Brighton YHA update October 2017

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Brighton YHA update October 2017

Post by mercalia »

I stayed there for a few days this week. Has been a year now since last time. Well they have a proper cycle shed now, entrance by the side in an alley way ( watch out for lorries pulling in from the main street, I was nearly clobbered by a dustbin lorry turning sharply into the alley and it is very narrow) . The cycle store has a double door both controlled by a magnetic strip card - they use another one for access to the dorm rooms. You have to be careful how you store these keys as they are easily corrupted - dont store them in a wallet where the magnetic strips are adjacent/on top of one another - I had to get mine reporgramed 3 time :roll: The cycle store seems quite secure and dry and there is a power point. I dont like the metal "racks" for storing the bikes, rather flimsy and and I couldnt work out how to use them, these things are at shoulder height, in a rather narrow but longish room. Lights are controlledby motion sensor - the only thing if you take too long to lock your bike you will be plunged into 100% darkness as the sensor seems to be near the door. Re security, they seem to have gone a bit over board now since the lifts now require use of the dorm key and and also the doors on the stairwells But then I suppose since they are also open to the public as they run a coffee bar then thats required. It seems the place is manned 24 hrs a day and they supply food 24 hrs ( atleast piza and maybe coffee ). They do get a lot of foreign student groups here. Since it is manned 24 hrs a day there is no hurry to leave, you could if you wanted sit and chat in their comfy armchairs in the baywindowed lounge that looks out over Old Steine
Mike_Ayling

Re: Brighton YHA update October 2017

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Apart from lacking a bike shed, the security arrangements are not dis-similar to the hostel at Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia.

(cue plaintive violin music) Now when I first joined YHA in London in 1969 or so the door of the hostel did not open until 5PM, you had to get back before 10PM and you were locked out after I think 10AM.

Mind you they only charged about 5 shillings a night!.

Mike
Last edited by Graham on 28 Nov 2017, 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation deleted
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

Plus I do not think motor vehicles were allowed in those days. You had to arrive under your own team. Mind you folks just parked in the nearest car park and walked a few yards to the hostel.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Cuddly Ocelot wrote:Plus I do not think motor vehicles were allowed in those days. You had to arrive under your own team. Mind you folks just parked in the nearest car park and walked a few yards to the hostel.

Yes, that is how I remember it.

Mike
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:Lights are controlledby motion sensor - the only thing if you take too long to lock your bike you will be plunged into 100% darkness as the sensor seems to be near the door.

If one moves the light should come on again

What if there is a fire, can one get out without a card? Are there stairs as well as lifts?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Apart from the bike shed it sounds like the high security Govt computer centre I used to work in.

PS All locks should automatically release if the alarms go off. In this respect they are much safer than conventional locks or bolts, etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If one moves the light should come on again.

What if there is a fire, can one get out without a card? Are there stairs as well as lifts?

it does but the sensor seems to be near the door which is at one end of the narrow and long room - so if you have locked your bike at the end of the room , the other end to the door you will have to feel your way to the door to get it on again :roll:

getting out is ok as there is a button to press, just getting in needs the card. if the lights failed it would be fun trying to get out of the dark hole of calcutta as it is really some kind of basement and winds around ( figure of S) up and down slopes :oops: