Tips for Carrabridge to Pitlochry + Winter Wild Camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
radek

Re: Tips for Carrabridge to Pitlochry + Winter Wild Camping

Post by radek »

meic wrote:As I said at the start, make sure that you can ride the bike with them on.
They are exceptionally bad with drop bar STIs, where they let the levers slip out as if changing gear when you try and brake.

The gloves have arrived today!

Fortunately I do not have STIs on my drop bar, but I have an additional traditional style break leavers which helps. The gloves work/feel great for both breaking and shifting. Actually, I am very impressed how well they are made - they seem to be indestructible, supper warm and at the same feel quite comfortable. They also have a gore tex membrane build in. All for £10 :D I may buy more of this army surplus staff, e.g., I found a 100% wool beanie for £9 only.

Just have been watching touring in Alaska ! OMG https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... D6sEXyYNFY
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The (dry) cold when cycling is usually a managable thing, given the heat generated.
Fingers and toes can suffer. But a good flap and stamp about can usually restore the blood flow.

Cold and wet is pretty awful though.
Can be very testing.

Above all IMHO buy the best sleeping bag you can afford. Keep it dry!
Then you can, stay comfortable, rest reasonably well and restore yourself.

Be very very careful brewing and cooking if in the fly sheet, especially when tired and cold.
It requires an almost obsessive and single focus amount of care. No distractions,
A tent fire or a scald or burn or spill is to be avoided at all costs!!
meic

Post by meic »

If your feet get cold while cycling, getting off and walking or running a couple of hundred metres works wonders at warming them up a bit.
Yma o Hyd
Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

I've camped in winter in the Cairngorms several times, between December and late February on winter mountaineering and cross-country skiing trips and I'd suggest being aware of condensation in your tent. We breathe out a lot of water vapour while we sleep and on cold nights this will freeze on the surface of your sleeping bag and on the inside of the tent. In the morning as the tent warms up this can thaw which then wets the sleeping bag surface. On a down sleeping bag this can cause a big problem because wet or damp down will not keep you warm.

I would suggest instead of taking a down sleeping bag, consider taking a synthetic filling sleeping bag. Synthetic materials will keep you warn when wet and generally cost a lot less than their down counterparts. They weigh more and take up more space in your panniers but the weight difference isn't really noticeable on a cycle tour. Something like this one;

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/softie-expansion-5

And I would spend the money that you would save from not buying the Rab Down bag on one of these;

https://www.lansdaleltd.com/buffalo/men ... tions=cart

I like Merino wool products but once they are wet - either from your sweat or condensation - they are difficult to dry out when camping. Buffalo shirts will still make you sweat but they are brilliant at 'breathing' and as long as you are moving and creating some body heat the material will wick away the moisture, leaving you dry. They are not waterproof but theyt are not designed to be. They are designed to be worn next to the skin for maximum wicking and the user can operate the pit zips to keep at a comfortable temperature.I have used my Buffalo Big Face shirt for ice climbing (very physical activity) down to -11 in Scotland and also next to the skin, for cycling in winter when the temperature is between +5 and -7. I would though recommend the Mountain Shirt rather than the Big Face/Cycle Shirt as the latter two have a high cut waist which (on me) rides up and leaves a cold spot.

Whatever you choose to do, have a great trip and please let us know how you get on.
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been thinking about getting a synthetic bag, but the size is an issue for me. My synthetic choice was also Snugpak, but a different model.

Then, in a local shop I went inside the Rab down bag and have instantly fall in love with it!!! I am yet to test it outside, but I slept with the balcony window open when it was 1C and I had to unzip the bag.

My tent allows a lot of draft in so in theory condensation should not be a problem. However, it may get cold with the wind chill factor. I am thinking about getting a snugpak jungle bag to be used as a sleeping bag liner or over blanket. It is cheep, small and water repellent and has multiple uses.

