Touring in Holland ,any book or map suggestions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
onb

Touring in Holland ,any book or map suggestions

Post by onb »

Hello , we are considering a round tour in Holland next year ,can anyone recommend and guide books and or maps that can help ?
honesty

Re: Touring in Holland ,any book or map suggestions

Post by honesty »

I got maps from a company called Falk for my recent holiday in the Netherlands. Good because the legend is in English and it's got the fietspad number thingys on it as well.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

There are maps with the long distance cycle routes (LF routes), but you could also use this routeplanner: https://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ to make your own routes, and download the gps tracks. The interface is in a number of different languages, and you can choose between fast routes, traffic free routes, nature routes etc etc.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Look on the Stanfords web site they have a very good range of maps and guides and also sell a very good cycling atlas for the whole of Holland.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Try the Dutch Cycling club, this is brilliant for touring in NL:
https://webshop.fietsvakantiewinkel.nl/ ... glish.html
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I used this book a few years ago, really good way of getting to know the country. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Nether ... 1900623196
Didn't use it all the time, once I'd worked out how to do the knooppunten system, but the main circular route is very good.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Tractorboy

Post by Tractorboy »

Just got back yesterday from round trip of Netherlands on our tandem. Route was planned mainly using "Cycling in Amsterdam and the Netherlands" by Eric van der Horst. Spiral bound and the right size & shape to fit in one section of a bike jersey. The book is supported by a website and you can download GPX files of all the routes to install in your satnav - if that's your thing.
We also joined a Dutch organisation called "Vrienden op de Fiets" - friends of cyclists - a sort of Air BnB for cyclists. Costs 10 euros per year to join and you get B&B in the homes of Dutch cyclists for 19 euros per night. Great way to meet Dutch cyclists.

Oh - and if you're going to Holland via the Harwich - Hook of Holland ferry, it's worth knowing about the Bawdsey Ferry and the Harwich Harbour Ferry. These two services give you a low traffic way to get to Harwich - avoiding the HGV superhighway i.e. the A120. Get yourself to Melton (next rail stop East from Woodbridge) and cycle to Bawdsey. 5 minute boat ride across the Deben estuary to Felixstowe Ferry, then a 30 minute ride round Felixstow sea front to Landguard Fort and a 15minute ride in a ferry that once was a lifeboat on the Canberra, and is the largest ferry in the UK that 'lands' on the beach!
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

The Fietsatlas https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fietsatlas-Ned ... X/ref=oosr IMHO is all you need for Holland covers all junction numbers for the whole country.
Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

We have used Eric van der Horst's book too and the ANWB Fietskaart Maps at 1:50,000 scale

Netherlands Map 2.jpg
Netherlands Map 1.jpg

The numbers on the map correspond to the numbers on the posts in the ground at those intersections and the posts themselves have indicators showing the directions to the next numbered posts on the map. The map excerpt is from the Groene Hart (Green Heart) map no.15 in the ANWB Fietskaart series.

These maps aren't as robust as our OS 1:50,000 series maps, the paper being a lot thinner and if you are a techno wizard (I'm not!) you could probably get a map download onto a garmin thing :-)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I actually managed perfectly well on my recent trip with a free map which came with Frienden Op De Fiets membership a couple of years ago, and the board maps at knooppunten!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Be aware that the ANWB maps are printed on the crappest paper possible I I had one literally fall apart on me after one damp days riding at the beginning of this month. They are otherwise very good :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
onb

Post by onb »

Lots to ponder on ,thanks for the advice one and all , does the Eric Van der Horst Netherland book cover Friedland , I have the Amsterdam and |Netherland book already and Friedland is not covered in it .
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

No, it doesn't cover Friesland. This has annoyed some people:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Amster ... 0957661711
but the sub-heading is 'The very best routes' - which is subjective and therefore his choice. One of the problems with buying books online without reading them in Waterstones first... I did a lot from that book and do think the routes are good - but a lot of Dutch people head for Drenthe for p&q!
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Just to clarify - I don't think there are two Eric van der Horst Netherlands books - I think the more recent editions just had the 'Amsterdam' added.
Please correct me anybody if I'm wrong!
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Anyone tried this one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Tourin ... ng+holland
As ever the comments are mixed...
― Peter Golkin