Autumn in New England

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DavidWC

Autumn in New England

Post by DavidWC »

Has anyone got any suggestions for routes to see the best of the Autumn colours in New England
scottg

Re: Autumn in New England

Post by scottg »

Since no one answered,

I used this company a few years ago, they do self guided tours.
The routes and accommodations were very good.

http://inntoinn.com/

Notes: A "Gap" in New England is a mountain pass anywhere else.
In Vermont the one flat road is sign posted, flat roads feel strange
after a few days in Vermont.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

It is quite a few years since I went but it is a wonderful experience. My neighbour on the plane was a Bostonian and he thought I may have been too soon for the 'foliage', Boston was still green, but the colours come down from the north west to south east, within 50 miles of cycling NW out of Boston I found 'foliage'
Can't remember exact routes, but headed up to Mount Greylock where I discovered the Appalachian mountain huts, not unlike our youth hostels and stayed in the one of the mountain... then cut around to Mount Washington... well worth the trip but you cannot cycle up it, it is a private road, I took the bus up.... and frankly would not have wanted to cycle it due to risk of hypothermia....

Be aware that accommodation can be very hard to come by at weekends as the New Yorkers etc., flock to see the foliage..... I stayed in a mix of motels, useful as the bike could go into the room.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
raybo

Post by raybo »

Check the Adventure Cycling Association (the cycle touring organization in the US) for suggested routes. They have The Green Mountain Loop and others that go through New England.

I did a ride during the fall of 2010 and it was one of my favorites. Here is a detailed journal of that ride that started in Pennsylvania, went up to Maine, and finished in Boston.

Here are selected photos of that trip.

The various states have websites that predict when prime leaf viewing times will be. One example: http://www.vermont.com/foliage.cfm
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
DavidWC

Post by DavidWC »

Thanks for the suggestions- I know they will be very helpful. Much appreciated