Eurovelo 1 - camping from Narva to St Petersburg

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ShaneY

Eurovelo 1 - camping from Narva to St Petersburg

Post by ShaneY »

Hi- I'm currently cycling from Berlin to Helsinki and I am a couple of days from Narva (Estonia) but have had a mishap. I've managed to lose my route map book and notes (still got GPS and local map so all is not lost). My main headache is that I had a nights camping planned for some sort of airfield en route to St Petersburg but can now find no reference to it online and I am beginning to think I dreamt it - can anyone provide details?

BTW - it's been an amazing ride and happy to provide details if anyone wants latest advice (if you are willing to listen to a plonker who loses his map-book).
Thanks.
echolalia

Re: Eurovelo 1 - camping from Narva to St Petersburg

Post by echolalia »

Leave the Eurovelo route 1 before Narva. The road from Narva to St Petersburg is loaded with trucks. Head to SE Estonia to Rapina, South of Lake Pepsi then Pskov in Russia (Visit the oldest monastery in Russia) then cycle to Gdov then onwards to St Petersburg. You can camp by the lake near villages but be careful some areas are marked as no camping. Lucky if you meet local Russian fishermen and eat Uxa (local ceremonial fish soup). Enjoy!