Danube Cycle Route: Vienna to Belgrade

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sukuinage

Danube Cycle Route: Vienna to Belgrade

Post by sukuinage »

Hi everyone.

Thinking of doing the Danube Cycle Route from Vienna to Belgrade next summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on places to see, to visit, sample itinerary or any advice really. Planning to cycle reasonably light, stopping in hotels, guesthouses, B&B's etc. and doing around 100km/ day (max. 120). We're planning doing the trip over a fortnight with a couple of nights in Vienna, Budapest & Belgrade but wondering which other towns are worth seeing more of.
MLJ

Re: Danube Cycle Route: Vienna to Belgrade

Post by MLJ »

Cicerone have an excellent guide book to carry in your pocket.
https://www.cicerone.co.uk/search/?keyword=danube
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

MLJ wrote:Cicerone have an excellent guide book to carry in your pocket.

Thanks, was planning to get a guidebook.
I guess from the lack of other responses that there haven't been too many CTC'ers who have done this route?
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

MLJ wrote:Cicerone have an excellent guide book to carry in your pocket.

Thanks, was planning to get a guidebook.
I guess from the lack of other responses that there haven't been too many CTC'ers who have done this route?
whoof

Post by whoof »

I started a tour in Vienna last year and spent a couple of nights in the Myrthegasse Hostel. We rented a double room which included a good breakfast. It was good value and location, we stored our bikes in the central courtyard.

We picked it as the most common complaints on the reviews were that it didn't have a party atmosphere and there were to few plug sockets to charge your phone in shared dorms.

https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetai ... enna/53031
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

sukuinage wrote:Thinking of doing the Danube Cycle Route from Vienna to Belgrade next summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on places to see, to visit, sample itinerary or any advice really.

Be aware of lack of cafes etc beyond Bratislava. I went from Passau to Budapest last year. Until just past Bratislava there were cycling-specific snack bars every 20-30 km or less, following the signed cycle route. Then suddenly (just after I'd decided it was too soon to stop for my morning coffee) there was nothing more for nearly 100km. I had to veer off into a small town and then only found a vending machine for my lunch!
Also, at some point past Bratislava (after a long very straight and quite boring bit) the path changes from good tarmac/packed sand to loose large gravel which I found impossible to ride on with a touring bike. I crossed over the river into Hungary where there were more facilities but often the path was on badly maintained tracks alongside a main road.
I don't want to put you off, but I much preferred the Austrian sections to the Slovakian/Hungarian ones. Didn't go beyond Budapest so can't comment on that.
Chris F, Cornwall
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

ChrisF wrote:
sukuinage wrote:Thinking of doing the Danube Cycle Route from Vienna to Belgrade next summer and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on places to see, to visit, sample itinerary or any advice really.

Be aware of lack of cafes etc beyond Bratislava. I went from Passau to Budapest last year. Until just past Bratislava there were cycling-specific snack bars every 20-30 km or less, following the signed cycle route. Then suddenly (just after I'd decided it was too soon to stop for my morning coffee) there was nothing more for nearly 100km. I had to veer off into a small town and then only found a vending machine for my lunch!
Also, at some point past Bratislava (after a long very straight and quite boring bit) the path changes from good tarmac/packed sand to loose large gravel which I found impossible to ride on with a touring bike. I crossed over the river into Hungary where there were more facilities but often the path was on badly maintained tracks alongside a main road.
I don't want to put you off, but I much preferred the Austrian sections to the Slovakian/Hungarian ones. Didn't go beyond Budapest so can't comment on that.

Thanks very much for that. I'd thought of doing some of the German/ Austrian parts but fancied seeing somewhere different as I live in Germany and have been to Austria a fair amount. My touring bike has 40mm tyres and my wife's, a converted mountain bike, has 50mm so the tracks shouldn't be too bad for us but sounds like hotels & cafes may be few and far between!
albal1

Post by albal1 »

I did all of the EV6. A few years ago, it s on Crazyguyonabike. From vague memory, East of Bratislava is lacking facilities as others have said, tho I didn't mind that, riding in Serbia reminded me of UK, it's cr*p.