Scotland in March.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cheesemonster

Scotland in March.

Post by cheesemonster »

Hi,

So I have some time off early next year and would really like to do a bit of bikepacking up in Scotland. I'm wanting a proper adventure but wondering if Mid March early April would be impossible. I'm not afraid of a bit of cold/wind/snow/rain but i also want to ride and not just push/carry my bike through deep snow all the time, don't mind a bit of hike a bike.

I have a 29+ 3" rubber so a little snow would be fun.

Not sure of a route yet but want to stick to dirt as much as possible.

Thanks for any help.
rualexander

Re: Scotland in March.

Post by rualexander »

I have a week off at the end of March most years, been to Mull a few times, last couple of years I've done a bothy tour in southern Scotland, Borders and Galloway.
Perhaps surprisingly the weather has been very good for most of the week in all of these trips.
We've had some decent warm sunny spells in April in recent uears too.
Much better time of year for Scotland than July and August.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I've been in the Highlands and it is absolutely glorious, have been riding in shorts in glorious sunshine while all around the mountain tops have snow on them, but have done the same out in Mallorca..... Didn't have to carry bike over snowdrifts etc... :lol:
I do recall that as the sun went down I was quickly dressed back for winter cycling.. as the layers got piled back on.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cheesemonster

Post by cheesemonster »

Thanks thats reassuring. I have a good tent and big bown sleeping bag and hopefully staying in bothies as much as possible. I should have 3 or 4 weeks if all goes well from mid march.
cheesemonster

Post by cheesemonster »

Would the highland trail be rideable around then?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

cheesemonster wrote:Would the highland trail be rideable around then?

Just depends on what the weather has been like over the preceding weeks, how much snow is still lying, etc, etc.
In a 3 or 4 week period at that time of year you are pretty much bound to get some good weather and some bad weather!
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

If the weather is mild you might run the risk of being eaten alive by midges. Better to go earlier than later to avoid the wee beasties.

It should be pretty spectacular in march with snow still on the mountains, still a bit chilly at night though. You'll need a warm sleeping bag.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
cheesemonster

Post by cheesemonster »

I was hoping going early i would miss the midges totally.

After reading lots Im thinking i may try the highland trail and explore a bit of the cairngorms on the way past. Looks doable with the time i have.

Is there a good ride from Glasgow to get up to that way?

Thanks for the help :D
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

cheesemonster wrote:I was hoping going early i would miss the midges totally.

After reading lots Im thinking i may try the highland trail and explore a bit of the cairngorms on the way past. Looks doable with the time i have.

Is there a good ride from Glasgow to get up to that way?

Thanks for the help :D

I can't remember whether it's mid-April or mid-May when "The Midges" would appear! But everyspring on camping in Glencoe on the way North there was never an issue; on the return 2-3 weeks later a couple of days past mid-April or mid-May the midges had always appeared. You should be ok
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Appearance of Midges can depend on the preceding winter / weather, we were up there in late May, suffering so dropped into a shop for anything they had to be told they had sold out of most items, as the Midges had been bad from early/mid april, and that a mild winter had accounted for this.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting thread, many thanks for starting. I like the sound of an early midge free camping start.

Should be able to quite easily get some cheap train fares from the south at that time of the year.
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I shudder, or shiver, to think how you can survive in a tent in Scotland in a typical March.
You’re all far tougher than me for even contemplating it. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I can't remember exactly when but a few years ago there was a heatwave in March followed by a horrible wet summer. You have to just go for it and take whatever is thrown at you.
Easter is early next year (end of March, beginning of April) so things may be busier than a normal March.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Midges also depend a huge amount on your location and weather. I tend to visit the islands or the west coast at various times of year. I've hardly ever had any problems with midges on the Outer Hebrides in May-Aug. Had horrendous clouds of them on Hoy in June. This year I visited Muck, Canna, Eigg and Rum in early May, four islands very close to each other, not a sign of a midge on 3, but Rum was terrible with them! In late June we had a lovely midge free week on Mull, however on the way up we stopped off at Crianlarich which had hordes of them. The owner of the B&B there told us that it had been bad for all of June! I'm lucky in that these days I can keep an eye on the weather and just go at short notice, doing this lets you grab those wonderful sunny weeks that seem to happen at odd times of the year.

Most of the time I've found that on the coast or outer islands it is too windy for them. This may not always be a good thing though, especially if you are camping! One thing I will say is that I camp a lot and always read with interest those that go ultra lightweight with just a tarp. I can't imagine doing that in Scotland, if the midges are bad I want to be able to retreat into the tent and get away from them! Similarly in high winds I want a tent that I can trust and that will shed the wind as well as possible.
radek

Post by radek »

gloomyandy wrote: Most of the time I've found that on the coast or outer islands it is too windy for them. This may not always be a good thing though, especially if you are camping! One thing I will say is that I camp a lot and always read with interest those that go ultra lightweight with just a tarp. I can't imagine doing that in Scotland, if the midges are bad I want to be able to retreat into the tent and get away from them! Similarly in high winds I want a tent that I can trust and that will shed the wind as well as possible.

Something like this could go under the tarp to prevent the midges from eating you live.
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-r ... lsrc=aw.ds