Cycle tour routes east to west passing south of London

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Marko60

Cycle tour routes east to west passing south of London

Post by Marko60 »

I'm planning a ride from Thanet in East Kent to Ebbw Vale in South Wales. I really want to avoid London and suburbs and would welcome any input as to recommended cycle-friendly routes which travel east-west to the south of London linking up the Maidstone/Tonbridge area to Reading/Newbury and without adding on significant mileage.
thanks for all advice.
gaz

Re: Cycle tour routes east to west passing south of London

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

You've said that you wish to avoid London. There are a number of other factors that need to be considered before recommending a route.

Are you happy riding on busy roads? How poor a surface will you consider off-road? Do you want to do some sight-seeing on the way?

I'd suggest using cycle.travel as a starting point, drag the initial route through your chosen points and away from those you want to avoid.

About twenty years back I rode New Quay (Ceredigion) to Medway via Abergavenny and Winchester. That was done with a UK road atlas and worked fairly well. Winchester was selected as the via point partly for the hostel accomodation, largely for the fact that I knew the roads home from there without much map reading.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

Coming from that far east to that far west you can aim quite far south without adding too much onto the mileage. Then you can avoid the busy areas around the M25 and M23.

I’d suggest aiming for something like Tunbridge Wells, Billingshurst, Whitchurch and then on west.
Marko60

Post by Marko60 »

Thanks for your replies.
I want to avoid London precisely because I don't want to be on busy roads. I'll be on a "light" tourer which won't do offroad but will be okay on smooth gravel paths. No sightseeing en route - unless I go past something interesting.
The cycle travel website looks like a really useful tool to build a route between towns on the way. Thanks for that.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

"https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4608703

I enjoy working out routes.
This route is 286 miles from Sarre Thanet to the Eddw Vale.
I have tried to
Keep to the lanes as much as possible
SO at major roads if possible if not right left
There a limited number of east west roads in Surrey
I have not ridden all this route but large segments or near by over the last 40 years but not all in one go.
I avoid the Seven Bridge to avoid busy roads.
It is not flat

https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4608794

This route is 286 miles from Sarre Thanet to the Eddw Vale.
I have tried to
Keep to the lanes as much as possible
SO at major roads if possible if not right left
I have gone further south
I have not ridden all this route but large segments or near by over the last 40 years but not all in one go.
I gone over the Seven Bridge to avoiding busy roads.
It is not flat"

I hope it gives you some ideas
hamster

Post by hamster »

North Downs Way / Pilgrims' Way looks worth considering depending on the type of bike and time of year.
gaz

Post by gaz »

hamster wrote:North Downs Way / Pilgrims' Way looks worth considering depending on the type of bike and time of year.

Marko60 wrote:I'll be on a "light" tourer which won't do offroad but will be okay on smooth gravel paths.

I'd take that as a no to the NDW and much of the PW.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
hamster

Post by hamster »

Much can be chewed up by horses after a wet spell.