hebridean way ferry fares

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nick12

hebridean way ferry fares

Post by nick12 »

Hi. Im planning on doing the hebridean way in june 2018. Would loke to know the ferry prices from oban to barra .any ferrys enroute through the islands and from stornaway to ullapool. If anybody has done it this year a rough price for me and the bike would be great so as to work out my budget for the trip. Thanks.
mnichols

Re: hebridean way ferry fares

Post by mnichols »

I did it a couple of weeks ago, but booked the ferries in advance for 4 people and a car. We booked all the ferries in one go except Raasay which you can't book

Try the Calmac website

One thing I noticed on the Raasay ferry is that cycles were listed as free. The gotcha is that the cyclist had to pay as a pedestrian. So unless you're planning on putting your bike on the ferry and swimming alongside budget accordingly
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Look up the price for a Hopscotch 8 ticket which goes from Oban to Ullapool via the islands.
It was £29.90 this summer for a foot passenger and bikes travel free.
So add a little for inflation next year.

All the other multi-island routes are also on the hopscotch page.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thaanks guys thats hellpful. And doable. Cheaper than i thought. Hopscotch it is. :D
meic

Post by meic »

I tried following that link out of curiosity and when you go to buy a ticket I couldnt find anyway to avoid being a motorvehicle. There was no option that I could find for pedestrian or cyclist.
I have no intention of using the ferries in the near future, I was just curious about the prices.
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Hopscotch isn't any cheaper than the separate fares now that RET has been introduced, though it makes things easier in terms of queuing for tickets "These tickets are offered for convenience only and do not offer any discount on the single journey ticket price."
Oban to Castlebay is £14.30, Barra to Eriskay is £2.95, Berneray to Leverburgh is £3.45, Stornoway to Ullapool is £9.20, total £29.90.
(until the end of October at least).

A cyclist is a "driver/passenger" - it's a per person charge, plus a separate charge for the vehicle (which is zero for a pedal bike).
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Having done an end to end of the OH plus a few detours a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't be worried about them not having room. Whilst they do fill up with cars they seem much more flexible for bikes and just squeeze you on. The bigger risk is ferries not running due to bad weather. This seem a particular problem with Mallaig
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Gatliff hostels
Check them out.
I used them on my Hebredian end to end in May.
Excellent value. Not bookable but usually no problems.

As has been mentioned, only problem could be cancelled ferries. I always have a plan B. (& C sometimes)
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

You must always have a plan B and possibly plan C as well when dealing with Hebridean ferries. Today Barra sailings are not as timetabled for example due to weather and the Ardmhor ferry is off. Lochaline to Fishnish has had a couple of mechanicals recently which gave a few hours delay as has the MV Coruisk Oban to Craignure. You can check ferry status on line or you can subscribe to a link for text messages giving warning of problems on specific routes. Calmac website is the easiest way of setting this up. I have 2 links to my phone and most regular ferry users have similar.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Some good information there. Thanks for that .shall look at plan b just incase. Keep an eye on weather forcast for the week im planing. Nice one :D
juice

Post by juice »

Slightly off topic I’ve done the Hebrides a couple of times and would second the comments above re hostels, the
http://www.nuntonhousehostel.com/ On benbecular is the best hostel I’ve used in Scotland.