Mid Wales campsites.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattsccm

Mid Wales campsites.

Post by mattsccm »

Can anyone suggest a nice quiet/primitive site in mid Wales? Wild or tap in a field type.
Say south of Oswestry and north of Builth Wells.
Optimum would be near a pub but not essential.
eileithyia

Re: Mid Wales campsites.

Post by eileithyia »

When heading somewhere new I always google 'campsites Oswestry' or similar and have found some decent sites that way, there is usually a review of some sort to advise what sort of site they are.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Already did that, ta. Everything is busy telling me how many showers there are or how flat the grass is. Not what I want really.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I lived in this area for almost 20 years and can assure you there is no shortage of campsites many are listed on ukcampsite.co.uk. However many of them are larger commercial sites that offer good facilities for the cycle camper. Some of these sites don’t charge much for cycle campers, in the last two years I have stayed of some that only charge me £5 per night and rarely do I pay more than £8.

When I cycled to Bala for events there I often stayed at Bryn Vyrnwy Holiday Park
Llansantffraid Y.M. I knew the owner so was rarely charged but others there only paid £5 a night.

Also remember you are in the Offa’s Dyke area so there smaller sites that cater for backpacking campers. A good source of information is the Backpackers Club, they produce a list of small campsites on the Offa’s Dyke Path. If you knew someone in the club they may let you have a copy or join for a small fee and get a copy.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Also CAMRA used to list pubs where there is camping facilities either at the pub or nearby.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

Used ukcampsites website and called up sites near Oswestry and this one came up first. Looks like the type of campsite you are after, just depends on if location is right. 15 mins cycle to pub.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... evid=10686
HD55

Post by HD55 »

Hi,

You may want to try Nearly Wild Camping https://nearlywildcamping.org

You will need to join, but they could very well have something on their books to suit you.

Cheers
Howard