Around the world on £10k?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kapalasa

Around the world on £10k?

Post by Kapalasa »

Is it possible to bicycle tour around the world on a £10k budget, assuming you already have the touring bike, kit, etc?
meic

Re: Around the world on £10k?

Post by meic »

I am sure that it is, though it may depend on what you are willing to "allow" like getting some casual work for lodgings/food/cash along the way and some pre-paid tickets.

On the whole I reckon I could do that, especially if you have the "wimp-out" option of flying home when you reach your last £500.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

Most of the budget is going to be food and accommodation, so it's not about how far, but how long. Round the world in 10 months or 10 years?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Health insurance/repatriation costs ?

14 days in Spain is not expensive insurance wise but longer term and in more remote countries and for longer might eat in to that budget a bit. How much depends on your personal circumstances.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Drop our current colleague Stephen a mail and ask him, perhaps?
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 17 Sep 2017, 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

It is perfectly possible to do a world tour without health insurance.
Yma o Hyd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:It is perfectly possible to do a world tour without health insurance.

And when you get injured in the US and have little of your £10k left ...

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Most long term tourers don't have any form of insurance because it is virtually impossible to get. It is one of the risks people take when going away for a long time.

Many long haulers don't even think about it, let alone worry about it.

The OP question needs defining a bit more, otherwise the answer is Yes or No or Maybe. However if you reckon that 10k would give you 2 years at £10 a day, plus a back up fund (visas, air/boat tickets, etc) of £3,000, then yes it is very do-able.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

I guess ideally I'd be looking at about 18months. I don't want to race round, but want experience places along the way. Visa costs would be something I'd be grateful to get feedback on
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Do you have a route?

Visas vary considerably from country to country.

They can cost well over £100 for some countries eg India and China and be free for others eg Australia.

You can get some online, some in countries en route and others are difficult to get outside your home country.

Your nationality is also very important as many visas are reciprocal, ie if we make it tough on them they make it tough for us.

I get the feeling you are in the very early stages of planning. I would suggest you take a bit of time to think about and then plan your route. Also decide if you want to cycle all the way, or maybe overfly some places. You will have to do lots of reading and research - it's never been easier with the internet. You can then come back and ask specific questions on this or other forums.

I presume you know about crazyguonabike, Avery useful place to start.
Username

Post by Username »

simonhill wrote:Do you have a route?

Visas vary considerably from country to country.

They can cost well over £100 for some countries eg India and China and be free for others eg Australia.

You can get some online, some in countries en route and others are difficult to get outside your home country.

Your nationality is also very important as many visas are reciprocal, ie if we make it tough on them they make it tough for us.

I get the feeling you are in the very early stages of planning. I would suggest you take a bit of time to think about and then plan your route. Also decide if you want to cycle all the way, or maybe overfly some places. You will have to do lots of reading and research - it's never been easier with the internet. You can then come back and ask specific questions on this or other forums.

I presume you know about crazyguonabike, Avery useful place to start.

Ignore this bit. That is terrible advice, I would never even consider using another forum! The rest of his post is sound.