Long distance saddle choice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
yann.shukor

Long distance saddle choice

Post by yann.shukor »

Every year I travel home to Nice, on my own, from a European capital with my bike ex. Paris, Salzburg, Naples, etc.
Last year I started off from Madrid, and this year from Berlin; both of these trips took me nine days (~1500 kms).

I ride a Giant Defy Advanced bicycle equipped with disk brakes and Zipp 303 wheels.

My current saddle, ASTUTE Skylite, replaced the original Fizik saddle that came with the bicycle; I was told that most manufacturers equip their bikes with 'lesser' versions of saddles in order to trim the overall cost.

Previously I rode a TREK fitted with a Selle Italia saddle.

Sizewise I'm 1,72m and 68kgs

I wear an Assos T.Cento bib designed for long distances (purchased 2015) and apply copious amounts of Assos chamois cream

In preparation, during the year, I cycle once a week 60-80k with at least a 500m climb

My main difficulty during these trips is my back side

The sit-bone area becomes swollen with a sore on each side which gets understandably quite painful; Compeed and Doliprane/Neurofen are my only recourse

Each evening I wash my clothes with shampoo in my hotel room

Having adopted a vegan diet I have also chosen to avoid leather based products.

I'm still searching for THE saddle that will allow me to pursue such trips without the suffering.

I'm currently considering a Brooks C15 (or C13 145) saddle

Should I accept that it is the mileage and duration of these trips, or even lack of preparation, that are to blame for my plight and will remain thus whatever saddle I may choose ?

cheers
meic

Re: Long distance saddle choice

Post by meic »

Should I accept that it is the mileage and duration of these trips, or even lack of preparation, that are to blame for my plight and will remain thus whatever saddle I may choose ?

I am afraid the answer is yes.
Just like you couldnt walk that far without preparing your boots and feet and expect no blisters.
Yma o Hyd
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Backsides are individual things, and so what is a "good" saddle for Exhibit A might well be torture for Exhibit B. You just have to try different ones until you find a good one. I have never been really comfortable for any sort of duration on any "sports" saddle I've tried, padded bottom or not: they just don't work for me, and maybe they don't work for you.

Maybe the C15 is too narrow. Tried a 17?

Mark Beaumont has just done 18K miles at 240 a day on a Selle SMP Pro, so they certainly seem to work for at least some people for pretty serious work!

(I tour on a recumbent, much more comfortable, and no need for bum butter and silly trousers)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
yann.shukor

Post by yann.shukor »

thanks for your responses
horizon

Post by horizon »

meic wrote:

I am afraid the answer is yes.

+1 It isn't the saddle.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
yann.shukor

Post by yann.shukor »

Thanks all for your contributions

My research has brought me to look at the Well model developped by Selle SMP

The resellers are able to lend you a saddle in order to try it out for a few days, which is exactly what I plan to do
horizon

Post by horizon »

yann.shukor wrote:In preparation, during the year, I cycle once a week 60-80k with at least a 500m climb

Do you get the same problems on these rides? I would suggest that you look at building up to longer rides over more than one day before doing your main trip. The saddle of course is important but it is your body that has to properly adapt (which, unless there is something else going on, it will).

PS If I am right you are doing 104 miles per day over nine days. I would have to defer to more experienced 100 miler riders than I on this but my guess is that your preparation is a recipe for disaster. Forget the saddle and throw away the painkillers - build up slowly to that distance and then try to do 2 -3 days in a row until you no longer experiencing pain - just don't damage yourself further and take it slowly. The climb IMV is irrelevant - it is time on the saddle.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
hamster

Post by hamster »

I think this is all good advice. I never get a sore backside, and have a couple of saddle designs I know that work and have ridden on for a decade. I rode a tour this summer for which I was unprepared and for the first time ever got severe soreness.

Conditioning matters a lot.
B.B.B.

Post by B.B.B. »

I use t
Brooks, last year with it on a 250 mile tour I had sores.
I then found an article online about a salve called BAG BALM. Made in Vermont and used on cattle teats.
Last month I rode 721 miles in heat and humidity NO SORES using Bag Balm.

Yes my butt was tender but no rash.
Good luck
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Try a Rido 2 mate
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Been here many times myself, Brookes B17, SPA Nidd etc and always end up with a Selle Bassano £14.99 from Decathlon ... fits my pelvis and my bum perfectly on rides of up to 200km in a day ..so far.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

For me Saddle no 11 was a Selle SMP TRK. I tried the more upmarket Selle SMP saddles but found them too firm. The TRK is for me a 300 km+ saddle.

I've been through brooks, spa, fizik, Selle Italia gel flow (male and female) etc etc.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

For me Saddle no 11 was a Selle SMP TRK. I tried the more upmarket Selle SMP saddles but found them too firm. The TRK is for me a 300 km+ saddle.

I've been through brooks, spa, fizik, Selle Italia gel flow (male and female) etc etc.
yann.shukor

Post by yann.shukor »

Having tested the Drakon, I finally settled on the Selle SMP Well