YHA Infomation and updates

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meic

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Post by meic »

It may not be that simple, in that it isnt a case of "good" and "bad" so much as good in some ways and bad in some ways.

As an example Bristol YHA has the most disgusting, vilest kitchen for the self catering that you will ever encounter but I cant remember any other faults in the place. So for self catering it is very bad, otherwise quite good.
Yma o Hyd
marc0polo

Post by marc0polo »

Or maybe I should of just asked for a comprehensive list of YHA inc. prices/reviews.
meic

Post by meic »

Their website is sort of the place for that but lacks an "overview" so you have to dip in with thousands of specific "questions".
I dont think an overview is possible as even within individual hostels the pricing is very fluctuating, rooms can cost £18 one night and £49 the next. I remember once talking to somebody and finding out we had paid less than half of what they paid for the same size room on the same night.
The YHA are not the only people to play these sort of games with pricing.
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:Their website is sort of the place for that but lacks an "overview" so you have to dip in with thousands of specific "questions".
I dont think an overview is possible as even within individual hostels the pricing is very fluctuating, rooms can cost £18 one night and £49 the next. I remember once talking to somebody and finding out we had paid less than half of what they paid for the same size room on the same night.
The YHA are not the only people to play these sort of games with pricing.

well that game is over - now just fleece you all the time with £25 typical :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

I just had a look at Leominster YHA. At present it is £15 for a bed or £29 for a 2 person family room (needed for me with daughter) then you can knock off our discount making it £12 and £24.50
Of course there are no beds available Fri or Sat when we would most like to stay.
Then suddenly at a date it just becomes totally unavailable to book, I dont know if the hostel is closing, they just are not taking bookings for next years season yet or if they are still thinking about next years pricing structure.
Yma o Hyd
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

What should a modern YHA offer to be cheaper than B*&B/Hotel i.e. affordable but still desirable to the modern versions of its original intended users?

Perhaps:

1) I presume most modern people/small groups will want a private room so keep the move away from dorms but to keep costs down, I presume affordable-ness would dictate most such rooms wouldn't be ensuite and avoid supplying bedding by default:
eg either
keep/reinstate the 'bring your own / hire-a-sheet-bag to use with supplied bedding' mode thus saving operation costs and meaning no insulated sleeping-bag needed to be carried by customer.
OR, perhaps for even lower operating cost,
just provide simple bare 'bed's and allow people to use their own sleeping bag/hire bedding etc: as not being carried far such 'hire bedding' could be chosen for long-life when being washed frequently? Sleeping indoors would mean a light(er) bag could be used by those carrying their own sleep insulation system.

2) Keep the modern 'No chores' (I always found it irritating having to hang about in the morning waiting for a chore to be thought up and performed. Alternatively, chores only performed in evening.

3) A communal kitchen, or perhaps bit like (reported) older days*, a washing up area and a (now outdoor but roof-sheltered) area where camping stoves like Trangias etc can be used: I presume an indoor table full of Primus paraffin stoves etc wouldn't be acceptable in modern days.

So, sort of like the most basic hotel ever, but surely that might be a reasonable modern equivalent of the YHA of the past, and allow prices to stay below B&B level while being civilised enough for the modern person?

:)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
horizon

Post by horizon »

SA_SA_SA wrote:OR, perhaps for even lower operating cost,
just provide simple bare 'bed's and allow people to use their own sleeping bag/hire bedding etc: or perhaps bit like (reported) older days*, a washing up area and a (now outdoor but roof-sheltered) area where camping stoves like Trangias etc can be used: I presume an indoor table full of Primus paraffin stoves etc wouldn't be acceptable in modern days.

So, sort of like the most basic hotel ever, but surely that might be a reasonable modern equivalent of the YHA of the past, and allow prices to stay below B&B level while being civilised enough for the modern person?

Camping barns semi-operated by the YHA are exacty all that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:I just had a look at Leominster YHA. At present it is £15 for a bed or £29 for a 2 person family room (needed for me with daughter) then you can knock off our discount making it £12 and £24.50
Of course there are no beds available Fri or Sat when we would most like to stay.
Then suddenly at a date it just becomes totally unavailable to book, I dont know if the hostel is closing, they just are not taking bookings for next years season yet or if they are still thinking about next years pricing structure.

I have also noted that about Exford in Exmoor - that hostel was bought out by the local land baron hotel owner 2 or 3 years ago I was told - I assume in a short time it will go independant fully and nolonger advertise thru the YHA :( Shame as a great place to camp.
Last edited by mercalia on 29 Aug 2017, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so for those who use YHA equivalents abroad how do the prices compare?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

horizon wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:OR, perhaps for even lower operating cost,
just provide simple bare 'bed's and allow people to use their own sleeping bag/hire bedding etc: or perhaps bit like (reported) older days*, a washing up area and a (now outdoor but roof-sheltered) area where camping stoves like Trangias etc can be used: I presume an indoor table full of Primus paraffin stoves etc wouldn't be acceptable in modern days.

Camping barns semi-operated by the YHA are exacty all that.

