Oban - Port Appin - Lismore route - on a trike ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Oban - Port Appin - Lismore route - on a trike ?

Post by hoarder »

I've got a day off next week whilst working in Oban, and will have the trike (a recumbent) with me - so wondered about taking the more coastal route to Dunbeg, then the A85 and A828 to Port Appin, then a ferry to Point on Lismore, and a ferry from Achnacroish back to Oban. The online photos make me think the Oban-Achnacroish ferry will accomodate a tricyle easily, but a picture of the Port Appin-Point passenger ferry looks a lot smaller. Has anyone who has used it comment if they think a tricycle would be carried ? Thanks.
gloomyandy

Re: Oban - Port Appin - Lismore route - on a trike ?

Post by gloomyandy »

I've nor used that ferry, but the Lismore website says they carry bicycles! I'd be tempted to give them a call. The timetable here, gives a number:
https://www.calmac.co.uk/port-appin-lis ... -timetable
but it looks like you may need to call at just the right time!
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

I used this ferry about 6 years ago, but must admit my memory of it isn't too good. I do remember it was small, but it took my touring bike ok, so I suspect it would depend on how busy it was when you were there as to whether it could carry a trike. I don't remember it being that busy when I used it.

Perhaps you could do the ride in reverse, and then if there was a problem you would just have to ride back down Lismore to Achnacroish having ridden up it. it's a lovely island, so that wouldn't be a hardship.
awparker

Post by awparker »

I am just back from a weekend in Oban and did exactly this route.

As previous posters have said it is quite a small ferry and I do not think you could get a trike on board. On this trip there were 6 bikes including my Brompton. All of these were lifted on by the crew into the wheel house before the 10 or so passengers got on and went through the wheelhouse to the aft cabin. There is an open deck right aft but a trike would need lashing on if carried there.

The crew were very helpful and I would agree with making a phone call first. We were told that the wheelhouse has a capacity for 5 sheep but no other details were given!

If you do get to the north end of Lismore look out for the telephone box by the jetty which has an honesty box for cakes from the local bakery. Excellent. The cafe at the heritage centre midway between the ferries is also very good.

I will try to post some photos if I get a chance later today but wanted to get this message off quickly.

Alan
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Thank you, all.

To avoid any confusion when I ring the Ferry at Port Appin, I've measured my trike and it's just over 2 sheep wide by 2 sheep long. It does fold down to 1 sheep 1 lamb length, which may or may not help.

I like the suggestion to ride Lismore first, and then see if the Ferry from Point can accommodate; then that's a bonus - everyone describes Lismore as a beautiful place to be, so even though the weather forecast is pretty gloomy, I can still enjoy a day away from work.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

The heritage centre cafe is good, so worth stopping there both ways! I like the sound of the telephone box cafe, makes me want to head up that way again soon.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Thanks for bringing this up. I've visited a lot of the W. Coast islands but so far I've not been to Lismore. I'm going to try and fix that next year I think, it does sound nice.
awparker

Post by awparker »

Just a further thought. One advert for the ferry timetable said that the phone would only be manned when the ferry was moored on the mainland so you may need to time your contact carefully. Enjoy Lismore it was great.

Alan
awparker

Post by awparker »

PS Do post to let us know how you get on

AWP
Graham

Post by Graham »

There is a good photo of the small ferry vessel on the Wikipedia page for Lismore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lismore,_Scotland

That shows the constraints that you may face with the trike.
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

I've brought along some newly-aquired lengthy cam straps - the type normally used to secure a items to a car roof of bike rack - in the hope that if there's enough flat space on the ferry, the trike can be lashed down to everyone's satisfaction. Can but try !
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Can now confirm the Passenger Ferry from Port Appin to Lismore is able to take non-standard cycles; the two-man team stowed my trike in the wheelhouse, no problems. They said they could have also put in in front of the wheelhouse.
Port Appin - Lismore ferryboat
Port Appin - Lismore ferryboat
DSCN2679 small.jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Where they stowed my recumbent trike
Where they stowed my recumbent trike
Where they could have put it
Where they could have put it

Lismore is indeed a delight to ride; both tarmaced and rough track-roads from one end to the other, with very little traffic - I caught the 10.00 ferry from Port Appin (apparently it runs every hour in summer between 8am and 8pm, 10 minutes duration / 15 minutes past the hour for the return journey), and the return ticket was £3.70. Parking available opposite the jetty in Port Appin. Despite today's cloud, mist, wind and rain, there were enough breaks in the weather to get sight of the mainland, and nearby islands. 75 pence bought a single sheet B&W map/summary for the island at the the Gaelic Heritage Museum Visitor Centre (good coffee and cake in the cafe). Having explored all the roads around the island, I got the 4.15 return ferry, particularly enjoying the last mile and half back to the jetty - almost all downhill.
Looking west toward Mull - Achinduin road
Looking west toward Mull - Achinduin road
DSCN2696 small.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Cake, anyone ?
Cake, anyone ?
awparker

Post by awparker »

Glad it worked out for you.

For future reference I think that there is break in the hourly ferry service at 1pm from Port Appin. This fact made me speed down from the cycle track near Castle Stalker in order to avoid a 2hr wait on the jetty.

Alan