Travel Insurance for cycling at altitude

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Travel Insurance for cycling at altitude

Post by mnichols »

I'm thinking (my finger is hovering over the book button) of doing a cycle tour in the Himalayas which goes up to just under 18,000 feet

My insurance company (Axa, via Lloyds) have said they won't cover me, not because of the altitude, but because they would class this as Mountain Biking due to the condition of the roads

The tour company recommend Snowcard, who will insure me, but the cost is nearly £300

The cycling UK link is coming up at between £70 and £90 before the discount (anyone know the code?) but I can't tell whether they would insure me from the policy wording. I have a pre-existing medical condition, which it looks like the don't cover from the policy but I will call them

So, does anyone know a company that will ensure someone with a pre-existing medical condition, to cycle in the Himalayas on poor condition roads on a MTB without costing a fortune?
Chat Noir

Re: Travel Insurance for cycling at altitude

Post by Chat Noir »

I've used Austrian Alpine Club in the past, both for climbing trips and for mountain-biking (in the Caucasus).

https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance

Don't know what they'd do with pre-existing condition but whenever I've called them been very helpful - might be worth asking them.

I bank with Nat West and discovered that their travel insurance would have covered me in the Caucasus but went for the additional cover because not certain we'd stick to their conditions (had to be on existing tracks) before we set off. In the event would have been sufficient but glad to have the extra cover.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
hufty

Post by hufty »

Book it!

I use Insure&Go annual multi-trip. I have to upgrade to a gold package due to medical screening, but this allows for longer individual trip lengths. Used them for Himalaya and Pamirs.

Always read the small print, ring for clarification on anything if necessary, but I would be very wary of ringing to ask about things that are not already mentioned in the small print! You're mugging yourself by ringing up to ask call centre people "do you cover me at altitude on bad roads"? Something that specific would have to be mentioned in the wording if they wanted it excluded, it's not something they could pluck out of thin air afterwards. Now we know that on a touring bike on bad roads you slow down and go round the potholes so it's actually slower and safer, but they're not going to know that and you're not going to be able to put that across at the relevant meeting.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hufty, I don't think so.

I think you will find that Insurance Companies expect you to declare anything relevant even if it isn't in their ts & cs. I've heard this discussed on the radio a few times.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Well simonhill I don't think so back, whatever you heard on You and Yours. But fill your boots, talk up your premiums.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
turfroof

Post by turfroof »

BMC specifically covers cycle touring and will cope with the altitude if you select the right level of cover. Almost more to the point, they are likely to be able to help if you require assistance. Not cheap though...
Where are you going? I've been over a few 5000m passes in the last couple of weeks....
turfroof

Post by turfroof »

Ps, if it's 'travel insurance' you want then the encouragement to book it is a bit premature - the insurance needs to be in place before you hit the book button.
FWIW I think there are 2 ways of looking at this, either cheapest and wing it (I'm not sure the cycling uk insurance would cover you for much above European alpine heights but hey don't tell them and who's to know, as suggested above) or look at Snowcard or BMC etc with the cost implications but potentially 'proper' cover.
As is implied by all the replies, it's a bloomin minefield..
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

It’s Manali to Leh, and I’ve paid the deposit, but it’s not guaranteed yet....they need a few more people

I’ll buy the insurance and book the flights when it’s guaranteed

Also need to decide whether to take my own bike (preferred but hassle) or hire