Availability of ISO screw cannister gas propane for stoves in USA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GideonReade

Availability of ISO screw cannister gas propane for stoves in USA

Post by GideonReade »

OK, so we're on a long trip, with a Whisperlite stove that runs on butane/propane or petrol/gasoline/white gas. Soon going to the States. But is it really worth the effort of carrying the petrol tank and pump? Or can I actually buy cannister gas easily in the southern USA?

California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Missisipi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida. I notice that REI are absent from some of these states, so maybe they're not into the whole lightweight camping thing?

Advice on buying cannister gas - ISO screw especially - in these states appreciated.
crazydave789

Re: Availability of ISO screw cannister gas propane for stoves in USA

Post by crazydave789 »

from what I've been watching and reading this past year it shouldn't be a problem as there are still plenty of hardware stores, camping and bait shops around.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Coleman fuel is available everywhere, but i've never found a problem with gas either. WalMart etc usually stock it.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

On the Southern tier this spring never found it a problem obtaining gas. Walmart sells coleman, Dicks sells MSR also. RV parks rarely sell them.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

albal1 wrote:On the Southern tier this spring never found it a problem obtaining gas. Walmart sells coleman, Dicks sells MSR also. RV parks rarely sell them.

from comments on CGOAB, southern RV parks rarely accept tents and cyclists and won't stock anything to assist them as it means they don't have to build and clean shower blocks, toilets or run a shop/cafe.
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Having now gotten to Miami, I'll answer my own question.

Walmart Superstores (not neighborhood stores) , to be found in almost every town medium sized and up, pretty reliably stock both 220g and 440g ISO screw gas cylinders. Coleman all weather propane/butane mix, reasonable price.

Big 5 sports shops do also, but were only found in Western states; Ditto REI and other outdoor shops. And costlier than Walmart.

As another poster remarked, campgrounds don't.

Slightly better availability of the Coleman screw top cannister gas, but I think these only fit Coleman stoves(?), and they're about 50% bigger (than 440g) and feel a lot heavier.

Occasionally saw the Gaz Bluet pierce type, can't remember where.

Didn't use petrol or kerosene at all in USA.

Incidentally, MSR provided good support, forwarding a full service kit to a shop in Oz for us (not free), then also in Oz replacing/posting the petrol pump for free, then in the USA forwarding a replacement cannister screw fitting, free, to a shop. Ace support, although unfortunately the pump had a mfr defect and the cannister fitting was a failure-prone design, the replacement being redesigned. I stripped & cleaned the stove once.