Hotels/B&Bs but would prefer own hot cooked meals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

Hotels/B&Bs but would prefer own hot cooked meals

Post by SA_SA_SA »

IWhen cycling I prefer main meal at night as dinner:

When (eg in autumn) staying in Hotels/ B&Bs I have always just eaten in the restaurant even though I would prefer the simple no non-nonsense food I would (Trangia) cook when camping (ie reheating tinned veg, meat with pasta/rice) which is probably better for one than restaurant food:

I would rather have arrived at hotel/B&B then cook rather than cook outside mid0journey and arrive later (eg possibly when dark).

As I am ruling out dehydrated food, what options are left: I suppose a B&B might be more likely to reheat some tins for you (and could pasta be cooked, hay-box style, in several loads of boiling water from kettle, in insulated pot?) but what about hotels:

would hotels reheat food from tins?

it occurred to me one could bring ones own concealed element travel kettle with suitably rated in-line (for filament-bulb) dimmer which one could use to gently reheat tinned veg in sauce stuff: but I suspect if asked hotel would be unhappy with any kettle other than their supplied kettle used in room, and of course, that would only be for water? I suppose they might stretch to allowing your own kettle to boil water, but I am doubtful about anything else.

Room service does of course imply they don't mind people eating proper dinners in their rooms .
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
horizon

Re: Hotels/B&Bs but would prefer own hot cooked meals

Post by horizon »

The words "youth" and "hostel" come to mind. But then so do "shared" and "dormitory". It is strange how the two go together but are rarely otherwise discovered apart. I did stay in accommodation recently in Portsmouth which was like a normal B&B but had no breakfast but did have a shared kitchen - that is very unusual though.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

horizon wrote:The words "youth" and "hostel" come to mind. .

I have abandoned youth hostels: they are too far apart, too likely to be full if unbooked, and also I no longer want to sleep in a dorm.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Air BnB? One nighters are pretty easy to book. Then you can do what you like. One of the pleasures I look forward to on tours is the food that others cook. Occasionally its disappointing but thats rare.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

al_yrpal wrote:Air BnB?

Googles...
Does that suit unbooked use though: ie turn up in town, look for accommodation? I don't have a smartphone.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

SA_SA_SA wrote:

Googles...
Does that suit unbooked use though: ie turn up in town, look for accommodation? I don't have a smartphone.

Yes, you would need a smartphone. My Moto E cost £70 and I use Three 321 pay as you go. You charge up a tenner credit and that credit lasts until you have used it. I reckon it costs me less than a fiver a month. Using AirbnB will give you what you want, but, you face the same uncertainty and lack of choice as you would just turning up somewhere on spec. You obviously have a PC or something so you can book the first few. Some places do allow you to cancel at short notice. Have a look at it from your desktop machine and see what you think.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 19 Oct 2017, 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

Al

Could be the way forward. Lacks all the facilities and convivialty of hostels but you get your own room.

I haven't used it yet but often explore it as alternative to B&Bs and hostels. What I find often is that of course the AirB&B reflects the local prices at that time. However because it often lacks an en suite, offers no breakfast and the rooms can be single and smaller, the price is lower. Well established guest houses have had years to invest in better facilities and build en suites so you pay for a lot more than you really need.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Have you tried doing meals in your room cooking instant noodles with just boiled water? Then adding different extras such as cheesy things and cooked meats. A couple of sweet pastries for desert and you have a meal. Most rooms have a kettle and all you need is to carry a small dish or even a fold flat one. Going abroad take a travel kettle.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

horizon wrote:I did stay in accommodation recently in Portsmouth which was like a normal B&B but had no breakfast but did have a shared kitchen - that is very unusual though.

Maes Y Mor in Aberystwyth is another like that. "Normal" bedrooms, with a self catering kitchen.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:Air BnB? One nighters are pretty easy to book.
Al

Odd that despite using them for several UK and Europe city breaks I'd never considered them for cycle touring, I ought to give it a try.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

bikepacker wrote:Have you tried doing meals in your room cooking instant noodles with just boiled water? Then adding different extras such as cheesy things and cooked meats. ...

But I would prefer proper non dehydrated vegetables and sauce from a tin :)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Most if not all BnBs have kettles in their rooms, you could ask about being able to sort out a simple meal for yourself in their kitchen or have somewhere you can use a camp stove.

gas is probably the better medium for indoor cooking, smell wise it's no different to taking back a takeaway IMO which is what I usually like to do, pick up some food and find a view to look at.

I used to warm tinned food in travel kettles all the time when on site - half fill kettle, drop tin in and boil, leave for a while turn tin over boil again then leave for a few more mins and its usually nice and hot, as a kid I used to put eggs in the kettle in the morning and after a couple of boils eat the eggs for lunch. never had one break :D boil in the bag type meals work that way as well although pouch pasta is expensive for what you get and rice is better value.

as a soldier there was always a mess tin on a gas burner somewhere anywhere we had our kit with us. hexy block stoves would go out onto the windowsill if non flammable.

you can also make cheese toasties with an iron.

it's also worth asking about evening meals at the BnB, traditionally seaside BnBs would make a bit extra by doing bed breakfast and evening meal just like the hotels did, they might rustle up a few extra portions from the family meal. Because I grew up in hotels I usually get chatting and sometimes get asked if I wanted to join in their takeaway order if it was fish and chips, pizza or chinese night.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I sometimes eat my own food when staying in hotels. I get some free nights in Holidays Inns, but the food is very expensive. I take porridge for the morning (use their kettle) and supplement with locally bought milk, yogurt and banana.

I would be happy to eat the same in the evening, or you could buy pasta pots, pot noodle or sandwiches, etc

Eating at hotels and restaurants can start to add up on long tours
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

crazydave789 wrote:...a camp stove.

gas is probably the better medium for indoor cooking, ....

No, I definitely, wouldn't do that, I think the management would take a dim view of naked flames/flammable gas etc. Plus you might set off smoke/heat alarms: which mightn't make one popular with other guests.. On the other hand they don't mind electric kettles cos they supply one, so using your own as well seems more acceptable ... :)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

you can always take your own electric single plate hob, or a travel microwave