Hotels/B&Bs but would prefer own hot cooked meals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

Re: Hotels/B&Bs but would prefer own hot cooked meals

Post by SA_SA_SA »

SA_SA_SA wrote:.....to cook stuff in the (partially opened) tin....
:)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I noticed some inductive hotplates in lidl which made me think.....

Most conventional cylindrical tins of vegetables/meat in sauce/small potatoes are still steel so one could perhaps make a suitable enclosing inductive apparatus to cook stuff in the (partially opened) tin....

for some reason we were taught on recruit cadres to put a dent in the sides of our tins before cooking in boiling water, when they popped back they were done, I've done it direct on a gas stove the same way but it takes just as long for your metal cricket ball to cool down. in boiling water though which is how the tins are prepared in the first place they can't explode and we used to make pressure cookers out of alu grenade tins with a little hole in the top as a vent.

hence the pop in a travel kettle routine the cans will never burst.

if you have a cookset with you anyway then one of those little plug in elements for boiling water in a cup would work albeit slowly, but handy if there's not provided amenities. some B&Bs will have a communal area for making drinks to take to your room. I actually prefer that way as you get more than two teas two coffees one hot choc choice you usually get.

years ago I was fitting a kitchen in the middle of nowhere and the decorator put a tin of heinz spag bol in the aga on its side, turns out the aga was being burnt off so was rather hotter than usual, I stood up and turned around to get some fixings when the can when off, blowing open the door and throwing hot spagetti where i had been kneeling a few seconds earlier like a claymore mine. made a right mess of my cream painted doors.

I can't say I was impressed but it did lead to the bean bomb on scout camps when doing danger demos.

there's some movie where a US detective makes hot dogs hot by wiring forks to live and neutral and flicking the switch on an off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_jLssjOYE
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I thought manufacturers of food tins superheated them and their contents to above 120 degrees C when sealed(ie pressurised) in order to kill off botulism spores....
http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/AI407E22.htm
https://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/preserving/canning/canning-basics-2/

My inductive idea was to avoid messing around with water or kettles hence the open tin part...
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

yep most tinned foods are cooked in the tins themselves which is why cross and blackwell beans were always crunchy when we was little. the old tins can go a lot hotter, ring pulls though need gentler treatment, scout camps I used to tie the tins together and drop in the water boiler for half an hour then use what we needed and left the rest unopened. less washing up and less waste.

if you open the tin you have to stir it though, unless you use a very low heat for a long time, sealed you can give it a shake to mix it all up.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Or a milk frother (70C max): https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/cookshop/st09859i/?

Or a modern variable temperature kettle with concealed element....
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

A small rice cooker (with removable pan)?