle of Man week, in the late 1950s.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Milano (Italy), 15Aug2017: a very special Ferragosto BikeNight

ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

... just in time !!!

crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I used to ride at night all the time, clear roads, stars, lighter winds usually, cooler so less fluids needed, I carried this on to motorbikes. Plug a radio into my ears just have a rear light on and it was a good way to do the miles. enjoy the dawn then stop for a nap.

I used to pannier up and look after scout and D of E expeditions, go off on the friday night, bivvy up and wait for the kids to pass by, people seemed less bothered about you stopping for a nap during the day than at night, although I'd often get asked if I was okay. Nice that people were worried that I was injured.

as I'm getting back into it I still ride at night just to avoid the traffic in birmingham.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

... I have never been so much fond of Milan, this is true ... but, if one day and after 35 years I'd be tempted to leave, I'd still like to keep a good memory of this town. Here below some of the most beautiful moments ... naturally in the night and by bike through some of its downtown streets!

ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

... it's almost time to think to go back to Venice again !! .... BIKE IN THE NIGHT

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Apologies if I have asked this before Conrad, but I thought you weren't allowed to cycle in Venice at all? Seem to remember that someone I used to be in touch with who lived there told me this.
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Yes, you're right, cycling in Venice is stricktly forbidden by a specific municipal law ... but, if you do it in the deepest of the night (e.g. 02:00AM-05:00AM) you can do it ... of course possibly alone, in a discrete, silent and respectful way.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ConRAD wrote:Yes, you're right, cycling in Venice is stricktly forbidden by a specific municipal law ... but, if you do it in the deepest of the night (e.g. 02:00AM-05:00AM) you can do it ... of course possibly alone, in a discrete, silent and respectful way.

Thanks for the reply conrad.
There are of course a multiplicity of police forces in Italy.
You must surely encounter some of them?
Are you saying that they let you be?
In truth it would worry me as from what I know application of the law in Italy can be flexible, but on paper some of the penalties can be fearsome.
Or do you have friends in high places?
Sweep