Roscoff to Bordeaux

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Roscoff to Bordeaux

Post by bobzeller »

I would be grateful for some advice. I am planning a tour for next spring going from Roscoff to Bordeaux and I am trying to decide whether I should use the Velodyssey or a route that sticks to minor roads. Three years ago I did a short stint on the Velodyssey, on my way to Douarnenez, and I found it to be rather boring but maybe it gets better. RWGPS came up with one that uses a bit of the Velodyssey but then sticks to D roads while taking in Nantes and other towns. Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Bob
ChrisF

Re: Roscoff to Bordeaux

Post by ChrisF »

Not sure which bit you did before (Douarnenez isn't on the route at all!) but from Carhaix to beyond Redon it's almost all along the Brest-Nantes canal - flat but often pretty. Can be a bit boring after a while, but I've done some sections several times and still enjoy it. Some lovely towns along the way (Josselin, Malestroit, ....)
I also tried the section south of Nantes one time and was disappointed - the route wiggles in and out of resorts, taking all sorts of dubious bits of path to avoid main roads and it seemed to take ages to get anywhere. I gave up at St-Hilaire and went back up into a different part of Brittany instead.

Further south of that I'll leave it to others to comment on, although I've often read that the section south of Arcachon can be boring (too much similar forest).
Chris F, Cornwall
juice

Post by juice »

I cycled from Bayonne to St Malo dropped off by the euro bike bus home on the ferry. It was around 1000km all but 200km on dedicated bike tracks always very close to the coast except across Brittany and quite flat. It was great. I camped all the way.
Please ask if you want more detail.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks for the info. It is very much appreciated. I'll continue looking at the routing options, but, at the moment, I think avoiding the velo vertes and sticking to the D roads will suit me best.

Cheers