Tips for Carrabridge to Pitlochry + Winter Wild Camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
keithg

Re: Tips for Carrabridge to Pitlochry + Winter Wild Camping

Post by keithg »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was ski touring near Newtonmore (on your route) today and was able to ski from the roadside (just).
There’s about 50mm of snow on the bike track at Drumochter currently. Its old snow and its getting harder and more consolidated.
The main road nearby is entirely snow free and is rideable currently but would not be a pleasant ride
Keep your plans flexible if you are determined to go!
radek

Post by radek »

This is a very important information. Thanks for letting me know. 50mm !! Do you know in what condtion are the roads from carrbridge to aviemore and then to dalwhinne ? I need to change my plan... But what to do... :? :?:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Temperatures are forecast to be back above freezing from sunday onwards through next week so the snow may well be all gone by the time you are on that section.
radek

Post by radek »

Temperatures are forecast to be back above freezing from sunday onwards through next week so the snow may well be all gone by the time you are on that section

Unfortunately, I have time only from the 16th to 18th Dec which is this weekend + Monday. Later, I am away for XMass abroad.

I need to make a new plan or make adjustments to the old one.
keithg

Post by keithg »

The roads from Carrbridge to Pitlochry were all OK, likely to be snow free for most of the day but BBC weather forecasts freezing overnight temps for the next 5 days so they may be icy in the mornings.
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks keithg for letting me know. I am most worried about drumochter pass being covered with snow. I will give it a go and will be very careful with ice on roads. To be honest I am getting a bit anxious about this tour :P In worst case secenario I could take the A9 to get through drumochter. Train times from Dalwhinne to Blair Athol are not that good...for now I will stop thinking about this and she his things will unfold when I get there.

All equipment is ready so I can face the elements :twisted:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The A9 carries a lot of heavy traffic - you really don't want to be sharing a road narrowed by snow and slush with big lorries.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I can't speak to current conditions, in the area, but I cycle in -8 degrees, and while you are correct that it is better not to get sweaty, merino and other wools will still keep you warm, as long as you don't get really wet.

IMO, the biggest problem with cycling in those kind of temperatures is that it is slow going. Even on the road, I don't go as fast at -8 as at +2 degrees. With studded tyres and the clothes needed to keep warm at those temperatures I average about 7 or 8 mph. I also don't think I would plan for more than about 30 miles per day in the conditions described. It's tiring. And if it snows while you are out, it's even more tiring.

One more tip; if you wear an old fashioned cycling cape and put it over your hands, it will do a lot to keep your hands warm. The wind is the biggest problem, especially on downhills. If you don't have, or can't get a cape, use something else as a cover. I've seen people duct tape plastic milk jugs to flat bars and other creative solutions to provide some cover for their hands.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi Radek,
I've been following this thread with interest and some degree of fascination!

I've absolutely no input for you, other than to wish you the best of luck!

Frank
radek

Post by radek »

I am leaving tomorrow. Need to weak up at 5am to get my train :| thanks to you all for the support. Will post back when I get back :lol:

Radek
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Have a great time! Just remember there is no shame in bailing out if the elements are against you.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

LollyKat wrote:Have a great time! Just remember there is no shame in bailing out if the elements are against you.

+1
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Vorpal wrote:One more tip; if you wear an old fashioned cycling cape and put it over your hands, it will do a lot to keep your hands warm. The wind is the biggest problem, especially on downhills. If you don't have, or can't get a cape, use something else as a cover. I've seen people duct tape plastic milk jugs to flat bars and other creative solutions to provide some cover for their hands.

Motorcyclists sometimes use handlebar muffs. I don't know how transferrable these would be to pedal cycles, but at least on flat bars they may help. Paddling pogies (oversized gloves that enclose the paddle shaft) might do something similar (again, flat bars only)... must dig mine out and see if it's practical. I tend to suffer a bit from cold hands (nothing as bad as Raynaud's, just need gloves a bit more than a lot of folk) and have been amazed at how warm pogies keep hands when kayaking in the cold.

EDIT - Google is my friend, and it shows me that some people already make cycling pogies, including drop-bar versions.

And +1 for the good luck and have fun. I must say, having heard the ski touring's okay, I'd sooner be doing that!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks to you all for all of the help. I have learned a great deal from your posts and this made this bicycle tour a success!

Just now, I am on train back to Edinburgh. I have cycled from Aviemore to Dalwhinnie. The Drumochter pass cycle route was literally frozen. The A9 was very very busy. Therefore I took the train from Dalwhinne to Pitlohry.

The ride from Aviemore to Dalwhinnie took me 2 days. I could have done it in one day but it would not be enjoyable. The weather conditions were constantly changing including sun, snow, ice, rain and temps bellow zero, but all went very well. On the way I have visited all of the lochs and other tourist attractions. Each day I would struggle to get up in the morning :lol: the sleeping bag felt like a warm heaven. Long nights were great. I would just watch the stars and listen to the wind. I could not be bothered with reading books or playing on tablet. The pure nature was so relaxing. As Vorpal posted, in winter it is better to take it slowly, what a great advice.

The camping spot next to the bothy was great, thanks andrew_s for your post. However getting to the bothy was a different story... :lol: the forest road was covered with snow and ice haha.

The army gloves were perfect at keeping may hands warm and dry. Snow gaiters saved my shoes and they were dry. My woolly things kept me warm and fresh. There were only a few small problems when my tarp was blowen away by wind in the night and when animals came to my tent at night :lol:

I may put a video together and post it on youtube after xmass. When I get back home I will post some pictures here.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Well done I think.
You will never forget it.