Bordersloop cycle route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Antbrewer

Bordersloop cycle route

Post by Antbrewer »

I am thinking of cycling the Borders loop in Southern Scotland in early November. I have to visit a friend in St Boswells ( Very near Melrose) on a computer mission. So I thought I would put the bike in the car and then after the work would leave the car in his drive and pedal off on the 250 mile route. I have ordered the map from Sustrans.
I am sure some of you out there would have done this so I would appreciate any comment and tips about the route.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Anthony
Paulatic

Re: Bordersloop cycle route

Post by Paulatic »

That time of year bring good lights you've only a little more than 8 hrs light. Don't expect to find anything open between the towns and larger villlages.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Are you planning on doing the whole route without stopping? Accommodation or camping? Camp site or wild camping? Campsites and a lot of B & B accommodation are likely to close after the October holidays.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Bogmyrtle.

I am certainly not camping . However I might be looking at B & Bs and hotels. I have checked out a few along the first part of the route and they are open. How far I will get I have no idea and that doesn't matter either. I may not be able to do that much as my fitness isn't all it can be. However I will go along at my pace and enjoy the countryside.
I will report back after.
Anthony