Valence 0520 arrival - suggestions?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bryn

Valence 0520 arrival - suggestions?

Post by bryn »

My wife and I are starting a tour next weekend, being dropped off the Bike Bus in Valence at approx 0520 Saturday. Valence sunrise is after 0700, so it's a bit early to be heading off on unlit paths down the Rhone with dodgy lights and poor night vision, especially as our next night stop is only about 50km away.

When we were dropped off at Lyon at around 0300 I had a cheapo hotel booked, and that worked ok once I had the check-in machine figured out (not quickly at that time of the morning!). We were also fortunate that someone was coming in with a car, otherwise we might not have even got through the big site security gate without the magic code.

I'm considering trying to get into (on spec) another cheapo hotel near the Valence drop-off after we arrive, in the knowledge that we have to get up by 10 to avoid missing breakfast, and get out of the room by 11 to avoid paying for another day. Alternatively, book in advance and hope we can get through the security gate, and that the Bike Bus isn't a couple of hours late!

Just curious to know what other folks have done in similar circumstances.

Bryn
Cyril Haearn

Re: Valence 0520 arrival - suggestions?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It gets light a while before sunrise I think, and the gloaming is often the best part of the day

If it is still too dark, get a coffee at a filling station and wait a while, the day will be long and you could have a rest later

I would not want to pay a hotel for just 4h sleep :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

I was dropped of at Saintes at a similar time in the morning,(on EBE), and the guy that also exited said to make for the railway station until there was some light, which we did. There was nothing open but could ride out by about 5.30 with no lights, no traffic, all good so I wouldn't worry, have a nice trip.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Bryn, 3 posts in 8 years!
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

Bon voyage! We'll be there a week after you. Have had a four hour stay in hotel in Lyon one year for snooze/shower/breakfast which was very nice after 24 hours on bus, but not this year - heading west following drop off on a short, leisurely ride to near Le Cheylard.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I would buy some better lights and get rolling :)
bryn

Post by bryn »

Thanks for the replies folks. Finally settled on a B&B Hotel just round the corner from the bus stop.

Wow, that's 5 posts in 8 years. Am I becoming addicted to soshul medja?

Bryn