YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH
Posts: 4716
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby PH » 8 Sep 2017, 1:50pm

mercalia wrote:Atleast he has confirmed what many here have gathered, it is the large groups ( funded by charities or local authorities ) that is their main market now - clearly thinking they can squeeze lots of dosh from them as it will be the local council or central govt that will cough up? I wonder how long its charitable status is warranted?

An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.
The YHA has over the last decade lost a lot of it's appeal to me, I miss the simplicity, the closure of many of my favourite small hostels, can't find availability where and when I want it and it's often not the most economical option. But with my head rather than heart, I know those hostels I shared with just a couple of other visitors couldn't continue and if something hadn't been done the organisation wouldn't have survived much longer.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 7513
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby horizon » 11 Sep 2017, 11:56pm

PH wrote:An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.


I think what motivates a lot of us older people to express our concerns about the YHA is in fact our recollections of how we used hostels as young teenagers. We were young then and hostels gave us our first taste of independence and freedom. They also provided a real physical challenge, gave us a glimpse of rural life and simple living (sometmes without electricity such as at Tanners Hatch and Hindhead) and introduced us to an amazing variety of buildings. We are cycle tourists now because of that opportunity then. I like to think that we instinctively know that a coachload of school children in a purpose-built hostel with full amenities will have a different experience from ours. What I owe to the YHA is priceless - no wonder I bemoan its passing.
Bikes belong on trains.

mercalia
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby mercalia » 12 Sep 2017, 12:55pm

horizon wrote:
PH wrote:An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.


I think what motivates a lot of us older people to express our concerns about the YHA is in fact our recollections of how we used hostels as young teenagers. We were young then and hostels gave us our first taste of independence and freedom. They also provided a real physical challenge, gave us a glimpse of rural life and simple living (sometmes without electricity such as at Tanners Hatch and Hindhead) and introduced us to an amazing variety of buildings. We are cycle tourists now because of that opportunity then. I like to think that we instinctively know that a coachload of school children in a purpose-built hostel with full amenities will have a different experience from ours. What I owe to the YHA is priceless - no wonder I bemoan its passing.


right and therefore shortsighted as they wont come back on their own as thats not the YHA concept they get? and where will the volunteer wardens come from then?

PH
Posts: 4716
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby PH » 12 Sep 2017, 1:33pm

horizon wrote:
PH wrote:An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.


I think what motivates a lot of us older people to express our concerns about the YHA is in fact our recollections of how we used hostels as young teenagers. We were young then and hostels gave us our first taste of independence and freedom. They also provided a real physical challenge, gave us a glimpse of rural life and simple living (sometmes without electricity such as at Tanners Hatch and Hindhead) and introduced us to an amazing variety of buildings. We are cycle tourists now because of that opportunity then. I like to think that we instinctively know that a coachload of school children in a purpose-built hostel with full amenities will have a different experience from ours. What I owe to the YHA is priceless - no wonder I bemoan its passing.

I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the YHA for it no longer being the 1950's :wink:
I know these discussions are always a bit chicken and egg, but all the indications I've noted are that lack of demand preceded the transformation of the YHA. I'll repeat my earlier point that I don't think the YHA would have survived in it's the same way as it did when you (And I) were youths.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 7513
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby horizon » 12 Sep 2017, 3:03pm

PH wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the YHA for it no longer being the 1950's :wink:
I know these discussions are always a bit chicken and egg, but all the indications I've noted are that lack of demand preceded the transformation of the YHA. I'll repeat my earlier point that I don't think the YHA would have survived in it's the same way as it did when you (And I) were youths.


I mostly agree with you. The YHA is quite a wide ranging entity - I remember for example going with a large group of coach-borne hikers from university so it wasn't all starry-eyed teenager stuff. The YHA has done well to re-position itself to survive and modernise. But I think it had such a unique and valuable role that it should never have had to compete in the open market with Travelodge (which one warden told me was their plan). A few paltry million from government (especially during Foot and Mouth) might have saved the network. Who knows, it might one day have bounced back but as with the railway branch lines, when you've sold off the track it's too late.
Bikes belong on trains.

mercalia
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby mercalia » 12 Sep 2017, 3:09pm

horizon wrote:
PH wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the YHA for it no longer being the 1950's :wink:
I know these discussions are always a bit chicken and egg, but all the indications I've noted are that lack of demand preceded the transformation of the YHA. I'll repeat my earlier point that I don't think the YHA would have survived in it's the same way as it did when you (And I) were youths.


I mostly agree with you. The YHA is quite a wide ranging entity - I remember for example going with a large group of coach-borne hikers from university so it wasn't all starry-eyed teenager stuff. The YHA has done well to re-position itself to survive and modernise. But I think it had such a unique and valuable role that it should never have had to compete in the open market with Travelodge (which one warden told me was their plan). A few paltry million from government (especially during Foot and Mouth) might have saved the network. Who knows, it might one day have bounced back but as with the railway branch lines, when you've sold off the track it's too late.



yes a little from the education budget or culture or even better the lottery? but then the people who decide these things only stay in 4* hotels they never pay for any way so not likely to happen :cry:

gloomyandy
Posts: 804
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 10:46pm

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby gloomyandy » 12 Sep 2017, 9:16pm

It's interesting that some very basic hostels like the ones run by the Gatliff Trust still survive and seem to be doing pretty well. These seem to operate on the basis of a non-resident local warden plus external funding and volunteer work parties. It is a pity that more of the YHA network could not operate on this sort of model. But I guess what works on the Hebrides may not be so good in other places.

User avatar
meic
Posts: 17928
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Postby meic » 12 Sep 2017, 9:19pm

I have just booked myself and the little one into a family room at St Davids YHA, for the grand sum of £20.49.
I dont think we will do much cycling though in this weather.

If the thread title is correct we had better take the opportunities while we can still afford them.
Yma o Hyd


Return to “Touring & Expedition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests