Sad news Chen Guanming got kill on the road

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Sad news Chen Guanming got kill on the road

Post by mjr »

For those who don't read Spanish, as far as I can understand, Chen Guanming was a 63-year-old Chinese cyclist who had ridden more than 170,000 km on his trike, worldwide since 2001 including visits to the Olympics since 2008, and was killed by a lorry heading the same way on Route 3, 42km south of Puerto Santa Cruz, while on his journey towards Tokyo 2020. It looks like the lorry driver is accused of not seeing him and causing his death.

:-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I suppose the more miles you do the more likely it can happen. He was lucky for so long
whoof

Post by whoof »

mercalia wrote:I suppose the more miles you do the more likely it can happen. He was lucky for so long

170,000km in seven years is only a bit over 15,000 miles a year. I don't see having done this sort of mileage and not having yet been run over as being lucky.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Google translate is your friend: looks like was killed here 49°16'47.8"S 67°46'35.3"W in southern Argentina.
A renowned amateur cyclist from China who traveled more than 170,000 kilometers in his "tricicleta" died when he was hit by a truck on a route in the province of Santa Cruz, it was reported today.

This is Chen Guanming, a 63-year-old peasant who, in his rickshaw, traveled through Patagonia.

The man was struck by a truck on Route 3, at kilometer 2294, 42 kilometers south of Puerto Santa Cruz, in the province of the same name.

The newspaper "Tiempo Sur" reported on the basis of police reports that the truck "hit the tricycle with a cart", which circulated in the same direction.

Following the incident, which occurred on Wednesday night, "the Special Transfer Unit of the High Court of Justice was required to transfer the dead body of the Chinese citizen to the capital city for the purpose of performing the necropsy" , added "Tiempo Sur".

Chen was touring the world in his vehicle since 2001 and became famous when arriving in it to the Olympic Games of Beijing 2008, London 2012, Rio de Janeiro 2016.

After his presence in Argentina, he planned to go to Peru and reach Tokyo, Japan, for the 2020 Olympics. (DyN)