Netherlands North Sea cycle route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
neilob

Netherlands North Sea cycle route

Post by neilob »

Anyone ridden this from Rotterdam up to Grongingen and beyond? What is the surface like and are the directions clear? I have found a gpx file to download so I am assuming it is a popular route? We are going next May so any insight would be very much appreciated.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
mjr

Re: Netherlands North Sea cycle route

Post by mjr »

neilob wrote:Anyone ridden this from Rotterdam up to Grongingen and beyond? What is the surface like and are the directions clear? I have found a gpx file to download so I am assuming it is a popular route? We are going next May so any insight would be very much appreciated.

I've ridden Massluis (between Rotterdam and Hoek van Holland) to Nordwijkerhout (between Leiden and Haarlem). I think it's all hard surface until north of Katwijk where there's a stonedust section. It's mostly tarmac with some concrete in the dunes and some paving in the towns. Directions are even clearer than the Dutch average, with both hexagonal LF1 (a/b for directions) route number and circular ordinary junction number signs at most junctions and special North Sea route signs at some, plus there's a letter/number-in-fluorescent-arrows system they use for diversions if there's any construction works diverting through traffic. It's fairly popular but even so you are likely to be riding alone at times on some out-of-town sections.

If you're going in early May, a short diversion off the route to spend a few hours at the tulip theme park at Keukenhof near Lisse is worthwhile IMO, although check the prices and opening times first. The easiest cycle parking is by the buses at the entrance on the inland side.

(edited to correct spelling error - DYAC)
Last edited by mjr on 4 Oct 2017, 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Did it last year - Schiphol to Groningen - it's very clear. There are a couple of places where we went on a route via the Knoppunkt system somewhere near Anna Paulowna where we ended up on a farm track that was desperately muddy.

The signage and tracks were otherwise excellent.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We certainly enjoyed the dune section from the ferry at IJmuiden up to den helder. Good surface all the way. Although the herringbone block surface wasn't my favourite. Certainly very easy to follow.

A bit of a diversion on the north side of the little ferry from IJmuiden which could get you a bit turned around.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ridden from the Belgian border at Knokke to the German border and beyond to Denmark. Good surfaces for pretty much the whole distance, you could ride it all on a road bike. The biggest issue is windblown sand on the dune sections - just be sensible and it's not an issue.

It is possible to lose the route if you stray in the towns for a cafe etc but it's not difficult to get back on track.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've roughly followed it from the Hook to Hirtshals.
1,000 miles between the UK and Iceland ferry.
I say roughly because I didn't have a map and every so often I'd loose the route in a town/city.
If that happened, I'd aim for the smallest road nearest the sea and if that wasn't the exact route I soon found it again.

The other thing to watch out for in some sections is sheep [inappropriate word removed] as there are a lot of sheep on some off road sections.
If it's dry then you're ok. But if it's wet, it can get nasty.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Thanks everyone. Our loose plan is to ride as far as Bremerhaven then cut south to Bremen where we get a train to Dusseldorf. From there we follow the Rhine back to Rotterdam. By the way we are getting the boat into Europort from Hull....has anyone used the small ferry across to the Hoek or do you have to ride all the way thru Rotterdam?
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
mjr

Post by mjr »

neilob wrote:By the way we are getting the boat into Europort from Hull....has anyone used the small ferry across to the Hoek or do you have to ride all the way thru Rotterdam?

I've used it from Maasvlaakte and it's fine and takes bikes tied to railings on the rear open deck - I think it's more of a workman's boat and unlike most ferries, the staff really didn't want tourists delaying the boat and handled bikes rather roughly IMO, so have your luggage ready for quick-release and if you use pipe lagging or cloth to protect your frame on the boat, maybe fit it for this too. It cuts out 10 miles cycling compared to the Maasluis ferry and 25 miles compared to LF12 near Rotterdam, but it only calls at Pistoolhaven (5 miles cycleway ride from Europoort) hourly. https://www.ret.nl/en/home/travelling-w ... haven.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The best ferry to take is the ferry from Rozenburg to Maassluis. From there I suggest to plan a route with the routeplanner of the Dutch Cycling Club: https://routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ with multilingual interface, and a choice of scenic, car free, fast etc route variants. By and large you have two options: either diagonally though the country, right through the big nature reserve (Veluwe) in the middle of the country, or straight north along the coast, and then east, either along the big dam in the north (Afsluitdijk) or via at least some of the beautiful islands in the north. The western/northern route may be rather windy at times.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

neilob wrote:Thanks everyone. Our loose plan is to ride as far as Bremerhaven then cut south to Bremen where we get a train to Dusseldorf. From there we follow the Rhine back to Rotterdam. By the way we are getting the boat into Europort from Hull....has anyone used the small ferry across to the Hoek or do you have to ride all the way thru Rotterdam?

I used it a couple of years ago. From the ferry terminal it's about 5km (not miles) along a wide little used road to the RET Fastferry terminal. There is a bit of a shelter if it's cold and wet as well as a countdown timer for arrival.

There aren't a lot of journeys, I think I caught the 9.00 journey which goes direct to Hoek having done the other stops on its outward journey. The boat at that time was pretty quiet. The rear area is for bike parking, you shouldn't need to unload bags. The front part of the boat is the passenger lounge complete with screens showing you the forward view.

It doesn't take long to cross, 20 mins or thereabouts and you arrive at the marina, unless you want to go into town turn left which will take you towards the Hook itself, you can pick up the cycle paths from there, stop for coffee or buy a bucket and spade!

If you have time at Bremerhaven do a tourist day, the excellent maritime museum, the bus tour around the docks, an ascent to the viewing platform and a meal at the Fischafen. It's also a departure point for day trips to Helgoland.

Sounds like a nice trip :D
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:I used it a couple of years ago. From the ferry terminal it's about 5km (not miles) along a wide little used road to the RET Fastferry terminal.

How? http://cycle.travel/map?from=51.9406,4. ... 598,4.0902
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I used it a couple of years ago. From the ferry terminal it's about 5km (not miles) along a wide little used road to the RET Fastferry terminal.

How? http://cycle.travel/map?from=51.9406,4. ... 598,4.0902

Sorry, you are right, it didn't seem that far! However your route there follows the motorway and I didn't, there's a lane that follows the water once you cross the bridge which is more sheltered and pleasant. Still compared to the horrible ride around via Maasluis it's both a bargain and a time saver!