I am trying not to take front panniers. My tent goes on the handle bar. Tarp under the cross bar and the additional synthetic bag could go into a dry sack to be attached to the front rack. I have panniers on the rear rack. I have managed to fit all of my sleeping things (including sleeping bag) and clothing change into one pannier which will be opened only before sleeping to prevent water getting in. The other pannier will keep my waterproofs, cooking items, food, toiletries etc so any item that my get accidently wet, but I do not care ;) I have a huge old school :) foam multimat in a huge dry sack on the top of the rack.

The Buffalo shirt looks great, but I cannot justify buying it when I already have all of those wool items. Indeed, wool takes long long time to dry, but I am taking a lot of measures to avoid getting it wet.

Recently, I have tested my waterproofs through cycling in mild rain for 3h around the city. Apart from two places, I was bone dry. Very little water got through the neck of my jacket and my socks were wet around the ankle area. Heavy rain or longer cycling would make my shoes wet inside... Hence, I am getting hill waking gaiters :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, the waterproofs worked surprisingly well and I did not overheat too much. Although, I have learned that I need to take it easy on the uphills.

Gloves worked kind of OK, but their gore tex outsides were saturated with water and it took over a day to dry them indoors ! Taking them off and on was pain, but my hands were perfectly dry and comfortably warm. I will only use them for cycling. I have another pair of lightweight ski gloves that I intend to use during breaks and after cycling.

Just now I am cutting out a footprint for my small tent :)

I am planning to test my sleep system in local woods.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It's worth bearing Inshriach bothy in mind, should you not fancy camping. It's in the forest near Feshiebridge.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/347796
radek

Post by radek »

Thank you for giving me a perfect backup plan !

Now I’m thinking that I should camp somewhere in the forest near the bothy. If things go wrong, I can always evacuate myself to the bothy. The area also looks nice :mrgreen:

The DIY tyvek footprint for the tent is ready !
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you camp near the bothy (within 2-300 m), regard yourself as using it, and take note of the bothy code.
https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/bothy-code/
keithg

Post by keithg »

Hi, I live in Perth and grew up in Pitlochry, I’m a Sutrans volunteer for NCN7 on the stretch you plan to ride.
I really cannot stress enough how much the weather and snow conditions will influence your planned trip. It is extremely likely that a part or all of the Drumochter stretch of NCN7 route will be unrideable due to lying snow in December. I definitely would not recommend riding on the A9 in snowy or icy conditions....under any circumstances at all. Its doable in an emergency but if the road is snowy then sections of the dual carriageway may well only be drivable or ploughed for one lane and riding this accompanied by heavy lorries would be very unwise or at best unpleasant indeed.
If there is snow on the Drumochter Pass, don’t even start this ride. This is likely but not certain. Last year, it might have been possible some of December but on other years only skis would get you over much of the bike track through most of December.
Trust me, I know this route very well. I made several mileposts for this section but that’s another story.
I would think again or be very flexible or be prepared or expect to turn around.
A better route might be to do the Gaick Pass in summer or late Spring/Autumn, rideable the whole way on an MTB or most of the way on a tourer. There are several rivers to ford which might be very challenging or impassable if they are in spate (ie after heavy rain). This is a lovely way through the Drumochter hills and a scenic and historic pass in summer conditions. A fine long day out.
radek

Post by radek »

I really cannot stress enough how much the weather and snow conditions will influence your planned trip. It is extremely likely that a part or all of the Drumochter stretch of NCN7 route will be unrideable due to lying snow in December

Thanks a lot for this valuable info ! Is the Drumochter stretch of NCN7 starting in Dalwhinnie and finishing in Pitlochry ? I’m thinking, if the weather conditions are indeed too difficult, I could always get a train from Dalwhinnie to Pitlochry. What do you think about this contingency plan ?

Do you have any info about the likely riding conditions between Carrbridge and Dalwhinnie?

