Northern Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fireflyinjuly

Northern Ireland

Post by fireflyinjuly »

I would like to ride a circular tour of this beautiful country.

Has anybody done it?

Looking at the Sustrans site I could buy four maps starting in Belfast.

1) Belfast, Down and Armagh Cycle Map.

2) The Causeway Coast and Glens Cycle Map.

2) Derry,Londonderry and The Northwest Cycle Map.

3) The Fermanagh,Lakelands Cycle Map.

Your views would be appreciated.

Thank you.
NUKe

Re: Northern Ireland

Post by NUKe »

http://www.cycleni.com
Is a good starting point.
have toured quite a bit over there, as my wife is from Cookstown. You won't regret your choice.
What distance do you want to cover and what would you like to see?
The north coast is great route and you get the sites like the giants causeway , bush mills
Londonderry is a little gem of a walled city, the Sperrin's and the Morn mountains arestunning . North coast route has many features. Loch Neagh would be a good focus as its 100 miles round and you can visit lots of other place Antrim, and Portadown can both be reached with minor deviations . I wouldn't worry too much about the cycle routes just avoid the main roads. If you want a car free route Portadown to Newry canal is a virtually traffic free 20 miles of cycle path. There are main tourist sites in NI some are to do with the recent past, but some are ancient. The Folks Museum at Omagh is worth a day if you want a non bike day.
NUKe

Post by Gontlib »

I live in NI.
You should consider the Sustrans 'Belfast to Ballyshannon' route as far as Pettigo.
It gets you out of Belfast on a traffic free towpath.

Then a circuit of the lakes on route 91.
Then route 92 through Omagh and Strabane to Derry.
Finally route 93 across the north coast and Antrim coast to Belfast.
Depends how much time you have and any specific things you want to see.

Also worth crossing the border (before Brexit closes it :) to see Ballyshannon and/or Donegal
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Gontlib wrote:I live in NI.

Also worth crossing the border (before Brexit closes it :) to see Ballyshannon and/or Donegal

The might of the British Army couldn't close the border why do you think the EU would be able to ???

Ride the Ards peninsula, east coast from Bangor, take the ferry at Strangford and ride off into the Mournes ...love it ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
GasPipeWarrior

Post by GasPipeWarrior »

Subject to confirmation on 2018 services - there are the Lough Foyle and Lough Swilly ferries which enable a coastal tour from Causeway Coast & Downhill - Inishowen & Malin Head - Fanad Head and then the coast round to Slieve League, Donegal Town, and then wherever you wish to cross the border.

You'd miss out on Derry and Letterkenny though, but avoid a fair amount of heavy traffic that heads through Derry for the bridges over the Foyle.
fireflyinjuly

Post by fireflyinjuly »

Thank you for your replies.

My initial idea was to cycle from Belfast to Londonderry on route 93 - but was unsure how to reach this route from Belfast?

But my friends ,both very seasoned world travellers ,have just spent 2 weeks touring Northern Ireland by car and were so enthusiastic about the country,its culture and the warm and welcoming people I have expanded my thoughts as follows:-

Belfast to Londonderry ,then to Donegal,Sligo,Carrick,Lisburn back to Belfast.2 weeks?

Touring by bike means that I cannot cover the whole country in one go - but could tag on week to visit places by car.
Gontlib

Post by Gontlib »

fireflyinjuly wrote:Thank you for your replies.
My initial idea was to cycle from Belfast to Londonderry on route 93 - but was unsure how to reach this route from Belfast.

Route 93 starts from central Belfast passing through the docks, so assuming you're arrive by boat (or city airport) it's easy.

Edited to add city airport
Last edited by Gontlib on 25 Oct 2017, 12:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Gontlib

Post by Gontlib »

landsurfer wrote:The might of the British Army couldn't close the border why do you think the EU would be able to ???

It was a joke

Ride the Ards peninsula, east coast from Bangor, take the ferry at Strangford and ride off into the Mournes ...love it ...

Yes I ride this every week. It's very nice, but there are better places.
Gontlib

Post by Gontlib »

fireflyinjuly wrote:Thank you for your replies.
Belfast to Londonderry ,then to Donegal,Sligo,Carrick,Lisburn back to Belfast.2 weeks?

That's basically my suggested route but anti-clockwise. 2 weeks is enough.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Gontlib wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The might of the British Army couldn't close the border why do you think the EU would be able to ???

It was a joke

Yes I ride this every week. It's very nice, but there are better places.

No harm to yea, but .. sorry, I left the smiley off the end ... :)

Lots of my childhood was spent, from the age of 10, cycling all over the Ards peninsula. My family are from Bangor.
When over to visit we are based in Greyabbey, at my sisters. I still ride around the local area, love it!
Give us a list of the "Better Places".
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.