I thought camping barns had dorms? EDIT Which seems correct plus they only have 2 barns in England...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
robing

Post by robing »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I would never stay at a YHA as you are guaranteed not to get a wink of sleep - doors being banged slammed at all hours, out of control screeching screaming kids. drunks stumbling into the dorm late into the night and early hours turning on the light and still crashing into most of the bunks in the dorm, inconsiderate selfish people rustling plastic bags late at night and very early in the mornings, snoring pigs keeping you awake all night, dirty tired crappy bed mattresses. Even if the cost was £1 a night I would not ever stay in one again. I prefer a BnB or most likely my tent in a quiet secluded spot.

+1. Decent camping beats yha any day. There are some good hostels on Outer Hebrides. Not affiliated, £15 per night, smallish dorms and mostly cyclists and walkers. Plus you can camp.
Si

Post by Si »

Cycling UK National Office have received the below from YHA (E & W). Please bear in mind I know nothing about Youth Hostels, their pricing or the issues raised on this thread, I'm just posting it up here for them so don't ask me anything about it. Perhaps, as they are clearly reading this thread, someone from YHA would like to sign up to the forum (it's free and only takes two shakes of a lamb's) and respond to any further queries themselves?

Thanks to everyone for posting in this forum. It’s great to see that interest and passion about YHA continues as strongly as ever.

I wanted to clarify a couple of points and hopefully put your minds at rest.

First and foremost is our motivation as a charity. We believe that travel and real adventure transforms lives. We believe that everyone, especially young people, should have the same chances and that is why we work to provide affordable accommodation options to support everyone’s health, education and recreation.

We are 100% reliant on those people who support us, through staying with us, donating or volunteering with us to maintain and invest in our hostels. No profits, no shareholders and every pound entrusted with us works harder that ever to preserve our hostels and to support those that need extra help to stay with us.

The great news, and thanks to the many supporters on this forum, is that YHA has never been more popular or more vibrant. Over the last four years we have enjoyed record breaking levels of occupancy and support and as a result, over the last five years, have been able to invest £32million in refurbishing our hostels and opening new ones throughout England and Wales. This investment also includes over £250k specifically targeted at cyclists with the provision of additional super secure storage and maintenance facilities for bikes at our most popular hostels for cyclists.. Details here http://www.yha.org.uk/cycle-facilities

Obviously despite being a charity, we are not immune from the cost inflations that we are all experiencing from all angles. Over that last few years we have been increasing our prices – but only slightly above inflation and not to an extent that our occupancy has suffered, or our customer satisfaction with value for money scores fallen.

Our pricing policies – whilst far from perfect – are designed to ensure that as many people as possible get the chance to stay with YHA and that we can preserve and build on our reputation for providing safe, comfortable and affordable options for all. At the same time we are then also available to provide additional support, financial or otherwise, to those customers that need it. Our various funding mechanisms are detailed here – and do feel free to contribute directly! http://www.yha.org.uk/about-yha/breaks-for-kids

One of the most important customer types for YHA are those groups of people, young people on a school trip, youth groups, cycling or walking clubs. These groups tend to book several months in advance and are a very efficient way of us reaching as many people as possible and utilising our availability.

Once the main booking window for groups has passed, we then concentrate on filling the spaces not already sold with families or individuals who tend to book within three months (or sometimes less than 3 hours before arrival) – You will therefore see prices fluctuate as we move between selling seasons.

One final word or reassurance – the average cost per overnight last year (excluding catering options and VAT) – across all hostels and all dates was £15.25p up from £15.01p the year before.

So thanks once again for your ongoing interest in YHA. If you’ve not stayed with us for a while pop in and have a look to see what we are offering – even if its just for a day ride, its well worth popping in for coffee and cake.

Joe Lynch

Commercial Director

YHA (England and Wales)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

^ Rubbish !!
Look at the price in the pipeline from about November 2017 for some hostels then all next year? :roll: Some more than 50%. Joe Lynch must be very obtuse not to understand the meaning of the title? , the YHA clearly made a good choice in choosing their spokesman. I await with bated breathe to see if any prices return to a more reasonable level :roll:

Atleast he has confirmed what many here have gathered, it is the large groups ( funded by charities or local authorities ) that is their main market now - clearly thinking they can squeeze lots of dosh from them as it will be the local council or central govt that will cough up? I wonder how long its charitable status is warranted?

Once upon a time I think they had special options for the unwaged or unemployed? That went along time ago I think. I think they are increasingly uninterested in the elder hosteler unless they arrive in a car. All very short sighted as those in some form of care wont be able to afford their prices tailored for group visits paid for by some organisation or other, so wont come back when older.

eg Brighton from £16 to nearly £30, the pattern continues all next year
click to enlarge
Attachments
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Last edited by Graham on 31 Aug 2017, 8:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: save space - long quote removed
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe the prices reflect demand and go down over time if beds are still free, or maybe they go up or are set at random

I rather liked doing duties, one warden was a bit surprised when I offered to tidy up the cycle shed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:Atleast he has confirmed what many here have gathered, it is the large groups ( funded by charities or local authorities ) that is their main market now - clearly thinking they can squeeze lots of dosh from them as it will be the local council or central govt that will cough up? I wonder how long its charitable status is warranted?

An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.
The YHA has over the last decade lost a lot of it's appeal to me, I miss the simplicity, the closure of many of my favourite small hostels, can't find availability where and when I want it and it's often not the most economical option. But with my head rather than heart, I know those hostels I shared with just a couple of other visitors couldn't continue and if something hadn't been done the organisation wouldn't have survived much longer.