Planning my first expedition (South Coast)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
johnston411

Planning my first expedition (South Coast)

Post by johnston411 »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my first expedition and want to cycle from Whitstable in Kent to Lands End.

I'm trying to work out if there is a way to do it that sticks to the south coast rather than following cycle route 3 or 2.

Have any of you completed this and if so have you got any pointers?

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll camp en route carrying the necessary on the bike or travel lodge/youth hostel. Any advice greatly received :-)
Tigerbiten

Re: Planning my first expedition (South Coast)

Post by Tigerbiten »

I did it last year on my way around the coast.
It all depends on what roads you're happy to cycle on and which ones you want to avoid as to how close to the coast you can stay.
I'm happy on most roads and only try and avoid major trunk roads, so I found it relatively easy to make the route up as I went along.

When you say stick to the coast, do you mean .......
1:- You go down every road that's closest to the coast,even if they are dead ends.
2:- You mostly follow every road closest to the coast so long as they are not dead ends.
3:- You mainly stick to main-ish roads, but will take some minor roads.

1's the hardest, 3's the fastest, I did 2 ...... :D
Expect it to get "very" hilly in Devon and Cornwall if you stick to minor roads ........ :D

I camp the whole time I'm on tour.
But I'm willing to stop somewhere indoors if the weather gets very bad.
What you don't want to do is carry camping gear and only very rarely use it.
In that case, the extra weight is not worth the hassle of carry it.

Luck ........... :D
robgul

Post by robgul »

I have a route from Exeter to Whitstable (via the Isle of Wight) that hugs the coast most of the way but is on quiet roads - if you want to PM an email address I'll dig out the details and send.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
johnston411

Post by johnston411 »

Thanks for replying folks.

Dead ends aren't my cup of tea unless there is so something of interest to see before you turn around :-)

I'm happy on most roads but not a fan of dual carriageways etc. Want to enjoy it without fearing for my life!

Camping wise it would be just the tent and sleeping gear. Wouldn't be planning on cooking to save on equipment and weight.

I've driven the hilly bits of Devon thanks to a very confused google maps navigation experience. Scary enough in a car. Went back this year and the coastal route was lovely between Dawlish and Torquay etc.

Another quick question. Better to cycle there and train back or train there and cycle back wind wise and elevation wise?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

johnston411 wrote:Another quick question. Better to cycle there and train back or train there and cycle back wind wise and elevation wise?

Going East -> West.
Puts you right next to the sea, so better views. This means a lot of turns are left handed, so you won't cross as many roads versus going the other direction. So slightly less hassle/safer/more enjoyable. That's one of the main reasons why I went that direction. But as I was going all the way around a lot of the reasons for West-> East weren't applicable.

Going West -> East.
The worst weather tends to be out of the SW down there. So wet weather at your back. But you can still have easterly winds if unlucky.
It's easier to book a cheap ticket in advance as you know exactly when you plan to start but when you finish can be a bit iffy. Downside is if you bailout then you end up buying two train ticket not just one.
You hit Devon and Cornwall with fresh legs. The rides probably not long enough to cycle yourself fitter as I recon it takes around 5 weeks on the road to do that while on tour. Downside is you try to hard for the first few days and knacker yourself for the rest of the ride.

Luck ......... :D
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

This route that I knocked up for someone else on here a few weeks back shows the way to stay closest to the sea between Whitstable ( and Brighton - might give you a start :-)

http://cycle.travel/map/journey/51286

Cheers

C.O.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It is up to you how you do the trip.

The first time I cycled from Portsmouth to Kent, I detoured along the South Downs Way. As I got older, I chose a more coastal route, but in cases like Sussex, I went in a line from Emsworth through Chichester to Bognor rater than follow the strict coastal route via Selsey. I also cute corner in a similar way at Dungeness

Part of the fun is planning and finding your own routes
hondated

Post by hondated »

robgul wrote:I have a route from Exeter to Whitstable (via the Isle of Wight) that hugs the coast most of the way but is on quiet roads - if you want to PM an email address I'll dig out the details and send.

Rob

Rob just got back this evening after a few days on the I.O.W and I am glad I didn't take my bike as I didn't realise how hilly it is.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Not sure about the route apart from between Poole (where I live) and Brighton. The NCN route is really good along there.

Dont' forget that the prevailing winds are South Westerly so If it was me I'd have my start point at Lands End.

One thing I can reccommend is Warmshowers:

https://www.warmshowers.org/