Where do you store kit after flying to destination

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Warin61

Re: Where do you store kit after flying to destination

Post by Warin61 »

I remove a few PSI .. but only a few. This 'deflates' the tyre .. but not fully. If asked if I have 'deflated the tyres' I answer truthfully 'yes'. The reason for leaving most of the air in the tyres is to protect the rim.
bohrsatom

Re: Where do you store kit after flying to destination

Post by bohrsatom »

Last flight out of Gatwick - British Airways, not that it matters - the chap at oversize baggage says that my tyres were overinflated and needed to have all the air let out 'for safety' due to the 'high speed belts' they use in the airport. I said I had already deflated the tyres (which was truthful as I had indeed let some air out) but he wouldn't have it. No amount of pleading would change his mind, even if I said I'd rather run the risk of a puncture in order to protect my bike!

To answer the original question I have always done A-to-B tours but it is a big stress dealing with the flight out and the return home. A few seconds of negligence from the ground staff and the entire trip could be ruined. As a result I'm starting to come around to a circular tour with a hard bike box where you can be confident that your bike will arrive in one piece. I can't image any hotel of a reasonable size would have trouble storing some bags for a couple of weeks in return for staying two or three nights.