Now I am definitely taking MTB tires :mrgreen:
radek

Post by radek »

I have found a gov web page with traffic cameras and readings from weather stations. There appears to be some snow... The road surface temps are close to freezing.

https://trafficscotland.org/map/index.a ... 68&zoom=10

16 days left I am starting on 16/12

Last night, I made the first attempt to pack the bicycle, photo bellow:
Attachments
rower10.jpg
keithg

Post by keithg »

1. Yes, the train option would work to bypass the Drumochter Pass bike track (perhaps from Dalwhinnie to Blair Atholl, this would keep you on minor roads with a good chance of gritting and salting to keep ice-free-ish, avoiding the bike only section which is most problematic in winter). The section from Carrbridge to Dalwhinnie are on minor roads. This may well work but it depends on the very changeable weather. Icy roads are dangerous on 2 wheels. The bike track starts about 2 miles south of Dalwhinnie so you could ride there and check it out and back track if it was snowed in. The train station at Dalwhinnie is an especially remote and exposed place to hang out waiting for a train. There’s a cafe nearby but I think its closed in winter.
I can’t remember if there’s a waiting room https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-jo ... lities/dlw

2. By chance I drove the A9 today and the roads are fine north of Pitlochry, the bike track over Drumochter has a thin covering of snow which may well disappear in the forthcoming thaw, not certain however.

I should have thought of the road webcams, very useful, if there’s roadside snow visible, the bike track would be challenging or unrideable.

https://trafficscotland.org/livetraffic ... ew/?cam=65

You’ll have an adventure if you go, just be sure its a safe one and preferably enjoyable. This is a lovely route through a rather desolate but striking and beautiful part of Scotland, personally I’d do it when the weather was more favourable. I don’t want to discourage you, just be the voice of your mother! “Be careful” my dear old mum used to say when I set off and I always ignored her, occasionally I wished I’d listened to her and more often, I had an adventure despite her advice.
If you do go, it would be interesting to know how it went for you.
Good Luck!
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks for the good luck wishes. It looks that it is getting cold. Aviemore has -2 degrees Celsius just now. Tomorrow, according to BBC Weather, it could go down to – 13 at night. It is also snowing. However, snow is better than rain. Its going to be fun :P I hope ...

One week left until I go.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

keithg wrote:The train station at Dalwhinnie is an especially remote and exposed place to hang out waiting for a train. There’s a cafe nearby but I think its closed in winter.

The Tollhouse grill & bar is on the right just after you turn off down towards the station. Tripadvisor gives its hours as 0800-2300, and reviews for last Dec/Jan, so it's likely to be open. The phone number is +44 1528 522291 if you want to check on the day.

In winter conditions, you should always be aware of your bail out options, along with your rate of progress, distance to go, and darkness time.
I'd want to have got as far as Calvine/Struan before it got too dark, and Drumochter summit is about a quarter of the way between Dalwhinne and there. I'd also want to know the train times, and be aware of possible cancellations.

A lot will depend on your bike & tyres, and how you get on with your wheels sliding about a bit.
Looking at the current view on the Drumochter webcams, I'd go for it and see how I got on (Disc Trucker & Conti Top Contact Winter).
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks a lot for the grill bar and accommodation idea.

Yes it does look that most of the way from Dalwhinne to Calvin's is going downhill which will be helpful. To be honest, I don't have an idea how my bicycle is going to perform going through snow. But I have to start from something and this bicycle tour is a test for my equipment and hopefully will teach me something.

I have 1.95 MTB knobby tires. Still, I will need to be very careful cycling in icy conditions. I do have some experience of mountain biking in winter and general winter cycling ng in town. I know the funny feeling when you are losing control and you are crashing on ice...

I'm most concerned about snow getting stuck under the bike and fenders since there is not a lot of clearance between the tire and mudguard. I am taking cleaning brushes for the chain and cassette. Chain link is a must have.

Snow is also the reason why I'm not taking front panniers. Instead I am bikepacking front of my bike. The rear panniers should be fine since they are higher above the ground.

Indeed I will need to be aware of day time left and the day time will be short. Setting up camp in snow may also take me longer. Sun is up at 8.40 and down at 15.30hrs. I could wake up at 8.00 cook food eat and start packing. Cycle from 8.40 to ~15.00 = 6h.

I noted down the train times just in case, but I'm hoping that everything will go ok and there will not be need for train.