Urban Touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: Urban Touring?

Post by pwa »

A couple of summers ago we did a nine day canal boat holiday that included going through Brum. The canal took us through some very run-down areas with old factories right up against the water, and we went under Spaghetti Junction. In between the man made stuff were patches of marsh and scrub that nature had reclaimed, and the whole experience was interesting. We enjoyed it. The tow path also doubled as cycle track, of course, though on a bike you would be perhaps more vulnerable to other path users. The rest of our trip was rural, so the Brum section stood out as something different.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I have never been to Birmingham - I think thats a city I would like to look around
Si

Post by Si »

More trees than paris, more canal than venice.

Plenty to see and do, famous for post industrial grot, but also loads of parks and nature reserves ( biggest urban park in europe....so they claim) , lots of culture ( not just curry houses) and history.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Si wrote:....my old commute was about 10 miles by a reasonably straight route, but i have managed to stretch it out to 90 miles due to wanting to go look at stuff on the way.

That's not a commute, that's Skiving ;-)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Dunkirk to Vlissingen is about 70 miles with around 1,000ft of climbing. Easily doable in a day at a steady pace.

But who wants to overnight in Dunkirk? ;) If arriving on the ferry the same day, the port is another 12 miles west, plus you're very much at the mercy of wind direction in that part of the world... some days, it may be easily doable, but others that's going to be a stiff challenge even for the experienced.

I spent a pleasant evening in the Port of Dunkirk, staying at an Etap hotel and sampling the Belgian beers at the Old Steamer Bar, next to the old U boat and Lightship in the harbour.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Si

Post by Si »

captain offensive wrote:
Si wrote:....my old commute was about 10 miles by a reasonably straight route, but i have managed to stretch it out to 90 miles due to wanting to go look at stuff on the way.

That's not a commute, that's Skiving ;-)

No, just making the most of flexitime ;-)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've very happily explored Birmingham, mainly by canal, it feels like another dimension, and Spaghetti Junction from underneath has to be seen to be believed! I've more recently toured in the Ruhr in Germany on a Brommie, hardly touched the area it is so huge, and full of industrial ruins. It's maybe heresy to say that this was more interesting than the mile after mile of cycling on flood banks that cycling the Rhine involves...
The enjoyable side of urban touring is however down to decent cycling provision, or the presence of re-purposed towpaths or railway lines. Busy polluted road cycling isn't fun.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am glad to know I am not the only one then. I have been visiting some of the parks in London. Yesterday using my Freedom Pass to get to Watfords Cassiobury Park which is next to the Grand Union Canal and has various lagoons and walks around what they call cress beds. Tarmacked or dirt all very pleasant, avenues of trees and many bridges over the water ways: The park is open 24/7 so was very pleasnat being there at dusk and a chill in the air. I ended up having a look at Watford town centre at night before passing on the McDonalds whose BigMacs and fries looked like they had been waiting some time :?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Si wrote:More trees than paris, more canal than venice.

Plenty to see and do, famous for post industrial grot, but also loads of parks and nature reserves ( biggest urban park in europe....so they claim) , lots of culture ( not just curry houses) and history.

A route taking in the Netherton Tunnel (at 1.75 miles long but with a decent, railed towpath) adds to the interest!:-D A while back I drove Mrs H to a conference at the University as I had a free day & devised a route that took me across towards Dudley to pick up the canals, through the tunnel & back to the University along the towpaths via Gas St.

On more familiar territory to me, I now know several routes that will get you right across Manchester, barely touching on busy roads (often only to cross them) using a mix of railway paths, canal towpaths, across parks &, where necessary, quiet streets.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I treat my touring as 2 things. Firstly there is the point to point touring, then there is the local (unloaded) exploring.

As I usually stay in towns because of accommodation needs, this means that I am often exploring that town. This might be a half hour pedal round after dumping my gear, or it could be longer. Sometimes I even do a bit of urban sightseeing before finding my accommodation.

Having a bike to urban sightsee is so much better than walking as you can cover much more ground.

As far as touring through urban areas, may I recommend Seoul. It is one of the largest cities in the world, but you can ride from one side to the other on dedicated cycle paths all the way. Much easier than trying to go round it. Wonderful.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

mercalia wrote:well I have never been to Birmingham - I think thats a city I would like to look around

you can camp in my garden or use the cabin. I'm in longbridge.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

RickH wrote:
Si wrote:More trees than paris, more canal than venice.

A route taking in the Netherton Tunnel (at 1.75 miles long but with a decent, railed towpath) adds to the interest!:-D A while back I drove Mrs H to a conference at the University as I had a free day & devised a route that took me across towards Dudley to pick up the canals, through the tunnel & back to the University along the towpaths via Gas St.

On more familiar territory to me, I now know several routes that will get you right across Manchester, barely touching on busy roads (often only to cross them) using a mix of railway paths, canal towpaths, across parks &, where necessary, quiet streets.

ooh didn't know you could get through one of the tunnels. I know the one by the black country museum is a day trip affair as you get to see the quarries under the hill.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Brompton touring!

I tried this on the recommendation of a friend

Load up Brompton and Cyclone Trailer

Take train to City

Spend a couple of days on Brompton with front bag investigating the city and its environs, with public transport where appropriate.

Then move on to another town / city and repeat
RickH

Post by RickH »

crazydave789 wrote:ooh didn't know you could get through one of the tunnels. I know the one by the black country museum is a day trip affair as you get to see the quarries under the hill.

The Netherton Tunnel (Wikipedia info) had been mentioned on here not long before I went (I just looked up my Garmin logs & my ride was in June 2013).

I've shipped the route I took into Cycle.travel (link) if anyone is interested in where the tunnel is & where I went. If I did it again I might try a different way from the Uni across to the Dudley Canal near Blackheath but it was OK & it was only a hastily planned route the evening before we travelled down.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:Brompton touring!

I tried this on the recommendation of a friend

Load up Brompton and Cyclone Trailer

Take train to City

Spend a couple of days on Brompton with front bag investigating the city and its environs, with public transport where appropriate.

Then move on to another town / city and repeat

and how did you find it?