Carradice Classic Support

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Carradice Classic Support

Post by mnichols »

Finalising my setup for a tour starting Saturday and can't decide whether I need the Carradice classic Support to support my Carradice bag

I have enough clearance above the tyre without it, I don't get any sway, but it does lift the bag more behind my back and bum rather than legs so possibly more aero, but adds 330 grams to the overall luggage weight of 3.7kg (bag, rack and luggage)

The Carradice bag is custom made, it's like a nelson Longflap but without the pockets

If I have the tyre clearance is it worth its weight?

My friend has a more modern bike packing setup and is at 2.2kg!
Paulatic

Re: Carradice Classic Support

Post by Paulatic »

A dilemma I often have.
My recent answer is a length of foam pipe lagging, very light, placed between the front of the bag and the seat post. Secured with a toe strap internally from the bag strapping point and strengthened by wrapping it in duct tape.
Holds the bag away from back if legs.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mnichols wrote:Finalising my setup for a tour starting Saturday and can't decide whether I need the Carradice classic Support to support my Carradice bag

I have enough clearance above the tyre without it, I don't get any sway, but it does lift the bag more behind my back and bum rather than legs so possibly more aero, but adds 330 grams to the overall luggage weight of 3.7kg (bag, rack and luggage)

The Carradice bag is custom made, it's like a nelson Longflap but without the pockets

If I have the tyre clearance is it worth its weight?

My friend has a more modern bike packing setup and is at 2.2kg!

3.7kg is still pretty good for CC touring (exceptional if is full-camping).
For convenience, I would use the support with the QR system, it's very nice to have the bag removable in a second when you need to (i.e. popping in a shop or somewhere)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Paulatic wrote:A dilemma I often have.
My recent answer is a length of foam pipe lagging, very light, placed between the front of the bag and the seat post. Secured with a toe strap internally from the bag strapping point and strengthened by wrapping it in duct tape.

Do you then have another, longer strap that goes around the seat post? Is your foam pipe parallel or at right angles to the seat post? I've hear of using such lagging but never worked out the best way of using it - a picture would be a great help if you have a moment.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I use that system with a Carradice Barley bag. Should work with a larger size.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've taken the frame/support from an Altura Arran that I already have and am using that. It comes off without breaking the bag and weighs 100grams including the clips

It supports the bag from underneath and I can fix the bag to the rack using the closure buckles.

It was excellent on a 20 mile test run

Instead of click release I've put all my stuff in a polythene bag and I simply lift that out and leave the bag attached
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AFAIK, the Carradice Classic is their version of the old Karrimor Uplift, which used to come in two versions, one L-shaped with a supporting platform and the other a flat rectangle. (If you search on "uplift" this has been discussed before with illustrations.)

The main advantages of this type of support are that the bag is lifted a couple of inches higher, giving more mudguard clearance, and it's only necessary to undo a single strap (a toe-strap being ideal) to lift the whole caboodle off the bike when the rack can be used as a carrying handle.

The big disadvantage is that you must have either (preferably) a saddle with traditional built-in bagloops or some heath robinson alternative. The latter will add to the weight. Leather saddles are also generally heavier than other, more modern types.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

LollyKat wrote:
Paulatic wrote:A dilemma I often have.

Do you then have another, longer strap that goes around the seat post? Is your foam pipe parallel or at right angles to the seat post? I've hear of using such lagging but never worked out the best way of using it - a picture would be a great help if you have a moment.

Just like BigJim
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

A picture's worth a thousand words - many thanks, both of you. :D
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

As said by others, an annoying problem.

I use a Topeak underseat bag to keep my Carradice bag stable and away from my legs. Weighs 140 g and I keep my tools, tubes, first aid kit in + mini pump. Here's a photo from Hope Cove last week:

P1000816.JPG

To get at the Topeak bag simply lift the saddle bag up, I don't bother using the strap. Provides useful extra storage and I find a foolproof solution, eg on a recent NC 500 ride.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Chat Noir wrote:As said by others, an annoying problem.

I use a Topeak underseat bag to keep my Carradice bag stable and away from my legs. Weighs 140 g and I keep my tools, tubes, first aid kit in + mini pump. Here's a photo from Hope Cove last week:

P1000816.JPG

To get at the Topeak bag simply lift the saddle bag up, I don't bother using the strap. Provides useful extra storage and I find a foolproof solution, eg on a recent NC 500 ride.

Good luck.

That's a great idea
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm only using the rack as a form of support, I have enough tyre clearance, I don't get any sway and it doesn't hit my legs without it. I was just concerned about all the weight hanging off the saddle and seat post.

Is the consensus that this is not necessary?
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Don't know what the weight limit is for Brooks saddlebag loops. I've travelled with 4.5 kg weight without any difficulties but the saddle bag is kept stable by the Topeak bag.

Part of the problem for me without the support bar (or using something else, like the Topeak bag) is the bag swings (most noticeably going up big hills!) and when opened stuff wants to fall out. Suppose there can be some advantage using a QR support, but have never used one and don't find it too much hassle simply to undo the straps and take the whole bag off. In practice, rarely take the saddle bag off when on a lightweight tour or day ride (last week we stuffed swimming gear and towels in the bag + sandwiches for the day, just the kind of use the Barley bag was designed for).

So, don't think the weight you're planning on taking will be a problem.

Enjoy the ride.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re bagloops for the Carradice Classic / Karrymore Uplift style rack, the entire weight of the luggage is supported on the two tongues of metal which go through the bagloops. If they are built into the saddle, in the traditional style, no problem. What I've described as heath robinson substitutes may not work well.

Re the weight of luggage dangling off the back of the saddle, I think it was CJ who pointed out that a saddle/ seatpost which can take quite a hefty rider should be OK with a saddlebag, even a full one.

A saddlebag does affect the bike's centre-of-gravity. I learnt this lesson very early on my first tour when I was intending to get back on but the front of my bike reared up and dumped me at the bottom of one of those deep ditches common alongside roads in Lincolnshire. Luckily, it was summertime and it was completely dry, or I might have needed the RNLI. :oops: The secret is to keep the bike upright when getting on and off with a loaded saddlebag. I don't think this has much effect on riding, except the obvious effect of weight on hills.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've still got my original classic support. It's very good, as long as you have a strap or elastic to stop it bouncing - unlike the new version, the originals did not come with a strap.

Eventually the tabs wore out on mine. I found a local metal-work shop, where the guy made new ones. It's fine again.