Old inner tube valve as tubeless valve?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Old inner tube valve as tubeless valve?

Post by mnichols »

Anyone tried using a valve from an old inner tube as a tubeless valve?

Tubeless valves are quite expensive, whereas the valve from an old inner tube is, well, just the valve from an old inner tube
foxyrider

Re: Old inner tube valve as tubeless valve?

Post by foxyrider »

You might possibly get away with one of the old bolted valves but I can't see a standard moulded in valve working at all, how are you going to fix it in place, make a good seal?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

foxyrider wrote:You might possibly get away with one of the old bolted valves but I can't see a standard moulded in valve working at all, how are you going to fix it in place, make a good seal?

I’ve cut one out of a tube and left a small bit of rubber that I was going to put some of the sealant on, then screw it down tight from the other side. Doesn’t look any different to the ones you buy. Think some people stick them down with gorilla tape

I probably won’t bother unless someone says that they’ve tried it and it works

I’ve already ordered some proper valves but I was just curious
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

if the hole is tight then you can seal it and use the threaded nuts they used to put on them. no reason why it shouldn't work, you will probably find plenty from our american friends.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

crazydave789 wrote:if the hole is tight then you can seal it and use the threaded nuts they used to put on them. no reason why it shouldn't work, you will probably find plenty from our american friends.

Sorry, you’ve lost me with the American friends bit?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

anything we think of you will usually find in a youtube video already
RickH

Post by RickH »

There's always the "ghetto" option of using the valve still attached to the tube & slitting the tube along its circumference on the opposite side to the valve (so the valve is now attached to a flat circle of rubber). My understanding is you usually need to use a couple of sizes smaller tube (i.e. 20" tube in a 26" wheel) so the "band" is tight round the rim.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mnichols wrote:Anyone tried using a valve from an old inner tube as a tubeless valve?

Tubeless valves are quite expensive, whereas the valve from an old inner tube is, well, just the valve from an old inner tube

If you want to take the risk, it may not install at all (the rubber at the base being too thin), or worst case scenario the valve will fail in the middle of a ride leaving you to deal with a tyre full of sealant to open and put an inner tube in.
Is it worth? Everyone has a different view about money/time.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

It works if you can leave a decent lump of rubber behind and wind the nut down well without creating gaps.
Using an old but smaller inner tube also works, some times better.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

RickH wrote:There's always the "ghetto" option of using the valve still attached to the tube & slitting the tube along its circumference on the opposite side to the valve (so the valve is now attached to a flat circle of rubber). My understanding is you usually need to use a couple of sizes smaller tube (i.e. 20" tube in a 26" wheel) so the "band" is tight round the rim.

I have this setup on my old mountain bike.
LeicaM4

Post by LeicaM4 »

I’ve used valves from inner tubes I removed when I converted mine to tubeless no issues whatsoever since I did it and it’s seven months into the conversion and I’ve had no issues at all.