Sandstone Way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Galloper

Sandstone Way

Post by Galloper »

The off road section just north of the village of Chatton has had the hedges trimmed recently and there is about a half mile section which is badly strewn with thorns. You can avoid this bit using local roads.

2 punctures :(
Gattonero

Re: Sandstone Way

Post by Gattonero »

Tubeless tyres or kevlar strips would be your friend there, I use the latter ones and never had a puncture in the last decade :shock:
It looks an interesting route, tell use more! How's the terrain to deal with? Thanks!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

That's a renarkable record gatto. Do you mean kevlar strips built into a particular tyre or strips you have added yourself?

I usually have very few punctures as I very carefully and rather often check for debris, but have had two recent punctures in a new Marathon Cross tyre.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

They are separate strips.
I use the Geax ones, which are over a decade old now and don't show deterioration. they are thin and dense, but fairly supple.
There is also a similar product, the Panaracer Flat-Away. Those are thicker and very supple, but will deteriorate after an year of constant use (on the road may last longer as the tyre doesn't flex to such extent) and though they repel most thorns/glass they're not as good as the Geax.

The Geax ones are expensive, but they last. In the long run, time and inner tubes saved will repay them 8)

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

The terrain is a fair old mix but expect lots of climbs and stunning scenery. I haven't ridden the whole route, just two out and backs from Wooler, one heading north and one south. I enjoyed the southerly ride more as it takes you right up into the hills. Although there is a fair amount of road work, the off road sections require an mtb, some sections can be quite challenging. I'd recommend that you carry food with you, I found that, out of season, cafes shown on the map may be closed. Oh, and spare tubes :)